Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems

Dealer Feedback / Vehicle Problems
Have you had an exceptionally great experience with a particular BMW Center? Have you had a bad experience at your BMW Center? Frustrated by problems or defects with your vehicle? Post your stories or comments here.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
Brian Jessel BMW DAMAGED my car

I picked up my car a few days ago and for the last couple days ive noticed the carpet keeps getting stuck in the gas pedal so finally went under to look at whats up, turns out when the Brian Jessel BMW was vacuuming the car, they literally RIPPED the carpets out so the black plastic parts under the carpet are forcefully ripped out out of base carpet leaving big holes in all 4 corners of the carpet on the driver AND passenger side. I am furious on how they handled my car without my presence. I am EXTREMELY upset. Advice?
Dear God, protect my ride."
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2014, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
So sorry to hear this. Take some pictures. Calmly explain this to them and ask them to repair it without charge to you. Think about how you want it fixed, if you have the technical knowledge. Next time, go to Autowest BMW or even to BMW Seattle.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM

I talked to the SA and then got forwarded to the manager. He offered to fix it obviously no charge to me since they did the damage but thats simply not good enough. We all know that when you break a cup you buy a new one, you dont glue it back together because it'll never be the same. Thats exactly how I feel. They're not really fixing it, theyre just doing damage control. 1 or 2 is an accident, EIGHT is on purpose.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM

Maybe that is why their license plate frame says "Experience Brian Jessel" on the top!

Consider adding a strip of paper underneath reading " hell-no "
Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 PM

I am also having the most difficult time calming down, I don't lose my cool easily but when it comes to my car it's a whole different story.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Sorry, to hear about your carpets. Are the mats okay?

Consider the The BMW Store on Burrard St. next time.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Not sure how it looks but maybe new carpet, not just gluing the old carpet back is a solution.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Sorry, to hear about your carpets. Are the mats okay?

Consider the The BMW Store on Burrard St. next time.
Do they have a shop there for maintenance ?

The mats seem to be okay but I've had a crazy busy week, I haven't really inspected them.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLambo View Post
Do they have a shop there for maintenance ?
They do!

They have the whole block. One side is the main show room with another building for CPO.
Across the street is the Service Center.

Check out google maps and do a street view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	423985  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
They do!

They have the whole block. One side is the main show room with another building for CPO.

Across the street is the Service Center.

Check out google maps and do a street view.

Oh sweet. Do they charge "document fee" for loaner vehicles?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 AM

Sorry, don't know that.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
Sorry to hear that. That's terrible. I, too, would be concerned they'll be able to get it back to like-new condition. I'd probably need to take a full day or so to take a breath so I could have a productive, calm conversation, then I'd lay out my expectation that the car is put back in as-new condition, whatever the expense, and that if doing so is not possible you'll expect to be paid for damages.

If it is damaged beyond the point where it can be repaired, I'd probably start with "OK, you can provide me with an identically configured new car as an even swap." Not sure how realistic that is, but that's probably where I'd start. At a minimum, if it is anything less than a perfect fix, you're owed damages for the loss of value.

But I think it will be important that you take as much emotion out of the discussion as you're able to. If negotiations start out from an aggressive or belligerent stance, they're seldom productive.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Thank you, I appreciate that.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM

The service manager called today and blamed me for the carpet saying they "never" clean under them, completely demeaned me and told me "if you don't trust us then go somewhere else." I am done with them. Completely done. I tried calling the general manager but he doesn't give a crap, he doesn't want to talk to me.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
I thought u said they would offer to fix it in the above posts. What the hell happened ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 PM

The service manager was a huge asshole and told me that they never take the carpets out to clean etc. They will fix it but he was extremely rude to me and I tried to get a hold of the general manager but he won't take my calls. I'm overall just upset and disappointed.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post
Sorry to hear that. That's terrible. I, too, would be concerned they'll be able to get it back to like-new condition. I'd probably need to take a full day or so to take a breath so I could have a productive, calm conversation, then I'd lay out my expectation that the car is put back in as-new condition, whatever the expense, and that if doing so is not possible you'll expect to be paid for damages.

If it is damaged beyond the point where it can be repaired, I'd probably start with "OK, you can provide me with an identically configured new car as an even swap." Not sure how realistic that is, but that's probably where I'd start. At a minimum, if it is anything less than a perfect fix, you're owed damages for the loss of value.

But I think it will be important that you take as much emotion out of the discussion as you're able to. If negotiations start out from an aggressive or belligerent stance, they're seldom productive.
WTF? The carpet gets damaged and you want a new car out of it?

Escalate it to the owner of the dealership and forget the SA and GM. Take pics and insist they fix it or you'll be speaking to an attorney. Report them to BBB and never go there again after you are done with this.

I get the anger, but you won't be getting a new car out of it - sorry to say.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftlane11 View Post
WTF? The carpet gets damaged and you want a new car out of it?

Escalate it to the owner of the dealership and forget the SA and GM. Take pics and insist they fix it or you'll be speaking to an attorney. Report them to BBB and never go there again after you are done with this.

I get the anger, but you won't be getting a new car out of it - sorry to say.
I'm not OP. I don't want anything from anyone. I also said it would be a first point of negotiation and probably not likely to happen. More of an attention-getter to facilitate a negotiated settlement for damages.

That said, I did read too quickly and thought we were talking about something having been ripped out of the floor pan that was not easily fixed. Now that I realize we're just talking about carpet, I'd think they should be able to replace that section of carpet and fix the issue to OP's satisfaction. If so, I agree that's all that OP should expect (other than a loaner while the issue is being addressed).

If I were OP, I'd be frustrated by the fact that it happened, and I'd never take it back to that dealer, but at the end of the day I'd be at least back to square one.

So, I think now that I have the situation straight, we're not so far apart.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
lol you're going about this all wrong

I am a perfectionist and understand where you're coming from, but there's no way they're giving you a new car.

Here's how to do it:

Go to the dealership (maybe a different dealership since you've confronted this one), say the carpet broke loose on its own with minimal wear/tear. Hell, even act ignorant and say your pedal keeps getting stuck. Have them fix it under warranty. If they say so, say if they don't fix it, your pedal could get jammed and a large lawsuit could happen. They should fix it then. Call it a day. When you do all this, act courteous and professional. The more of a baby you are, the more of a baby you will be treated.

And anyone else find the premise of a vacuum ripping apart carpet of a BMW absurd? If this is true (I feel there is more to this story), then BMW quality is right out there with GM from the '90s

Last edited by WWONG; 03-01-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
GM carpet from the 90's was great! I have it in my 90's Tahoe and it still looks like new -- vastly better than my '06 BMW X3 -- and the windows work too! I think BMW's are great, but they have crappy suppliers for a lot of the interior bits and pieces -- the carpets, Sensatech seat covers, the dash and interior fascia (film that flakes off), cheap plastic drive dogs on the window regulators, self destructing expansion tanks and sunroof cassettes and on and on......
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
OP made a tactical mistake.

FIRST order of business was to return the car to the dealer and get a WRTITTEN work order that said "repair carpeting damaged at last service".

THAT WAS ESSENTIAL.
'
Then turn into an AH and make all kinds of demands...but NOT before you had something in writing that established they damaged the car OR that they were willing to fix some damage, he had nothing.

Once he racheted up his demands (reasonable or not) they decided to cut him loose. They could DO that becuase he had nothing that proved they had damaged it.

Anyone will 'do the right thing' when it costs them nothing, or little...but once he made it clear that it was going to be expensive and messy, they felt justified in not doing the right thing.

My (late) two cents