Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing yet
New here - Buying an X3 - need advice

Hello all, like the title says, Im new here and looking to buy a used X3. I've been browsing the forum for a week or so and have noticed some common problems with the X3 but also high praise for the vehicle when they are problem free. Im a recent 323i owner but the car was totaled in an accident. I want another Bimmer because of the way it performed before and during the crash. It could have been worse if I was in a different car IMHO. So my questions are, what should I look out for when "tire-kicking" these vehicles at the Shark Lots? I see allot of transmission issues on the forum so that I know. I just recently drove a white 04 2.5 at a dealer and it was strange because didn't have ANY options but a moon roof. No climate control, no power seats, no steering wheel controls, I mean nothing. But I love the way it drove. It shifted well. I like the close ratios of the 5spd auto. I did some tight figure 8's in a parking lot to check for transfer case binding and everything was smooth. The engine had somewhat of a rattle and realized quickly it was the DISA valve. Also the radios volume was low and the volume knob didnt lower or raise the volume. Is that a bad knob, radio, or a software issue? Any advice for shopping for these jokers would be appreciated. I need to try my best to not end up with a lemon. Cant afford that. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
we bought this 04 2.5 in early summer

anyway.. We had to have a manual transmission as me and my wife dont drive automatics (they will fail)
since we got it.. ive done a Tstat, and put a hitch on it.. Tires and brakes (but that doesnt count)
and i did have to replace the transfer case fluid with the very exspensive quart of BMW fluid that you have to use.. other then that.. The truck has been very good

My advice is look at the cooling system.. the belts.. see how the car was maintained...
We were lucky cause this one came from FLorida and was Oringinaly a Bmw shuttle car

so it saw the dealer for its first 60k
The sunroofs are prone to fail (mine was repair prior to buying it) you can tell buy looking at the fabric of the pillers if the head liner had come down or not.. (its generally said to close it and leave it close)

the suspension is not to much different then your e46 There is no bently service manual for it.. so must of the truck is cross between a 3 and 5 series
Our flip up disply for the radio is in ther perminit up posistion and the dvd player for the nav is busted (it costs a lot) but why do you need nav when we have iphone and droid?

the radio can be outfited to take dvds if you want to do the mulimedia thing...

other then that.. take your time... find the right one..

you almost never ever find the right one the first time..
we took 2 years to find that truck

good luck
Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 AM

Hey Burn, thanks for the reply. Your X3 is sweet.....really clean. I've haven't seen a manual trans X3 as of yet. I'd buy one too if I did. The headliner/sunshade IS coming down on this one. The fabric on the pillars look ok though. All Tue cars I'm looking at are Florida cars (I'm in south florida) So I guess that's a plus unless it stormed with the sunroof stuck open like this one is. I think I might pass on this one though. The dealer doesn't want to budge on price despite everything I've pointed out thats wrong with it and it having NO power or convenience options. Thanks again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Under the lift arms

this 04 with 119k (i think) set us back 11.5
Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 PM

The X3 I mentioned in the previous post is 7990 but it has 149000 miles. Not sure if thats a deal or not. I think KBB says its only worth 6700.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
They did get better with time. Is a late 2006 or early 2008 in budget?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Under the lift arms

Idk about that , I'd stay away from the N motors
Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Idk about that , I'd stay away from the N motors
I don't agree with this.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
No question that the N52 is a more advanced design and more powerful than the M54 but does that always make it a better choice when considering a used X3?

For a used buyer that doesn't want to have to deal with a costly water pump and thermostat replacement down the road, maybe not.

For someone who really prefers to have a dipstick to check oil level, should they just learn to adapt?

Or what about the chance of a starter motor dying, or engine mounts failing?

Better oil separator for sure, and some other good things, so tough to choose.

Individual preferences and particular circumstances come into play - DIYer or having a good indie tech nearby, decent extended warranty, bank balance, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
I never drove a pre-LCI model, but for me the LCI was pretty important because of improvements to ride quality, interior design, engine and the 6-speed transmission. But the LCI's are definitely more expensive and probably require more maintenance. I'm not so put off by maintenance because I can DIY most problems.

The reviews on the LCI's make a big deal about the improvements to ride quality- can anybody who has driven or owned both comment on this? Is it just bunk or were there real improvements?