Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335iS [ ED ]
Test drove an M235i - my impressions

FWIW:
My BMW M235i test drive first one available to drive here near Atlanta. [ Will probably drive another one within the next week or so. ]

Equip. = ZF A8 automatic, Blue over black, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg & heated seats.
MSRP = $49,525 Not cheap, of course, but comparably equipped it would be several thousand less than the list price of the 2011 335iS I had.

Very quick. Feels about as quick as I remember the 335iS to be. [ R&T test numbers bear this out. ] Sounds great. It is quieter in Normal Mode than the 335iS was, though that distinct, straight 6 cylinder sound is clear & obvious - but not intrusive. The gearing [ 80 MPH in top gear = approx. 2,000 RPM ] means any engine & exhaust noise fades away completely at highway speeds. [ This also likely contributes to that EPA Highway rating of 32 MPG. Much better that the 335iS with DCT. ]

Comfortable and supportive front seats. I had no issues with the interior materials, fit or finish. Overall, the interior is much like the 335iS I had nothing jarring there, to me.

I like the looks of the exterior. Styling is largely subjective, of course, but I just never warmed up to the 135.

The ride and handling compromise with the non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sports is excellent, as one would expect. Firm ride, certainly, but reasonably compliant. Ultimate handling capability is impossible to explore on a 10 minute test drive on public roads I leave that to the automotive journalists and professional test drivers. [ Closed course, etc. ] 18 225/40 fronts & 245/35 series rears. It looks to me like a spare wheel and tire would largely fill the trunk. I wonder is one would fit behind the passenger seat? [ Shrink wrapped, of course. ]

The automatic is excellent, in normal mode. I really like the fact that the paddles are always active. I use them a lot, for both up and down shifts often just for fun. Shifts were quick & smooth, with no slop. I will try Sport \ Sport+ Modes at some point.

The steering was certainly OK to me. Though now electric, again, it felt very much as I remember the 335iS. No problems here for me.

Gripes = minor:
I would prefer a slightly larger fuel tank only 13.7 gal - really? 12 gal [ leaving a reasonable reserve ] times 30 MPG = 360 miles range. OK, I guess.
I would prefer the option of a spare tire & wheel and a place to put it.
That is about it.

Unless something changes drastically in the automotive world over the next 12 months [ or I win the lottery ] I think this will likely be my next purchase.

Cheers,
- Ray
Back to BMW??
Ads by Google
Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Pretty much summed up my thoughts when I drove one.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Coupe M-sport
I was able to drive one on Wednesday and I feel about the same as you. I loved it. I was really fun to drive and quite impressive. Felt quicker than my 335i, and the steering feel was great as well. A little more disconnected feeling, but not much.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
You guys must have a different 335 than me if you think the steering is not very different between the 335is and the M235i. At best, the M235i has precise and quick steering. Sometimes heavy on Sport+, but never really on par with the hydraulic system. When I cook a corner in my 335is, I can feel the tire chatter in my hands through the steering wheel. I won't get any of that in the M235i.

I agree though, it feels like a fantastic car and likely my next ride. But, I will really miss the feeling I get with my current car. The steering on the e92 makes every drive feel special, whereas the EPS units will make commutes feel the same no matter if it's the M235i or a Honda Accord... and that is really what most of my driving is.

They have force feedback on a Playstation controller. Put it in a car. haha

Last edited by hyperzulu; 02-28-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
You guys must have a different 335 than me if you think the steering is not very different between the 335is and the M235i. At best, the M235i has precise and quick steering. Sometimes heavy on Sport+, but never really on par with the hydraulic system. When I cook a corner in my 335is, I can feel the tire chatter in my hands through the steering wheel. I won't get any of that in the M235i.

I agree though, it feels like a fantastic car and likely my next ride. But, I will really miss the feeling I get with my current car. The steering on the e92 makes every drive feel special, whereas the EPS units will make commutes feel the same no matter if it's the M235i or a Honda Accord... and that is really what most of my driving is.

They have force feedback on a Playstation controller. Put it in a car. haha
I wished BMW or someone would publish the gas mileage savings having EPS vs hydraulic steering as I heard was the reason for the EPS OR the real reason for going with EPS, gas savings is the only one I have heard, one of the car mags. I WOULD much rather have the hydraulic steering, with EPS it is no longer the ultimate driving machine IMHO, anyone disagree?

Last edited by damills; 02-28-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Truth is it won't matter if it saves a lot or a little. Even Porsche has gone EPS and that is a company whose bread and butter is a bonafide sports car.

BMW's slogan is now pure driving pleasure or something like that. So I guess even they know ultimate driving machine is not what they make.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post
I wished BMW or someone would publish the gas mileage savings having EPS vs hydraulic steering as I heard was the reason for the EPS OR the real reason for going with EPS, gas savings is the only one I have heard, one of the car mags. I WOULD much rather have the hydraulic steering, with EPS it is no longer the ultimate driving machine IMHO, anyone disagree?
I don't know the exact number, but I'm sure it is not much. The name of the game is to get .5 mpg here and .6 mpg there and .3 somewhere else and on and on. N4S
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: Cayman
Went to a somewhat local dealer to test drive a Z4 idrive35IS which was sold earlier in the day. I have been watching the M235i news and when I saw they had one in the show room asked for a test drive. It's a very nice car at this price point and will probably make a great daily driver. It's not a track toy out of the box, but I can see it being modded for a bit more performance. I'm currently driving an 07 Cayman 2.7 and really have to say the handling does not compare. We were in a 90 degree right hand turn yesterday where the oncoming car shorted the apex leaving me with little room. I quickly flicked the wheel to the right or inside of the turn and made it through ok, but felt like the car was oversteering. It was an almost extreme handling event, but I think my Cayman would have just cruised right through it. I'm not an experienced performance driver by any means. The exhaust sound of the M235i is very impressive even with the the sound pipe/ electronics whatever. It really caught my ear when I was standing outside and the sales person started the car. Full on speed and the 8 speed transmission worked flawlessly for me. I also had an A3 3.2 DSG quattro and enjoy paddle shifting in and out of sport mode. The BMW transmission although not DSG type works very well and is quick enough to not disappoint if you are willing to use it. This car is quite different than my Cayman which very spartan with heated seats, bi xenon, Cayman S wheels, Bose, but it works well. My wife likes the Cayman too but was impressed with the BMW's ride comfort and of course the space is nice. Throw in the other amenities and it's a great car. Of course when we talked numbers, they low balled the heck out of our trade and refused to move off of MSRP. I managed to bring the trade up closer to what I expect, but won't be buying at MSRP. I certainly couldn't touch a new Cayman S at this price but figure just waiting a few weeks or even months and I should be able to get a better deal. I also have three other dealers within 50 miles of here so if I commit to the M235i I have some alternatives. I have read on another 2 forum of folks getting up to 2K off of MSRP.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 Acura Integra SE
I have been shopping for my first BMW. I don't have nearly the experience of the many BMW veterans on the board but I'll share my impressions. I test drove the following models in recent months:

2014 BMW 335i
2014 BMW 428i
2014 BMW 435i convertible
2011 BMW 335is (preowned)

2011 335is was easily the most fun car to drive. Sounded great and felt great on the road. Unfortunately it was a used model and not one that was very well-maintained. The other new models above were all very nice cars but did not provide the excitement of the 335is IMHO.

I did finally drive a M235i a few days ago, and for those who've enjoyed the 335is in the past, I would wager that the M235i gives you an experience that is closest to it out of all the BMW line-up. The M235i is a lot of fun to drive. It's nice and compact, sounds great, and handles curves with ease. I was also very pleasantly surprised at the amount of interior space. It's quite a bit more comfortable than one would expect. My wife and I were both able to fit in the rear without difficulty though I wouldn't recommend it for long drives. For local drives it provides very reasonable comfort. In fact the rear interior space felt superior to the Cadillac ATS for those who've sat in the back seat of that car.

My one regret in making comparisons as I have been is that I have not been able to drive a 3 series or 4 series equipped with DHP. I would love to hear if DHP makes as big a difference as some would have me believe.

My top pick is the M235i as of now.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
non-runflat option

Did your car come with the m-mobility kit since you did not get the run-flats?