Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: F25 X3 SE Auto (2011)
Transfer Box MY 2011

For a year now, I have experienced a slight juddering when setting off from a T junction with a little steering lock on. I thought it may have been the tyres or tracking, or just a 4 wheel drive thing... The juddering was intermittent and could not be induced..
Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed another power train related issue. At very low speed, less than 10 mph, if I took my foot off the gas, I felt a clunking sensation, almost like the gear box was jamming. Again this issue was intermittent.
On Thursday the issues were both present and I had time to take the car to the dealer.. I explained the issues to the technician and he immediately suggested it could be a transfer box issue, I reversed the car away so that he had room to get into the passenger side.. He got in and we set off, 5 yards later he said yes, it's probably the transfer box... Actually he said he noticed it when I was reversing....
Ok Monday I have to take the car in for diagnostics... I will update more as things develop..
Fortunately the car is still under warranty, now I am wandering if this is a one-off, or if anyone else has had similar issues with their X3s, I do love the car I enjoy driving it, and driving it hard too... But should this component fail so soon.. The car has 38000 miles on the clock.
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Transfer Box MY 2011

Clunking sounds at low speeds while decelerating could also indicate a failing differential (likely front but could be rear) in addition to the transfer case. I am at 135k and that was my only issue with my 09 since new and covered by warranty.

Your model has the same driveline as the previous generation x3. Transfer case issues are fairly common...especially on used cars. What we have found the most common controllable cause is tire replacement. All 4 tires need to have roughly the same outside diameter (within 2 mm). If any one replaces only 1 or 2 tires failure will happen within short order. Not saying this was your issue but something to remember in the future. However, on this board failure on original owner cars is rare since all know tire history.

Another highly recommended safe guard is regular xfer case and differential fluid changes. I follow 25k, others 50k. The key is regular maintenance. Neither are lifetime fluids.

Let us know final outcome. The dealer will get you patched up in short order I am sure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by x3brian; 03-02-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM

Just a quick update.. They changed the oil in the transfer case.. So far it seems OK..
Old 03-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Do you guys have the procedures for changing the transfer case fluid? What type of fluid, quantity, are the drain and fill plugs 6mm Allen sockets? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Sorry, no. My dealer said there is no schedule for changing the oil in the transfer case, it's a non serviceable item??? But clearly it can be changed..
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Transfer Box MY 2011

Yes it can be changed and is quite easy. The procedure for the f25 should be identical to the e83.

It takes 1L of BMW transfer case fluid. It's about $50 a bottle.

It has two 17 mm bolts one for fill and one for drain in front of the transmission x member.

Undo the fill plug first with an open ended box wrench. You can't get a socket up there.

Take off the drain plug. Let drain in oil catch pan.

Check the two copper washers, I recommend buying two new ones at parts counter when you buy the fluid.

Once drained replace drain plug and use a brand new or thoroughly clean and uncontaminated fluid transfer pump to refill via fill hole. Keep pumping until the fluid comes out of the fill hole.

Change every 25 to 50k miles. The computer tracks a wear value that's only view all from a dealer type scanner but if you regularly change it will never trip.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by x3brian; 03-12-2014 at 01:44 PM.