Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #126  
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 PM
ahmadddd ahmadddd is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 530
Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Email all of the heads in Germany and US. I guarantee you that you'll receive a call. That's what I did and they took care of me even after I traded the car in.
Thanks for the advise, can you explain how did they take care of you and if your issue got resolved?
__________________

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 AM
elitex elitex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadddd View Post
Thanks for the advise, can you explain how did they take care of you and if your issue got resolved?
It was a cash compensation. They pretty much refunded the amount of money I lost on the trade. If I had waited then they would've just returned my car entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:55 PM
ahmadddd ahmadddd is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 530
Mein Auto: 535Xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
It was a cash compensation. They pretty much refunded the amount of money I lost on the trade. If I had waited then they would've just returned my car entirely.
Sometimes they don't consider they steering vibration as a big thing, appreciate if you cn provide a summary of your issue also appreciate if you can send me the contacts on a private message.. how did you get them
__________________

2013 535Xi Alpine White/Brown Cinnamon. M Sport - Premium - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assist - Soft Touch Doors - Premium Hi Fi - Auto Rear Sunshade
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 03-11-2014, 05:50 PM
nabego nabego is online now
Registered User
Location: Spain
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 520D F10
Any news on the solution of the famous vibration at 100-120km / h, references have brought new parts?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:46 PM
TrimThis TrimThis is offline
Registered User
Location: Southwest
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 2014 528i M-Sport
I didn't have time to read all posts so if this is a repeat, sorry. My personal experience some time ago was with out of round tires. One quick way to check is to raise car and place something close to the tire. In my case it was a jack stand, but many things will work. Spin the wheel by hand and see how much the gap changes. Rear wheels may need to be done with power. If gap changes can be seen easily by eye you have a out of round issue. Tires may need to be replaced or "trued" if anyone in your area has a machine for this. Tire dealers who still do this are getting few and far between.

The machine has a cutter that shaves the high spots from the tire to bring it back to round. I too had a vibration that could not be fixed till I discovered "trueing". Rebalanced and problem gone. Hope this helps and gives one more place to check for problems.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
av8tor8 av8tor8 is offline
Registered User
Location: Mississippi
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: X5 4.8l
vibration

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, my vehicle vibrates (high frequency) all the time, even at idle.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM
baloo588 baloo588 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Forest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 428
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimThis View Post
I didn't have time to read all posts so if this is a repeat, sorry. My personal experience some time ago was with out of round tires. One quick way to check is to raise car and place something close to the tire. In my case it was a jack stand, but many things will work. Spin the wheel by hand and see how much the gap changes. Rear wheels may need to be done with power. If gap changes can be seen easily by eye you have a out of round issue. Tires may need to be replaced or "trued" if anyone in your area has a machine for this. Tire dealers who still do this are getting few and far between.

