Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: '96 Z3 & '72 2002tii
Factory wheels on '72 2002 tii ? New tires?

Been slowly tinkering with my '72 2002tii I bought a few years ago. It had E30 bottle cap wheels and 14" tires when I bought it. I found a set of tii steel rims in poor condition, but had these sandblasted and powdercoated, then put new 13" tires and era hubcaps on them to maintain a more stock look. Here's the look.

My question is: what would have been the factory or most common 2002tii wheel/hubcap configuration? Most tii's I see online have the alloys, while some have steel wheels and hubcaps. Or were the alloys simply a factory option?

I mounted 185/70R13 Big O Euro Tour tires as finding 13" tires locally was a challenge. Any good websites that deal in smaller/classic car tire sizes for future reference?

Many thanks!

PS--I did peruse the 2002 FAQ site as well but no joy...so trying here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002tii tire 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	424810  
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2002tii
Yes and No

Although many 02s came with alloys as an option most had the steel wheels you have. Tiis may have been more likley to get the the alloys. Mine did. The Tii had slightly wider steel wheels but still used the 165 13 tires in OEM trim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granby Hund View Post
Been slowly tinkering with my '72 2002tii I bought a few years ago. It had E30 bottle cap wheels and 14" tires when I bought it. I found a set of tii steel rims in poor condition, but had these sandblasted and powdercoated, then put new 13" tires and era hubcaps on them to maintain a more stock look. Here's the look.

My question is: what would have been the factory or most common 2002tii wheel/hubcap configuration? Most tii's I see online have the alloys, while some have steel wheels and hubcaps. Or were the alloys simply a factory option?

I mounted 185/70R13 Big O Euro Tour tires as finding 13" tires locally was a challenge. Any good websites that deal in smaller/classic car tire sizes for future reference?

Many thanks!

PS--I did peruse the 2002 FAQ site as well but no joy...so trying here.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: e28M, 2002
wheels

Standard 2002 steel wheels will not clear the larger brake calipers on the tii
As mentioned, alloys were an option, so steel wheels with hub caps were very common.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: formerly a 2002Tii
1974 Tii rims

These are the rims that I still have from a 1974 Tii that I owned. Sold it many years ago with BBS one piece rims after modifying the hubs for long Porsche studs. Wasn't aware of a difference from standard steel rims until this thread. Good information!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1974 Tii.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	425562   Click image for larger version

Name:	TiiRim.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	425563