Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-06-2004, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 318ic, X5, CLK320 cab
Question Jumpy transmission in 3.0

I just took delivery of my X5 3.0.

Alpine white, black leather, sport, premium, rear climate, Xenons, Steptronic, premium audio. I've never been emotional about cars before but I'm really into this one. I have to remember to pay attention to the road.

Anyway, I like to drink coffee on the way to work and I spilled it a time ot two because of the jumpy transmission. I've been trying to find the sweet spot but I'm starting to think there is none. Any recommendations?
Ads by Google
Old 04-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 545i ,2001 X5 3.0
I find that mine jumps a lot more when in Sport mode, especially from a stop. The adaptive throttle may also need to adjust to your driving style...but I don't know all that much about how that feature works.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 AM

Thanks Eric,

I read most of the owner's manual but evidently didn't pick up th ebit about "sport mode" I'll try to find it.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Depending on what you drove before, it may take awhile to get used to the start of an X5. I drove a 95 4Runner for 8 years, manual transmission. I didn't spill coffee on myself when I first got my X5, but I often tossed most of the groceries in the back because of my jumpy starts. The more careful I tried to be the worse it was - once I just stopped trying and went back to driving it solved itself. It took me a couple of weeks - partly I think it was the adaptive transmission, but mostly it was me learning how much to step on the gas.

When I finally started letting my husband drive, I found he had no trouble starting in regular D (he drives a 330i) but does do jumpy starts in Sport Mode.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 04-08-2004, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i ,2001 X5 3.0
I believe that when in Sport Mode it starts from 1st gear vs. 2nd for the regular D mode. When I drive around our neighborhood I just put it in D to avoid leaping from stop signs. Then when I get out on to the main roads or highway I switch to Sport.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:12 AM

Thanks to all who replied. Maybe someday soon , I'll know enough to contribute to the knowledge base.

Anyway I've been driving in regular "D" mode the whole time. I'm assuming that sport mode is step tronic mode. I'll try that too. In general I have noticed the symptom is much worse when it's cold. In the afternoon it's better.

I think the adaptive software is changing things, but at the same time, I'm trying to find the right accelerator profiles. I think I've mastered the very slow start, but not the fast start. It is still very jerky when I "jump on it"

Hopefully, the adaptive SW and my adaptations will converge at some point. I'll advise as I gain more experience.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:13 AM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
The way I see it, Sport Mode and Steptronic are related, but not the same.

From the regular D postion, if you move the gear shift over the to left a bit, S shows up on the dash. You are now in Sport mode, where the car starts in first and the shifts change from regular D (for Drive) mode. It's a zippier mode than regular D, although gas mileage does suffer.

Once in Sport Mode, if you move the lever up or down, you are changing the shifting yourself (step tronic). The car will override you if you are too slow to keep you from lugging or over revving, but you basically you can drive like a manual transmission sans clutch.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 04-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzer
The way I see it, Sport Mode and Steptronic are related, but not the same.

From the regular D postion, if you move the gear shift over the to left a bit, S shows up on the dash. You are now in Sport mode, where the car starts in first and the shifts change from regular D (for Drive) mode. It's a zippier mode than regular D, although gas mileage does suffer.

Once in Sport Mode, if you move the lever up or down, you are changing the shifting yourself (step tronic). The car will override you if you are too slow to keep you from lugging or over revving, but you basically you can drive like a manual transmission sans clutch.
She's 100% correct.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:04 AM

I do want to use the correct nomenclature.

I'm concentrating on getting "D" to work. It's getting annoying. When it's cold, it's pretty much unacceptable. Once warmed up, I'm still having to baby it from a start. Not up to my expectations of BMW standards.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:35 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
I usually don't have any problems with jerky starts, but once in a long while I'll depress the pedal a little too fast and there's a slight jerk. I believe the car normally starts out in 2nd (in D mode), but if you depress the pedal with more "spirit", it drops down to 1st, which might account for the jerk start.

My daughter, who normally drives our old '84 MBZ 190E, typically has a few jerky starts and head slamming stops until she adapts to how much more sensitive the Bimmer is vs the MBZ.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: Expy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodster13

I'm concentrating on getting "D" to work. It's getting annoying. When it's cold, it's pretty much unacceptable. Once warmed up, I'm still having to baby it from a start. Not up to my expectations of BMW standards.

Got mine replaced and still see the same issues (04 X5 3.0) ... will be taking it back in.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is Sterling Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodster13

Is this not the same issue as the rest of us with cold morning starts?

When I took mine in for its first service recently, they informed me that the gaerbox problem in the morning causing the jerky starts is now able to be fixed by a software change as opposed to a gearbox replacement.

I've had it back for a week and it seems to have eliminated the 'dropping the clutch' style takeoff in the morning....... although it appears I need about 500rpm more to get it moving at that time.

Maybe they did a workaround involving the sport/driving mode????
Old 07-14-2004, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: X5
X5 trans

The transmission lights came on repeatedly in my X5 very soon after purchase and the dealer kept saying that it was not a problem. Several times after stopping at a red light, the car would have to hit very high revs to move even slowly. I shifted the trans into manual and it was trying to move from a dead stop in fourth gear. After several trips back to the dealer, they finally changed something. It did not fix the problems. They replaced the transmission and after about 1000 miles, the vehicle shimmies like it is running over a washboard. It only does it intermittently and of course the dealer never sees it.

Since we purchased the vehicle, the speedometer has always read higher than the actual speed. I have mentioned this to the dealer and they say the spec on the speedometer is +10%. I did not believe them until they gave me a bulletin from BMW that said the actual spec says +10% plus 2.4 mph. Has anyone else had this problem. I find it unbelievable that one of the finest auto companies in the world cannot get the speedometer any more accurate.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy
Since we purchased the vehicle, the speedometer has always read higher than the actual speed. I have mentioned this to the dealer and they say the spec on the speedometer is +10%. I did not believe them until they gave me a bulletin from BMW that said the actual spec says +10% plus 2.4 mph. Has anyone else had this problem. I find it unbelievable that one of the finest auto companies in the world cannot get the speedometer any more accurate.
Yes, the error is "normal" for a BMW.

Checking against my hand-held GPS, my Infiniti is only off by less than 1 mph @ 60, and my Porsche is nearly dead on too... but my X5 is off my 4 mph @ 60 (reads nearly 65 mph at that speed). PIA, that has required me to set the OBC to 84 mph when I want it to chime at 80 mph.

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:13 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is Sterling Grey
aaaaahhh the light goes on......

I got zapped at one of those community service radar (check your speedo) style spots a few weeks ago and it said I was doing 50 kmh when I thought I was doing just over 60!