Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Alarm

Just bought 2008 BMW X3is.. so im new to the bmw family .. I want to install alarm on my x3 now I was reading on these forums that x3 is pre-wire so how can I find that the car is pre-wire for the alarm . ok less just say if the car is pre-wire what alarm do I need from BMW to install
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Remote lock the car. If the clown nose blinks rapidly before settling down to a slow heartbeat, you have the alarm already.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joylove View Post
Remote lock the car. If the clown nose blinks rapidly before settling down to a slow heartbeat, you have the alarm already.

Not necessarily true. On my 09 the clown nose blinks from the factory when locked but it doesn't have the alarm.

It's a rare option that was only dealer installed. Best way to check...roll down your windows and remote lock the car. Attempt to open the door by opening inside door handle. If alarm goes off you have the option. If not you can install it. All cars are pre wired. Dealer/Indy coding is required for activation though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 AM

no alarm noise but i do have the clown nose that blinks
Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 PM

The rapid blinking is the ultrasonic sensors taking their measurements before settling into the maintenance phase. Only those sensors and a siren are what differentiates an alarm or non-alarm car.

Last edited by joylove; 03-05-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 PM

no alarm so have to buy one from factory .. don't no which one.. any help .. 2008 x3 si
Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Clown nose! Lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotek View Post
no alarm so have to buy one from factory .. don't no which one.. any help .. 2008 x3 si
Use www.realoem.com and look for the alarm retrofit kit. Some coding will be required. Are you sure your 6 year old car needs an alarm?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Alarm

Hi guys to see if you have an alarm or if its working try this
open your bonnet and look for a spring loaded button near the bulkhead that looks like the switch that operates your interior lights(door switch) when you find it pull that button up now closed all doors windows and boot but not the bonnet lock the car up and wait for about a minute now push that button back down your alarm should now be sounding if not then you do not have the alarm fitted hope this helps, regards
Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Or

roll down window, lock car, stick arm in and flail it about- if you have alarm the motion sensor will set it off.

And by the way, the blinking clown nose DOES NOT mean you have the alarm. It is a cheaper version of the alarm, everyone thinks you have one but didn't dump the bucks for it. Serves the same purpose.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
roll down window, lock car, stick arm in and flail it about- if you have alarm the motion sensor will set it off.

And by the way, the blinking clown nose DOES NOT mean you have the alarm. It is a cheaper version of the alarm, everyone thinks you have one but didn't dump the bucks for it. Serves the same purpose.
It does more than blink at a fixed rate.

Fast blinking after arming is the ultrasonic training, it will blink differently if the alarm sounded when you were away indicating the zone that tripped and it will blink differently if you arm it with interior sensors disabled.

Also you can unplug the bonnet sensor then plug it back in, or hold down the trunk button to engage the panic siren.

Last edited by joylove; 03-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Well, I had an alarm installed last week, so a few comments.

Before the alarm was installed, the clown nose waited a couple of minutes to start blinking, then blinked at a very slow rate (I never measured it).

With the alarm, the clown nose starts blinking right away and at a faster rate.

And when I pop the rear hatch, the clown nose blinks real fast. I think the system interprets the open hatch as an intrusion.

Why did I spend the $$ on an alarm?? Nothing to do with the alarm. I bought the chirps! Now it chirps once when locking, twice when unlocking. Too many times recently I accidentally left the car unlocked in my carport overnight. And occasionally in parking lots. The chirps help me to notice. Didn't want to wait until stuff is stolen from my accidentally unlocked car and regret that I didn't install the alarm.

I realize that's a lot of money to spend on chirps, but it falls in the insurance category, paying for reassurance and to minimize the unexpected.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Rotek,

Try this link ($382.00). Installation will be extra.
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/68...ED-UP-TO-02-09)

Tell us how was it.