Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 540i/6
Build turbomanifolds to e39 / M62B44

Hello!

I prepare renovation and mounting of turbos on my 540 e39 which had timing chain failure. but of course it's a lot to think about, especially with the exhaust system if i want to make an effective and driveable engine. I am looking to have 2 turbochargers. Is there any place I can read at, or formulas I can use to calculate lengths / sizes etc?... Dont know if this has been done before?

Best regards Adam
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 540iTT
I have a plan to build a twin turbo set using factory Volvo turbochargers 16T or 18T for small boost, in twin set up you will be able to push 400-500 hp. IF you have 99 and up you can cut of pipe near oil pan and weld the t5 flange on them to mount the volvo turbo on them.

Last edited by 540iTT; 02-28-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iTT View Post
I have a plan to build a twin turbo set using factory Volvo turbochargers 16T or 18T for small boost, in twin set up you will be able to push 400-500 hp. IF you have 99 and up you can cut of pipe near oil pan and weld the t5 flange on them to mount the volvo turbo on them.
Hello friend! Were are you from? Not Sweden?
Alright, so are planning to do this build on a TUB engine? I got a -97 M62B44 in my car. Yes i dont think you know that much boost to reach 4-500 hp. I actually had a Volvo S60 with 16T turbo, i was pretty pleased with that engine.

I think the trickiest part will be to find space for the new parts, not least the exhaust manifolds since it is a bit lack of space at the driver side... I dont know if you have thoughts about changing / moving the alternator, and rebuild the steering system? It is possible to make an exhaust that will fit between theese, but it will heat the parts more than the original exhaust manifolds, i dont know if that will be a problem, but i am a bit concerned of that.

This is how it looks behind the alternator, not very good picture but:
http://imgdrop.se/UPL/1393752286oui.jpg
Old 03-03-2014, 03:48 PM

I live in USA CT
I actually thought about this a lot i build few turbo kits and i know how turbo set up works.
here is a good picture where to mount twin set up for 540i since 16t is very small turbo and compact you can mount in place of factory cats, you can always use hammer if the wall need to bee pushed in a bit too. You would have to make separate oil pump for turbos because they would sit low and wouldn't drain back to oil pan.
here is some idea for you.

Last edited by 540iTT; 03-03-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I live in USA CT
I actually thought about this a lot i build few turbo kits and i know how turbo set up works.
here is a good picture where to mount twin set up for 540i since 16t is very small turbo and compact you can mount in place of factory cats, you can always use hammer if the wall need to bee pushed in a bit too. You would have to make separate oil pump for turbos because they would sit low and wouldn't drain back to oil pan.
here is some idea for you.
alright. Yes that is one idea. I think rear-mounted turbos are more common in USA than it is here in Europe, we are mostly make exhaust for fronted-mounted turbos. I dont know how much the spool time will be affected by having the turbos instead of the cats, but of course there will be a bit longer pipng to the intercooler, and they are a bit more exposed for water / snow and other crap from the road. However rear-mounted turbos most be a dream to build compared to build turbomanifolds on the M62B44 since there realy are lack of space...

Realy thouh question isnt it?!

This is how my exhaustsystem looks, do you got another system on you USA car?

http://imgdrop.se/UPL/1395488825ntq.jpg
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 PM

Use big hammer to hammer the bump inside the car and you will be good. Front mount turbo set up will generate huge amount of heat. You can build single set up by hammering in more on the passenger side wall and make it look like a sleeper.

Last edited by 540iTT; 03-26-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Use big hammer to hammer the bump inside the car and you will be good. Front mount turbo set up will generate huge amount of heat. You can build single set up by hammering in more on the passenger side wall and make it look like a sleeper.
Yes i am sure that is possible, but still, spray of water / snow dont sounds were healty for the turbos i think... I think it will be hard to prevent that, of course you can build splash shields, but that can maybe lead to high temperatures as well. There are lots of people building front-mounted turbos on their engine, so i suppose it works. I am also thinking of moving the water cooling system to the trunk, and thereby win a lot of space which i can hopefully use to keep the turbos and engine at a decent temperature.

one ecample: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps6595066a.jpg