Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M-Sport
No text msg sound when in car with Bluetooth

When I'm in the car and connected by Bluetooth, but listening to another audio source such as sat radio, my iphone doesn't play text message alerts, it only buzzes. The alerts also don't play over the speakers, so the effect is that I don't realize I've gotten a text/email. Surely this can't be right? I applied the latest updates from this week and same results.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: .

Last edited by Tuesday; 03-20-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
1. Your connection is Bluetooth Phone, not Bluetooth Audio. There's only audio when there is a phone call.
2. Source selected is not Bluetooth Audio

How do you expect audio when that audio source is not even selected?

Now, try Bluetooth Audio as your source and then you can complain if your alert sounds are not transferred. And make sure that your phone is actually generating the alert sounds and not just in vibrate-only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomax View Post
When I'm in the car and connected by Bluetooth, but listening to another audio source such as sat radio, my iphone doesn't play text message alerts, it only buzzes. The alerts also don't play over the speakers, so the effect is that I don't realize I've gotten a text/email. Surely this can't be right? I applied the latest updates from this week and same results.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:02 AM

Tuesday: Yours sounds like it's working properly. I wonder if deleting mine and re-pairing will fix. I saw someone on the 6 forum complaining about this exact thing but they didn't get a solution.

Technic: I expect that the sounds will come from the phone itself, exactly as happens when I'm not in the car.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Tuesday: Yours sounds like it's working properly. I wonder if deleting mine and re-pairing will fix. I saw someone on the 6 forum complaining about this exact thing but they didn't get a solution.

Technic: I expect that the sounds will come from the phone itself, exactly as happens when I'm not in the car.
Flip the left-side switch at the iPhone.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
I think the problem as to do with the Bluetooth headset/handsfree to phone connection. Your phone thinks there is a audio device and plays all sounds (alerts, calls, etc., but not music) through that device. For example, if you hook up a bluetooth headset you hear all the alerts and other sounds in the headset. Put the headset down and phone seems to go silent. I've done it too many times and missed calls.

If your car is on the bluetooth source, then the sounds come through - at least they do for me. If I am listening to something else, no alerts. It makes sense as the phone knows it connected to a bluetooth headset/handsfree device and send all sounds to it. The car only is playing the current source and you get sounds if it is the bluetooth source; nothing if it is on some other source.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 F11 520dT
I confirm this behavior. It's exactly the same here:

- Iphone 4s
- 05/2012 F11
- Configured iphone for bluetooth phone in idrive
- Configured iphone for bluetooth audio in idrive under external audio sources

When the iphone is connected with the car via bluetooth it no longer makes any sounds. Instead it streams them all (any app) through bluetooth. But it can only be heard through the car's speakers if you actually select the phone as audio source in idrive under external devices.

When i get an incoming call, the car seems to automatically switch to the iphone as audio source as it plays my iphone's ringtone through the car's speakers.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunners View Post
I think the problem as to do with the Bluetooth headset/handsfree to phone connection. Your phone thinks there is a audio device and plays all sounds (alerts, calls, etc., but not music) through that device. For example, if you hook up a bluetooth headset you hear all the alerts and other sounds in the headset. Put the headset down and phone seems to go silent. I've done it too many times and missed calls.

If your car is on the bluetooth source, then the sounds come through - at least they do for me. If I am listening to something else, no alerts. It makes sense as the phone knows it connected to a bluetooth headset/handsfree device and send all sounds to it. The car only is playing the current source and you get sounds if it is the bluetooth source; nothing if it is on some other source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex75 View Post
I confirm this behavior. It's exactly the same here:

- Iphone 4s
- 05/2012 F11
- Configured iphone for bluetooth phone in idrive
- Configured iphone for bluetooth audio in idrive under external audio sources

When the iphone is connected with the car via bluetooth it no longer makes any sounds. Instead it streams them all (any app) through bluetooth. But it can only be heard through the car's speakers if you actually select the phone as audio source in idrive under external devices.