The machine has a cutter that shaves the high spots from the tire to bring it back to round. I too had a vibration that could not be fixed till I discovered "trueing". Rebalanced and problem gone. Hope this helps and gives one more place to check for problems.
We use hunter road force this day in age to detect out of round tires so they can be remounted or discarded/returned for another tire. Truing is not used often these days. Eitherway it did not solve 90% of our problems we are discussing here…...
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,300
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
If the wheel is not true, the vibration will be at all speed, not just between 65 MPH to 70 MPH. This sounds more like a harmonic vibration to me.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Zak13200 Zak13200 is offline
Registered User
Location: Brits
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: BMW Activehybrid5
My car is at BMW SA for 4 months now. No sollution. Even the loan 520i had vibration problem. This is my 3rd F10 in 2 years with vibration. How can BMW get away with this???????
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Zak13200 Zak13200 is offline
Registered User
Location: Brits
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: BMW Activehybrid5
People please. If you have the same problem please become part of this thread. It takes a couple of minutes to subscribe. I am taking legal action against BMW SA. Please. Leave emails etc...... My email: Quik.sandstone@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 AM
Georgyporgy Georgyporgy is offline
Registered User
Location: London
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: Bmw 520d F10
Okay folks this is the problem. Injectors !....after 4 months the car is vibration free. Shame I no longer own it and had to go back to Mercedes.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 AM
USexpat USexpat is offline
Registered User
Location: Basel
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2013 530d xDrive Estate
I acquired my 2013 530d xDrive wagon in Basel in Sept. I test drove a different 530d prior to acquiring my car and commented to the salesman during the test drive that I could feel a vibration. He said he didn't feel it but would have the tires balanced to be sure. A couple days after the test drive someone else bought the car. I ended up getting a different vehicle than the one I test drove and it is smooth as silk. I was very disappointed that the car I wanted got purchased by someone else but after reading this thread I'm very happy with the outcome.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Zak13200 Zak13200 is offline
Registered User
Location: Brits
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: BMW Activehybrid5
I wish I was as lucky as you. 4 cars on the trot with the vibration
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Zak13200 Zak13200 is offline
Registered User
Location: Brits
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: BMW Activehybrid5
BMW are selling these vehicles knowingly of this defect. Heard from a technition in South Africa that when they buy back a vibrating car they put it right back on the sales floor to get resold!!!
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
tarunshri tarunshri is offline
Registered User
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 535i
So I am joining the vibration club. I was thinking maybe since the car is new, there maybe some vibrations. Its over a month old, 1400 miles and still the same. Still vibrations. Now I am reading here that this is not just my car.
As soon as I get close to 70, the car starts vibrating. I go below 60 and it goes away. Have not driven past 80 so would not know if it stops above that speed.
I am thinking if I take it to the dealer and he starts fiddling and fixing it, it would show up in my car fax. And I would not be able to get decent price out of resale. I should rather just drive this stupid car below 60, keep it for 6 months and then exchange for a Jag or Lexus.
This is my first BMW and seems my last. I was really excited to own one but its all over. If it is such a widespread problem and different people find different fixes for it, means BMW is just shooting in dark with every car that has this problem and somehow sometimes it gets resolved. Not sure what to do.
Do not want to lose 10K trading this car off in a month. Cant drive it above 60. Cant get it fixed or else even it gets fixed, the resale will take a big hit. It might show as major mechanical problem.
I know there are some hardcore BMW fans out here who would start defending BMW. I still like my car but this thing has really dented my love for this brand.
Any suggestions how to proceed?
What are the options I have?
__________________
2013 535i. Cashmere Silver. No packages. .
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
bmw325 bmw325 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,745
Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunshri View Post
So I am joining the vibration club. I was thinking maybe since the car is new, there maybe some vibrations. Its over a month old, 1400 miles and still the same. Still vibrations. Now I am reading here that this is not just my car.

As soon as I get close to 70, the car starts vibrating. I go below 60 and it goes away. Have not driven past 80 so would not know if it stops above that speed.

I am thinking if I take it to the dealer and he starts fiddling and fixing it, it would show up in my car fax. And I would not be able to get decent price out of resale. I should rather just drive this stupid car below 60, keep it for 6 months and then exchange for a Jag or Lexus.

This is my first BMW and seems my last. I was really excited to own one but its all over. If it is such a widespread problem and different people find different fixes for it, means BMW is just shooting in dark with every car that has this problem and somehow sometimes it gets resolved. Not sure what to do.

Do not want to lose 10K trading this car off in a month. Cant drive it above 60. Cant get it fixed or else even it gets fixed, the resale will take a big hit. It might show as major mechanical problem.

I know there are some hardcore BMW fans out here who would start defending BMW. I still like my car but this thing has really dented my love for this brand.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

What are the options I have?

Can you still take advantage of that opportunity you had to trade it in at no loss and get a 14?

Otherwise the best course of action is going to be to take it to the dealer. Not sure about your states lemon laws but typically if they fail to fix it after 3x they have to buy it back.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM
av8tor8 av8tor8 is offline
Registered User
Location: Mississippi
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: X5 4.8l
vibration

You have my sympathy. My 2008 X5 vibrates from the time I start it until the time I turn it off. IT'S NOT TIRES GUY'S. From 1970 to 1973 I was stationed in Germany. Bought a new 2002 model BMW. It was fantastic. Never a problem. Always wanted another one since then, but never got another one until this 2008. Obviously,after reading all the problems on the forum, BMW doesn't make them like they used too. This one will be my last. Hopefully it doesn't vibrate apart until the extended warranty runs out.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM
tarunshri tarunshri is offline
Registered User
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Can you still take advantage of that opportunity you had to trade it in at no loss and get a 14?

