Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0iA
Manual transmission swap

Thoughts and input. I'm crazy. So I don't care about your rational thoughts. Those are out the window. let's compile a parts and things that need to be changed list.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
It will cost you a lot more than trading in your AT for an MT. In, fact there are too many things you ll need to change to make it work 100%.

ECU, Ingition sensor for gear in P, transmission its self, diff final drive ratios, centre console and gear stick, clutch pedal (will perhaps require drilling a hole) swap the brake pedal for the smaller one, instrument panel (you don't need the auto indications)... God knows what else.

I understand your thrill of such a project, I would love to convert mine to a EU spec diesel with MT, but money talks and b-s STOPS
Old 02-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0iA
Thats very true. I'm just bored and I have the resources to do a project. Plus I cant find the X3 I want with MT. I like mine.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanAttack View Post
Thats very true. I'm just bored and I have the resources to do a project. Plus I cant find the X3 I want with MT. I like mine.
Hey did you go anywhere with this? I have had in the back of my mind that if the slushbox on mine fails that I would consider a swap. Aside from the getting transmission itself the next biggest problem seems like the final drive ratios in the diffs. Anyone know if those units would need to be swapped out, or can they be rebuilt with a different gear ratio?

It's not a money saving endeavor but if it's around a few thousand it might be worth it to keep a good car.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Not even worth the thought.. your not going to do it.. Its not going to happen.. you can you wont its not happening..

sell the car.. and find one thats manual..

theres a reason it took us 2 years to find out x3

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: '08 X3, '08 535xiT (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Not even worth the thought.. your not going to do it.. Its not going to happen.. you can you wont its not happening..

sell the car.. and find one thats manual..

theres a reason it took us 2 years to find out x3
These misinformed, overconfident remarks just make you look foolish. Give it up.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
lol ok.. Ill hold on to this.. along with the other dozen or so other people who posted the same thing thur out the years...

Let me just be up front and honest with you.. there is maybe 3 or 4 people on this entire forum who have the will and knowledge to swap from auto to manual. and actually go thur with it and complete it.

Now the other 99% like this thread creator, Will one of 2 things... start it them selfs.. and then end up bringing it to someone.. only to run out of money half way... OR Give up and magically disappear

you guys shouldn't even be encouraging it : Which is why i said the truth... DOnt waste your time.. Its not going to happen.. you dont have the skill to do it..

have a lift? change many transmissions on the floor have you? one with the backyard hack job?

thats all she wrote capt

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanAttack View Post
It's a lot of work, including adding the clutch and coding the car to tell it it's an MT. It's been down for E46 etc.

Since you'll probably need to convert to RWD at the same time due to a shortage of used x-drive MT boxes, dig out the E46 AT to MT swap threads.