When i get an incoming call, the car seems to automatically switch to the iphone as audio source as it plays my iphone's ringtone through the car's speakers.
Yup, this is exactly what I'm experiencing. Can hardly believe this is the expected behavior...
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport; 328i Wagon
Um, I know you guys are new here but Technic knows more about the BMW systems than most of the engineers. Have you tried out his suggestions from posts 3 and 5? Please do that before you keep this up.

Just because YOU THINK the system should work a certain way does not mean BMW DESIGNED it to operate that way. The BMW interface isn't always the most intuitive, but if you come on here, ask a question of experts, then disregard the answer, you'r unlikely to get much help in the future.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Sport
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Um, I know you guys are new here but Technic knows more about the BMW systems than most of the engineers. Have you tried out his suggestions from posts 3 and 5? Please do that before you keep this up.

Just because YOU THINK the system should work a certain way does not mean BMW DESIGNED it to operate that way. The BMW interface isn't always the most intuitive, but if you come on here, ask a question of experts, then disregard the answer, you'r unlikely to get much help in the future.
I don't think we disagree with technic.

My post confirms what technic said in post 3: the sounds are heard if you select your phone as audio source in idrive.

But i also agree with the OP that it is not really intuitive.

It would have been more intuitive to have the phone stream sounds via BT only when that source is selected in idrive. This would allow to hear the alerts (msg, mail, ...) directly from the phone instead of not at all when you have another audio source selected in the car...

If that is technically impossible, or something bmw just overlooked is another question.

If on the other hand it is some option i have wrong, i'd really like to know about it.

For the moment what i understand is that it was designed like that
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 AM

Exactly what Alex75 said. I came into the forum describing the exact behavior and asking if this is expected. What I'm hearing is that it is. I would be very glad to hear otherwise. Also, technics suggestion appeared to be centered around the theory of my phone being in vibrate mode. It is not in vibrate mode or I wouldn't be in the BMW forum asking questions. I was hoping there would be a setting or configuration I can set or code to modify this behavior.

Last edited by bomax; 03-12-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

When the iPhone pairs it is by default in Bluetooth Phone. Meaning, you will hear audio only when the iPhone receives/makes a call. A variant of that is when you activate Siri - the iDrive screen will show the iPhone like making/receiving a call but in reality what is happening is that the OEM microphone is activated.

When you plug the iPhone to the USB whatever sounds the iPhone make (alerts, emails, texts. Google/Apple maps directions) will be heard via the OEM speakers -but only if the USB is selected as the source and only if the iPhone audio swith is not set to mute and audio alerts are enabled (not in 100% vibrate mode).

Sometimes I have noticed that alerts are not going thru the USB/speakers when USB is selected as the source. But most of the time is because my phone audio switch is set to mute. If I can hear the alerts in the phone then I can hear the alerts via the speakers regardless of iDrive (CIC/NBT) when USB source is selected.

I would make sure that your phone first generate the sounds of the alert regardless of being connected to the car. Then test via USB as a source; it should work. Then do the same via Bluetooth Audio. Two different Bluetooth sources.

But so far there is no Bluetooth profile in phone mode that will broadcast alert tones. As stated before, the closest to something like that is Siri -but Siri takes over the whole iDrive like it is a phone call and not via Bluetooth Audio, muting all audio regardless of source selected.

Quote:
Exactly what Alex75 said. I came into the forum describing the exact behavior and asking if this is expected. What I'm hearing is that it is. I would be very glad to hear otherwise. Also, technics suggestion appeared to be centered around the theory of my phone being in vibrate mode. It is not in vibrate mode or I wouldn't be in the BMW forum asking questions. I was hoping there would be a setting or configuration I can set or code to modify this behavior.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Technic,

First I would like to thank you. I really appreciate the time you put into helping us. Really.

So I'll also take some time to explain my particular situation.

I think the main difference between my situation and what you are describing is that my phone is not only connected by Bluetooth as a phone, but ALSO as an audio device.

This is my current setup:

- 05/2012 F11 (EURO) with professional navigation, no apps, no connected drive. The car had a software update at the dealer around 10/2012, but none since.
- iPhone 4s iOS 5.1.1 (I didn't want to update to iOS 6 because of the battery problems at the time, and I don't want to update to iOS 7 because I like the old interface better)

I pared the phone to the car at the time I got the car (06/2012).

I remember I paired the phone via iDrive's phone menu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 iDrive Bluetooth Phone Settings.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	427660

I also remember I had to activate audio over Bluetooth for the phone via Multimedia -> External devices.

Name:	4 iDrive Bluetooth Audio Settings.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	427661

I never ever connect the phone through USB. It is exclusively connected to the car via Bluetooth, which happens automatically a few seconds after I hit the car's start button.

And this is my usage scenario:

I have the iPhone normally configured in my pocket. The slider on the side is NOT set to silent. When I get alerts I hear them directly from the phone (I also have it set to vibrate along with the sound. I think it is the same for bomax, which probably let you to thinking the slider was set to silent, but it is not.)

I open the car, I get in and start the car. My car's audio source is usually set to radio, so the radio plays.

I don't take the phone out of my pocket and I don't touch it in any way.

At this point my iPhone automatically connects through Bluetooth with the car. And when it does I strongly believe it not only connects via the phone profile, but also via the audio profile.

From this point on the phone will no longer make any sound through it's own speakers.

I checked the iPhone and it showed this when I double clicked the home button (to open the recent apps menu at the bottom) and scroll left (until you see the volume bar):

Name:	1 iPhone Audio.png
Views:	15
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	427658

There is now an extra button next to the volume bar (not there when not in the car). When I click on the button I see this:

Name:	2 iPhone Audio Destination.png
Views:	15
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	427659

I didn't select this myself. It happens automatically.

I know the phone streams all audio to the car because they can be heard through the car's speakers when I choose my phone as external audio source (Multimedia -> External devices -> iPhone).

Name:	5 iDrive External Bluetooth Audio Devices Selection.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	427662

In fact, even the camera shutter sound played through the car's speakers when I took the above picture.

All of the above is good for me, as I can select any app on the iPhone and listen to it through the cars speakers when I select the iPhone as external BT audio source in iDrive.

But, when I listen to the radio, it would still be nice to hear my phone alerts directly from the phone, but it doesn't. The phone keeps streaming them to the car although it is not selected as audio source in iDrive.

I hope this sheds some light on my situation. I suspect bomax has the exact same going on.

It's not really a problem, just a strange behavior not to hear the phone's alerts when, for example, listening to the radio.

Last edited by Alex75; 03-12-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Look at Bluetooth Audio for what it is, an audio source. The same way that you cannot hear weather alerts from a radio station when you select a CD as your audio source is the same way that you cannot hear phone alerts when you have FM radio as your audio source.

Do not confuse Bluetooth pairing with Bluetooth profiles. Pairing is just a wireless connection. What comes via that connection is what determines the profile of it. From MY2011-on all BMW supports the audio (A2DP) profile in addition of the phone profile since MY2003.

The phone profile is the only one that can interrupt all audio sources. But it is the audio profile the one that carry all the non-calls audio of the phone.

What you are asking for is an hybrid of both profiles, one that can interrupt all sources while carrying all audio (calls and non-calls). In other words, a new profile.

I would not be surprised if some company is already working on that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex75 View Post

All of the above is good for me, as I can select any app on the iPhone and listen to it through the cars speakers when I select the iPhone as external BT audio source in iDrive.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What you are asking for is an hybrid of both profiles, one that can interrupt all sources while carrying all audio (calls and non-calls). In other words, a new profile.

I would not be surprised if some company is already working on that right now.
Thanks for the detailed info!

I appreciate technology just as you as I am active in IT.

Technology is ment to make our lives easier, but getting more experience in life I also realise technology is evolving so fast it sometimes takes us a few steps back. Good examples of this are my phone failing to alert me of incoming messages when in my car, and me accepting a call outside of my car, screaming to the phone that I cannot hear the other party, only to realize the other party is screaming through the car's speakers that he cannot hear me