Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Swissvax on Dakota leather?

My oyster dakota leather on my e90 has some shiny sections that are darker in color and it's noticeable. What's the best way to clean these seats without breaking down the coating? I saw swissvax leather cleaner and leather milk conditioner used on an M3, but it wasn't Dakota leather. Do I need to condition the seats at all?

My seats look shiny like the first picture. http://autoobsessed.com/shop/swissva...610-p-909.html

Last edited by Nerdboss; 02-09-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2014, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
My oyster dakota leather on my e90 has some shiny sections that are darker in color and it's noticeable. What's the best way to clean these seats without breaking down the coating? I saw swissvax leather cleaner and leather milk conditioner used on an M3, but it wasn't Dakota leather. Do I need to condition the seats at all?

My seats look shiny like the first picture. http://autoobsessed.com/shop/swissva...610-p-909.html
I have used the Swissvax products you noted above. Worked great. Just need the cleaner and the milk conditioner. A little expensive but work very well.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:

For $64 dollars you can get a lot better stuff than the "milk" which won't do anything. Your seats get shiny over time since your clothes "buff" and polish the leather every time you sit in them. Plus the leather has a plastic coating to ensure that it lasts for a long time, this milk won't penetrate it and most other leather stuff on the market won't do anything either.

Best course of action is a simple cleaning with Lexol Leather Cleaner and a few MicroFiber Towels. Alternatively, I like to use 6:1 -10:1 Water to woolite ratio for cleaning leather and the interior. It's gentle and cleans very well and removes a lot of the shininess that you seem to have.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige

Last edited by csmeance; 02-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
For $64 dollars you can get a lot better stuff than the "milk" which won't do anything. Your seats get shiny over time since your clothes "buff" and polish the leather every time you sit in them. Plus the leather has a plastic coating to ensure that it lasts for a long time, this milk won't penetrate it and most other leather stuff on the market won't do anything either.

Best course of action is a simple cleaning with Lexol Leather Cleaner and a few MicroFiber Towels. Alternatively, I like to use 6:1 -10:1 Water to woolite ratio for cleaning leather and the interior. It's gentle and cleans very well and removes a lot of the shininess that you seem to have.
So is this shiny look permanent and caused by the coating being worn down?

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
So is this shiny look permanent and caused by the coating being worn down?
Yes and no, the coating gets polished by your clothes so it's not getting worn down extensively and this is the cause of the shine. Cleaning it with a cleaner will help the problem go away but you are in effect making the surface hazy.
The main problem is when lots of dirt accumulates and you start grinding that into the coating (IE the crumbs in seams); this is like rubbing sandpaper on the leather and will ruin the finish! But with normal wear and tear your leather should be fine. What will damage the coating is moderate to heavy abrasion such as cleaning the seats with a magic eraser (yes I've seen multiple people do this) or a very stiff brush, etc. In all honesty the woolite solution is my go to for most cars, but if you insist on a store products, Lexol (darkens leather over time though), Leatherique System (removes darkening from lexol with 1 application, but can damage some leathers) or Zaino leather in a Bottle (smells excellent!).
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige

Last edited by csmeance; 03-03-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
Yes and no, the coating gets polished by your clothes so it's not getting worn down extensively and this is the cause of the shine. Cleaning it with a cleaner will help the problem go away but you are in effect making the surface hazy.
The main problem is when lots of dirt accumulates and you start grinding that into the coating (IE the crumbs in seams); this is like rubbing sandpaper on the leather and will ruin the finish! But with normal wear and tear your leather should be fine. What will damage the coating is moderate to heavy abrasion such as cleaning the seats with a magic eraser (yes I've seen multiple people do this) or a very stiff brush, etc. In all honesty the woolite solution is my go to for most cars, but if you insist on a store products, Lexol (darkens leather over time though), Leatherique System (removes darkening from lexol with 1 application, but can damage some leathers) or Zaino leather in a Bottle (smells excellent!).
I'm obsessive about keeping them clean, It's not shiny like the leather in a Honda, but it's not the perfect matte finish that the sides and back of the seats have. I'll try Zaino since so many people recommend it. Does leatherique harm Dakota leather?

Magic eraser?!? There are really BMW owners out there in the wild that would do that? Sad...

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats