Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
BMW.de configurations

I was just messing around today and went to BMW.de and built a few BMW's on their site. First their options are endless. Second, the US is extremely lucky as far as price is concerned. BMW germany nickel and dime you till you're bankrupt.

Want auto climate? 750 euro please.

How about xenons? another 1000, oh wait you want the adaptive xenons??? another 550

What if i want PDC?? well you have to buy it for the front, then the rear, then you have to pay for the back up camera too, thats another 550 euro on top of the 750 for PDC itself.

Want the 18's that come on the 320i sport pkg?? 1900 euro please. ZF transmission?? 2100.

ohh wait what about crusie control?? 360 euro... you want navigation *GASP*??? fork over 2400 euro.

So you can have a German spec 320i (built to the same spec as a US spec 320i with sport pkg) for a cool 47,390 euro or after exchange rate is 65,284 US dollars... A US 320i with sport pkg is more than a new M3 in germany. everyones pricing arguements have never been more invalid.... lol

anyway, if you can read/understand a bit of german their webiste is better than ours. They also have the M3/4 configurator.

last thing.... you wan t a M5 in germany??? i hope you have an extra $182,237 laying around.

Last edited by f30jojo; 03-03-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 M Coupé
The flip side to that is you can order only what you want for the most part e.g. HUD can be added separately and is not not buried in a $3K package of stuff I don't want.

YMMV

John
Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 AM

very true, very true. My point is, though, a german loaded 320i costs as much as a US spec M3.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 AM

True that! VAT sucks too.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
Also in Germany you can buy yourself a 316d MSport. It might go like a Prius but it looks 1000 times better and even gets better gas mileage.

But it also goes along with the German metality of total control. They want to be able to choose what to buy exactly. Most Germans will probably tell you that getting rear PDC and a back up camera is redundant. Both tell you what is happening behind the car. So why pay for both?

Lastly, Germans take the higher prices into account considering they pay zero for health care, zero for education zero for 90% of the things that you have to pay for in America, get 6 weeks of payed vacation a year and have a standard 35 hour work week.

Sure you can say they pay it through taxes but may of them don't think about it that way. Hell, most times when getting a job the employer and the job applicant negotiate net income after taxes and not pretax income. People don't even bother knowing that they make pre tax. They just worry about what they make after all is said and done.

Last edited by Hangman4358; 03-03-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Also remember that the concept of buying a car from the dealer's lot is alien--every car is built and delivered to order.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 03-03-2014, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: F30-320i Sport
Damn America! Incredible competition, best number of choices, lowest prices, best value. You can't a run a country like that!

No seriously, the rest of the world is just getting ripped off. Sure the US has other issues but really, shyte in other places is overpriced.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM

I prefer the social contract Western European governments have with their citizens to America's laissez faire, sink or swim, attitude.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: '14 335i/'13 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
I prefer the social contract Western European governments have with their citizens to America's laissez faire, sink or swim, attitude.
Keep that **** in Europe please.

It goes against the very principles this country was founded on.

Ahh, a Prius driver. Makes sense.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

WTF??? And then to cast aspersions because of the car I drive? Please!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i & X3 3.5
Additionally, German's can take up to 15 years to pay off a car whereas only 10 for a house. Let's not forget you can drive your 320i in Germany a lot faster than you can drive you M3 in the states. When driving I set my cruise control at 100mph....it's going to kill me when I get back to the states.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 B.M.W.
x5

i want my 2001 x5 BMW diagnosed at a reasonable price i am located in north nj. Top radiator hose under alot of pressure.???????????????
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
WTF??? And then to cast aspersions because of the car I drive? Please!
In all seriousness you bring it on yourself. You came to a bimmer site admittedly owning a prius. Cmon.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM

A Prius owner who happens to be planning a ED purchase in September. Or are we not allowed to purchase cars that we like? It's people like f30jojo and falar who give BMW owners a bad name.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Or are we not allowed to purchase cars that we like?
Of course you are, and European Delivery on a U.S. specification BMW automobile is an excellent experience all around, despite the comparative lack of a-la-carte options available on German spec BMWs. Actually, Bimmerfest member Technic mentioned in this thread that U.S. buyers can theoretically specify a-la-carte options on www.bmw.de provided they meet U.S. regulations (though there are no guarantees getting such an order approved by BMW NA).

You get the best of all worlds in such a scenario: a fine automobile at an appealing price combined with a vacation in Europe. Best wishes with your European Delivery order!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Yeah this is the reason why people in Europe rarely drive nice cars. I was there in the summer and made a thread about it. In summary, I saw very few nice cars, and even the BMW, Audi, MB, etc had tiny engines, compared to the US. Something like a 335i is practically unheard of there. Even executive cars have smaller engines. The thing that blew my mind the most was a 7-series type luxury executive car, albeit just a Peugeot, which was about the same size as a 7, but had a 1.6L, 4 cylinder engine. How that thing even moves is beyond me.

The tax on engine size is what kills it for Europeans. Really hope that the US doesn't take example of it.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Of course you are, and European Delivery on a U.S. specification BMW automobile is an excellent experience all around, despite the comparative lack of a-la-carte options available on German spec BMWs. Actually, Bimmerfest member Technic mentioned in this thread that U.S. buyers can theoretically specify a-la-carte options on www.bmw.de provided they meet U.S. regulations (though there are no guarantees getting such an order approved by BMW NA).

You get the best of all worlds in such a scenario: a fine automobile at an appealing price combined with a vacation in Europe. Best wishes with your European Delivery order!
Well that helps restore my faith in this forum!

I will be placing my order at the end of this month with David. I was planning a trip to Paris to visit a good friend anyway so the timing couldn't be better! I hope Individual options become available soon. My wife has never been to Germany and it's been a long time since I lived there. It will be nice!

John
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
Yeah this is the reason why people in Europe rarely drive nice cars. I was there in the summer and made a thread about it. In summary, I saw very few nice cars, and even the BMW, Audi, MB, etc had tiny engines, compared to the US. Something like a 335i is practically unheard of there. Even executive cars have smaller engines. The thing that blew my mind the most was a 7-series type luxury executive car, albeit just a Peugeot, which was about the same size as a 7, but had a 1.6L, 4 cylinder engine. How that thing even moves is beyond me.

The tax on engine size is what kills it for Europeans. Really hope that the US doesn't take example of it.
Don't forget that gas is pretty pricey in Europe as well. You'd drive with a smaller engine too if a fill-up was the price of a mortgage payment.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_J_M View Post
Additionally, German's can take up to 15 years to pay off a car whereas only 10 for a house. Let's not forget you can drive your 320i in Germany a lot faster than you can drive you M3 in the states. When driving I set my cruise control at 100mph....it's going to kill me when I get back to the states.
We have the same stupid 70's-era speed limits in Canada. For God's sake can someone wake up and notice both countries are continent-sized and getting from A to B shouldn't be like going on a leisurely drive where the passage of time is meaningless? Even the police are sympathetic to the point where you can get away with driving by a radar trap doing 120kph in a 100kph zone.

I actually heard that in Germany there are no cup holders closest to the driver. Don't know if it's true but it make sense when 'cruising' at 200kph+ In North America? I'm surprised a food tray doesn't pop out of the steering wheel.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
. . . had a 1.6L, 4 cylinder engine. How that thing even moves is beyond me.
It's Europe. The thing probably produces 290HP.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doors View Post
Don't forget that gas is pretty pricey in Europe as well. You'd drive with a smaller engine too if a fill-up was the price of a mortgage payment.
Was out golfing with a friend today. He drives an X5 we had to get gas on the way. Filled up 21.4 gallons at a cost of $91 and 380 miles on the trip computer. No thanks. I'll pass up on that and patiently twiddle my thumbs until April for my 328d.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 AM

Congrats on the ED squid, hope you enjoy it. Sorry you feel i give BMW onwers a bad name... exactly how do i go about giving them a bad name? If it;s in reference to the prius comment than you argument is invalid. Its not "prius bashing) its (you) a MALE PRIUS OWNER whom TELLS bmw owners he owns a prius and expects not to get sh!t for it. Im just busting balls, no disrespect meant but thats exactly like a BMW X5 owner going to a prius enthusiast site and advertising how they hate the gas guzzler tax....again dont take it so personal, it's a joke. You cant tell me your friends dont bust you balls over it... c'mon admit it lol

Last edited by f30jojo; 03-04-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 AM

I'm not the one who brought up Prius ownership in the first place; it's just what happens to be listed as mein auto. Why would anyone flaunt Prius ownership on a BMW forum in the first place? It just got thrown back at me. Maybe I got a little defensive.

In any case, thanks! I'm looking forward to my trip back to Europe to pick up my new car in Munich, visit with friends, and do a little bit of climbing in Font.

It's all good!

John
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 AM

ED in september eh?? NICE TIMING, when time gets closer hit me up ( i live about an hour form Munich) grab a beer at the Hofbrauhuas at Oktoberfest..... if we can get in that is.