Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: X 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Charlie View Post
Hi everyone, I have been reading with interest the post's on Transfer Shift Case Motor Problems. I have a 2008 (first registered 2009) BMW X3 2 Litre Turbo Diesel Automatic.
I have had all the lights mentioned come on and the vehicle diagnosed as shift case motor problem. Here in Australia BMW want over $2000 for the motor then labor on top.
I have found some rebuilt motors on E Bay and also some of the plastic gears.
Is it a known fact that it is just the gear that wears out or does the whole motor burn out?
I am trying to work out if should buy the whole motor or just the gear? Cheers
From what I have found on this site and others the gear is first point of call I am trying this first and getting there if I rectify the problem by rotating 180 deg then I will replace the with new item.
It is my experience that the dealerships will change the high level assembly instead of working from the bottom up.

The removal is straight forward, give it a go. It may be something more complex but right now you have nothing to loose

Good luck
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
Sonics ????

If you can hear the ratter of the motor trying to drive the gear (usually when the vehicle is shut down after driving) it points in the direction of the motor at least having life
a gear can be had for 90 ish us dollars for a try ......also .....check out all the posts / u tubes on how its done
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by divaesqX3 View Post
First post to Bimmerfest. I have the dreaded three lights and was recently told that my actuator transfer case motor has to be replaced. Has anyone found an independent in Nashville willing to do the gear rotation or the motor replacement for less than the stealership?
PM sent.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburnett View Post
What the actuator looks like when off the car:

And broken down into the pieces: Bottom right is the motor, top right is the brush assembly, top left is a guard of some sort that pops off (albeit bent and unusable once you have it off) and the bottom left is the gear assembly (we'll focus on this one)

After I popped off the oil guard piece, here is what the inside looked like, a ton of shavings and grease.

and closer:

So you can see the motor turns a worm gear which is mated to a black gear (which is made of plastic !!!) Eventually, this gear wears down like crazy and doesnt have any teeth left to grip the worm gear. This is what causes the slipping, and the error lights, and especially the clicking sound.

In this photo, you can see the change from good gear area to the bad area. The good area is on the left, and as you follow the black gear around to the right, you can see where it has been worn down from sitting all the time.

So, I went farther. I took off the black gear to see what it looked like:
Good side (what it should look like everywhere):

Bad side (Cause of the problem)
Can the OP or someone else post the photos or fix the photo links?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Has anyone found this part cheaper? (actuator gear)

I hope this hasn't been posted already - I made it through the first 8 pages and have to run. I have the usual symptoms, including the trio of lights and the clicking. I found the actuator motor for $691 but then found the gear for $179. Has anyone found the gear for less? Here's the link to the one I found.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...5-27107566296g
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM

I stock the gear. $35 shipped (US).
Ebay item number: 151201033766
Ebay store: regulatorfix
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-E53-X...-/151201033766
Website (gear not listed yet):
www.regulatorfix.com
Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
www.regulatorfix.com

Thank you so much! Bought it! I will post our outcome as soon as we get it replaced!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lellefson View Post
Thank you so much! Bought it! I will post our outcome as soon as we get it replaced!
Saw your order. Thanks. Going out tomorrow with Priority Mail. USPS tracking sent (active tomorrow afternoon after post office scanned in).
Old 01-14-2014, 04:16 PM

I so appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM

So grateful for these forums. Every time a light comes on in my 2007 X3, I check here first to see if it is a known issue. I got the three dashboard lights and clicking, etc, associated with the transfer case actuator motor gear failure. Thank goodness I checked here before taking the car in. It all matched up, including mileage in the 65,000 range. In the end a friend who is a mechanic ordered the gear and some replacement bolts and he and my husband spend about 2 hours taking out the failed gear and replacing it. Total cost of $135 for the gear kit and a nice dinner for our friend and his family. They used the postings on this forum as a guide. I estimate it saved me several thousand dollars since the dealership would likely have wanted to replace the whole unit. Thanks to all who figured out a cost-effective fix. The X3 seems to be running fine and the warning lights are gone.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: x5
How's it going guys,

I have the same 4x4 light + Ebrake light on at all times since yesterday (2004 e53 3.0i)
So I took off the actuator to see if the gear was chewed up or not, and to my surprise it wasn't. I ended up rotating the gear just to be extra sure, installed her back and both lights are still ON.

What do you guys think I should do next, swap out speed sensors or try the steering position sensor?
I have a regular ODB2 scanner, it can only tell me so much. Anyone know where I can get a scanner or even the software for bmw vehicles.

Cheers guys, any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:33 PM

double post sorry!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14DK View Post
.... have the same 4x4 light + Ebrake light on at all times since yesterday (2004 e53 3.0i)
So I took off the actuator to see if the gear was chewed up or not, and to my surprise it wasn't ...............
What do you guys think I should do next, swap out speed sensors or try the steering position sensor?
I have a regular ODB2 scanner, it can only tell me so much. Anyone know where I can get a scanner or even the software for bmw vehicles.
This was mentioned by someone else in another current thread, and it bears repeating:

- unless you hear a clicking noise from underneath after turning the engine off, the actuator gear should not be your prime suspect

I think swamp said this too, earlier in this thread.

The "terrible triad" of lights can be attributed to quite a few things, including a battery that might be causing unusual voltage dips or spikes.
(But not the battery if the lights persist after a cold re-start.)

Could be any of several sensors that are used by xDrive.
(Did the E53 get xDrive in later years before the new model came out? I know the early years had the pre-cursor to xDrive.)

An inexpensive BMW/Mini hand-held code reader is the Creator C110.
Sometimes available from U.S. and Canadian ebay sellers for about $70, but otherwise direct from sellers in China for a bit less.
It can be a bit slow in coming up with error codes, and the User Manual leaves a lot to be desired, but could save you a bundle of money and time.

It should let you know if one of the wheel speed sensors is at fault, and then you wouldn't need to spend time swapping them around.

Steering angle sensor faults seem to often include the Airbag light in with the "trio" probably because that sensor figures in the airbag deployment decision processing, and they have common hardware pieces in the steering column shroud.

So one of those C110s or something similar should be your next step.
Or you could pay about $40 to have a moonlighter with the fuller BMW diagnostics on a laptop come by and read your codes.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 AM

thanks for all the info!! and i will keep you posted. I will be taking a closer look tomorrow
Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

found a unit on sale:

http://www.*************/wholesale/cr...rmany-303.html

almost $30 off!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
www.regulatorfix.com

I have a 2008 328xi E90 Coupe ... and have all the same issues.

Would you ship to Canada USPS ?

Will this same gear fit my actuator ?

Last edited by luschka; 02-11-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I just bought a 2007 x3 and got the three lights a few days later. When I researched the issue I felt like the dope that just bought someone else's headache. Than I found this fix. Knocked it out in under 2 hours. Thank you pburnett and the internet!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3, Lexus IS300
no worries! Now if I could only finish all the problems I have with mine! (Wife's car... got the call it wouldn't start again today)...

Glad it helped!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:04 PM

update on the free fix vs the ebay gears

So, we pulled out the gear and it was definately the worn actuator motor gear (we had the triad plus the clicking). I will try to post pics. We ordered the first gear from the awesome guy who posted on the thread in answer to my question on where to find the gear for cheaper than $200ish. It was the right size and shape but we couldn't make it mate with the other gear in the motor. Luschka is working with the manufacturer to get the part dialed in, so it may be the way to go in the future, but for now, it appeared that it needed to have a lip to get started. So, that one is going back (Luschka has been awesome and I would totally buy from him again on Ebay!) and we bought one from Odometer gears for $110.50 shipped (also ebay) My husband just put that one in and we'll be testing is shortly. It appeared to be right and slipped right in the other gear, so hopefully it works.

So, the question about if flipping the old gear: We did this first. It worked OK for a little while until we got heavy snow. As soon as the front tires slipped, the gear went back to the triad and the clicking. When we pulled the old gear out, it was not on the worn out part, but based on the lack of 4 wheel engagement and the clicking every time the car slips, I would say that this gear does rotate. For us, the free fix didn't work.

Here's the video we used (link from Luschka)

If you want pictures of any of the gears, feel free to message me and I can email them. I hope this helps anyone struggling with this fun feature of the X3. If anyone from BMW reads this, I think you should make this gear a standard replacement on that first or second inspection!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:56 PM

The Odometer Gears worked!!

I took it in the snow and slid it out (my 12 year old thought doing cookies was great). No lights and no ticking at shut off! Thanks for all the info, folks!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I had a problem about a year back on my X3 2.0d. 2007 manual.
I was getting a bumping noise from the transfer case and 4x4 lights coming up on the dash. After much investigation by the BMW Agents, it was discovered that the Tyres were incorrect and that was causing the Transfer box to engage and disengage causing the thump.
X3's should only be fitted with OEM Tyres or those with a star rating on the wall of the tyre. I use Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's. The difference is with the radical circumference of the tyre. Although all other specs were correct in terms of size. (i.e. 245/55/17...I think) If the radial circumference is incorrect as is the case on cheaper tyres or those without the BMW Star rating, the onboard computer detects that there are too many revolutions per mile and hence thinks the vehicle is wheel spinning and as such applies EBD or ESP or 4x4 mode to combat this supposed spin.
I had been using a new set of Dunlops and didn't realise they weren't suited to the vehicle. Needless to say they were a waste of money and ended up being taken off 2 weeks later and replaced with the Michelins.

Look at this as a possible cause. Tyres must be Star Rated!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: X3, 2.0i, Manual, 10/06
Don't buy into this BMW star rated tyre story. Those tires might be BMW approved but they are not the only way to go. You can buy any tire you like as long as it is the correct dimension. You will to have any problems, trust me I am running on non star rated tires and am not having any kind of problems. Car drives as it should be. This is a cheap excuse dealerships sell out to you in order to scare you and avoid facing the real problem and when they sell you a set of expensive tires, then they will tell you that the damage is done and you will need a new transfer case actuator etc and then you end up buying you car all over again. So, don't listen to them, at least for this part.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 528i gone but not forgott
I think I have the same problem in my 2009 E60 not sure if it is the positioning motor fault or something else. Sometimes displays 4x4 on dash but the message is gone short after when I start driving. Grinding noise when is cold and slick out there. It grinds mostly when I step on gas.
Here is a similar thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=394564&page=5

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0, 2002 325i
turning the gear works

I appreciated all the background on this thread. I took the actuator off and then unscrewed the two tork fittings holding the gear housing to the black motor. Once off and out, I could see the gear (had a replacement on hand). When rotated you could see some wear like in many of the other threads. Fortunately, there was zero wear or use on the other 70% of the gear. This gear does not rotate completely around when in use, confirming what you can see in an online schematic of how the system works. So I just rotated this gear halfway and then put it back together. Be careful on reinstalling as you need to gingerly spread the motor contacts on the shaft. Works like a champ!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Hey guys I have a 05 x5 4.4. when starting up from a stop my truck starts jerk until it reaches I guess 3rd or 4th gear. I also noticed with every jerk it has a click or tick kind of noise. It also has a constant howling noise until the jerking stops. So I'm wondering is this the same problem you guys are experiencing ? I don't have the three lights on, I only had a check engine light on but it was related it a coil/spark plug issue.