Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 740i
What car design trends you dislike?

Here are my pet peeves...

Shark fin antennas. Back in 1999 they meant "I am a rich guy and I have GPS/XM/Sirius in my expensive car". In the year 2014 they make no sense whatsoever. They are not a sign of success anymore (even Focuses and Civics have them). And there is no practical purpose for them either (L-band antennas can be made flat and inconspicuous).

Wheels that expose the brake disk and the caliper. Brake calipers should go under the wheel, just like bra straps should go under the blouse.

Trunk lids that split the brake lights. To me, it's a visual equivalent of the nails-scraping-chalkboard sound.
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Matthew DePaula wrote about three very irksome trends in contemporary automotive design:

Design Disasters: Three Ways Cars Are Getting Worse

1.) Unusually large diameter wheels with low profile tires
2.) High beltlines
3.) Plunging rooflines

Here's a particularly hideous example that incorporates all three :
Old 02-07-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Here's a particularly hideous example that incorporates all three :
Hey, at least it does not have the shark fin.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Hey, at least it does not have the shark fin.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
2.) High beltlines
3.) Plunging rooflines
I attented the Chicago Auto Show yesterday, so I sat in a lot of different vehicles.

The thing I hated the most was the low rooflines. One of the first cars I sat in was a Mazda 6. Its a decent sized car, but it didnt' feel like it from the driver's seat. The roof slopes forward from the B-pillar, combined with the large SRS in the A-pillar, meant that view forward to the left was extremely blocked.

Sloping rear rooflines are even more prevalent. I tried to sit in the back of a Cadillac XTS (their biggest model) and my head was hitting the ceiling. I then got in the back of a A8L, and there was only a touch more space. I'm not that tall - I fit fine in the back seat of a E46 sedan.

One thing I don't like on interiors is cars that have large LCD screens, but no navigation. Buttons > Touch Screen.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
For me, it's the non-functional vents in the front fenders. I'm not talking on an M3, I'm talking on a Buick. Or almost the entire Ford lineup. Shoot, they may even be functional on some, but seeing them added to an old Accord has the same effect on me as seeing them on a Focus =

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
www.xixwheels.com

Mein Auto: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K View Post
For me, it's the non-functional vents in the front fenders. I'm not talking on an M3, I'm talking on a Buick. Or almost the entire Ford lineup. Shoot, they may even be functional on some, but seeing them added to an old Accord has the same effect on me as seeing them on a Focus =
Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Excessively large cars with plunging rooflines who look like they'd fit my tall a$$ in them but my head rubs against the roof inside. Nonsensical/imbalanced designs that focus less on eye-pleasing long-lasting timelessness and more on quick-fad trends with details that look like 3 different people designed each angle of a car and never met with each other in the process (Mercedes, amongst others). Wannabe "Audi-like" greenhouses on all newer Sedans that all end up looking more like 90's Chevy Impalas. Fake/non functional air scoops. I could go on all day....

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Fake/non functional air scoops.
Leave my fake NACA scoops alone!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
For me, it's individually strung LED DLR lights like Audi and Mercedes uses. They remind me of cheesy disco rope lights and circus lights combined!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800px_LED_DaytimeRunningLights.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	426042  
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
For me, it's individually strung LED DLR lights like Audi and Mercedes uses. They remind me of cheesy disco rope lights and circus lights combined!
They are pretty harsh on the eyes too. Instead of a large evenly lit headlight (traditional DRL) you have a few small ultra-bright dots.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
I don't like not having body side moldings.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
I don't like too small headlights. Part of the reason for headlights is so other drivers can see you. It's hard for them to see you with just a pinpoint of light. It's easier if there is a large blob of yellow.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Another pet peeve is cars that have LED DRLs that go out on the side when the turn signal is being used. It makes the car look defective.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Excessively large cars with plunging rooflines who look like they'd fit my tall a$$ in them but my head rubs against the roof inside. Nonsensical/imbalanced designs that focus less on eye-pleasing long-lasting timelessness and more on quick-fad trends with details that look like 3 different people designed each angle of a car and never met with each other in the process (Mercedes, amongst others). Wannabe "Audi-like" greenhouses on all newer Sedans that all end up looking more like 90's Chevy Impalas. Fake/non functional air scoops. I could go on all day....
Amen to this comment, AND the comments about high beltlines.

I'm tired of increasingly bloated body designs and pointlessly angular surface lines in general.

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs