Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740IL
2001 740IL-Power steering pump cracked......how long?

Hello everyone,

I was driving my "baby" down the street and all of a sudden, the steering wheel locks up!!! The battery light came on (just got a new battery 4 months earlier).I happened to see an Advance Auto and muscled my car into the parking lot. Difficlt to drive with no power steering. Anyway, I pop the hood, and my dam serpentine belt was dangling from the pulley!! The belt that goes around the power steering pump and pulley....

Advance had one for $15, but Firestone would not put it on because of their "warranty" policy. I ended up driving two miles down the road to the firestone and had them replace the belt. After they put her up in the air, I saw the power steering pump had a crack, and the bolt came out, which mde the pulley "stick out", which caused the belt to become tangled from the pulley.

The power steering pump, after getting a quote from the dealership, costs $850.....and another $668 in labor! Are you freggin kiddin me? I told firestone to put the bolt back in the housing unit and tighten her up good. My question to you guys is, "How long do I have before I need to replace the pump for good". I know I need to replace because of the crack, but it is not leaking oil or anything, it's just cracked.

Any suggestions other than, "replace the pump", since I know this needs to be done. Has anyone else driven with a cracked power steering pump? The car drives smooth now, the steering wheel turns smooth too
Ads by Google
Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 PM
**Bimmer DIYer**

Mein Auto: 00 740iL, 97 M3
Look for a remanufactured one or pull one from a local parts yard if you have one in your area. You might want to check your belt tensioners too. Mine seized and caused the belt to snap. I wouldn't drive too much with that cracked pump though.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 PM
BMW ENTHUSIAST

Send a message via Yahoo to Djscorpio67
Mein Auto: e38 '01' 740IL Sport
Exclamation

The exact same thing happened to my 2001 740iL today. My indie mechanic quoted me $650 for a new BMW PUMP with 2 yr . warranty. Bavauto carries a reman genuine BMW pump with 2yr warranty for $384.95 including a $60.00 core charge. So my indie is calling to see if they can get the price knocked down some on the new pump. (Yes my indie ROCKS!)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponamarine View Post
Hello everyone,

I was driving my "baby" down the street and all of a sudden, the steering wheel locks up!!! The battery light came on (just got a new battery 4 months earlier).I happened to see an Advance Auto and muscled my car into the parking lot. Difficlt to drive with no power steering. Anyway, I pop the hood, and my dam serpentine belt was dangling from the pulley!! The belt that goes around the power steering pump and pulley....

Advance had one for $15, but Firestone would not put it on because of their "warranty" policy. I ended up driving two miles down the road to the firestone and had them replace the belt. After they put her up in the air, I saw the power steering pump had a crack, and the bolt came out, which mde the pulley "stick out", which caused the belt to become tangled from the pulley.

The power steering pump, after getting a quote from the dealership, costs $850.....and another $668 in labor! Are you freggin kiddin me? I told firestone to put the bolt back in the housing unit and tighten her up good. My question to you guys is, "How long do I have before I need to replace the pump for good". I know I need to replace because of the crack, but it is not leaking oil or anything, it's just cracked.

Any suggestions other than, "replace the pump", since I know this needs to be done. Has anyone else driven with a cracked power steering pump? The car drives smooth now, the steering wheel turns smooth too

You can get a remanurfactured pump for less than half new and they work well. Just replace it. You don't want to harm your steering box because of a $200.00 part.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:04 PM
BMW ENTHUSIAST

Exclamation DIYers check this!

DIY tip. Check your pump bolts on these cars to save you a hefty bill. Got the new pump for $550, plus a new belt, fluid, and labor for $850 out the door. Bavauto had a 3-5 business day wait because they were out of stock. And I couldn't be down that long. Wanted to make sure I got the pump from a reputable company.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
Same here, the bolt hole actually cracked and the pump was dangling from the bottom of the car, luckily, I caught it and managed to tow it before any serious damage. It's an easy DIY, cost me about 300 in parts. I could now do the whole thing in about 30-45 minutes.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 03-15-2014, 04:13 AM
BMW ENTHUSIAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by aom7 View Post
Same here, the bolt hole actually cracked and the pump was dangling from the bottom of the car, luckily, I caught it and managed to tow it before any serious damage. It's an easy DIY, cost me about 300 in parts. I could now do the whole thing in about 30-45 minutes.
Next time Up call you. Book time is 1.8hrs.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
My first mistake was not having the fan clutch wrench and holder tool... pretty much impossible without it. But once I got it, the rest was pretty trivial. One of the easier jobs to do (alternator would have been even easier if it weren't for the stupid draining of the coolant.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic
M-Sport | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
MODS: BMS Stage 1 Tune | PedalBox | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Coded.
E38 740i Jet Black
Sport | PDC | Convenience | Sunshade | Navigation
MODS: Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Coded
Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 AM
BMW ENTHUSIAST

I have the Zionsville heavy duty cooling system (electric fan) so you'd have mine done in no time flat. ;-)