Otherwise the best course of action is going to be to take it to the dealer. Not sure about your states lemon laws but typically if they fail to fix it after 3x they have to buy it back.
I had said no to the dealer. But I can always open negotiation for another one in lot. I can see a 2014 535i with Premium package being offered at 52000. I am sure I can talk it down to 50k.
So its 2014 535i Alpine White, Venetian beige, premium package.
FL has lemon law for same problem 3 times. I just emailed the sales rep who sold me the car to tell me how to proceed. I don't want to get into a repair loop unless I am sure I want to fight it to the lemon court if it does not get fixed. Or maybe just trade in with a lexus or a Jag. The Sales Reps wouldn't care anything about the car. Its a new BMW and I should be able to trade in at no loss.
I am not inclined for another BMW at this point in time. I have an 8 yr old Hyundai V6 which still drive like a charm. My wife drives 2010 which drives smooth as well.
This is my first BMW. Was excited till I bought it
__________________
2013 535i. Cashmere Silver. No packages. .
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM
tarunshri tarunshri is offline
Registered User
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor8 View Post
You have my sympathy. My 2008 X5 vibrates from the time I start it until the time I turn it off. IT'S NOT TIRES GUY'S. From 1970 to 1973 I was stationed in Germany. Bought a new 2002 model BMW. It was fantastic. Never a problem. Always wanted another one since then, but never got another one until this 2008. Obviously,after reading all the problems on the forum, BMW doesn't make them like they used too. This one will be my last. Hopefully it doesn't vibrate apart until the extended warranty runs out.
LOL.. I am coming to grips with it now. I guess I will keep this as my slow grocery shopping car..n continue to look to trade in and get a Jag. I like jaguars much much more now. I have driven a few and they have really improved. At least they do not create such a high expectation. If I have to buy a defective car, I rather buy a Gibli
__________________
2013 535i. Cashmere Silver. No packages. .
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
mikeny mikeny is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC, PA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 133
Mein Auto: X5, M6 Vert
Thumbs down .

my solution - just to order 2014 GT 328, will see if no issue in a few weeks

most likely its an Xdrive problem with some type of part not balanced well and related to 5ser. chassis by design

I can see on how 5ser. sales will go down in 3-5 years, its a chain reaction, I have so many friends with 5 ser. for the past 2-3 generations ... all saying this is it - no more 5 for them (including me / mine will be gone off lease in 3-5 weeks ), so far I had 13 new BMW in a past 15 years and my 2011 535xi the most boring car ever + with vibration issue above 60mph - can wait to bring it back for exchange

mike
__________________
2008 M6 Vert
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM
tarunshri tarunshri is offline
Registered User
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post
my solution - just to order 2014 GT 328, will see if no issue in a few weeks

most likely its an Xdrive problem with some type of part not balanced well and related to 5ser. chassis by design

I can see on how 5ser. sales will go down in 3-5 years, its a chain reaction, I have so many friends with 5 ser. for the past 2-3 generations ... all saying this is it - no more 5 for them (including me / mine will be gone off lease in 3-5 weeks ), so far I had 13 new BMW in a past 15 years and my 2011 535xi the most boring car ever + with vibration issue above 60mph - can wait to bring it back for exchange

mike
Not sure what to do at this moment. Tkinking of ditching BMW brand and move on
__________________
2013 535i. Cashmere Silver. No packages. .
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,300
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunshri View Post
So I am joining the vibration club. I was thinking maybe since the car is new, there maybe some vibrations. Its over a month old, 1400 miles and still the same. Still vibrations. Now I am reading here that this is not just my car.
As soon as I get close to 70, the car starts vibrating. I go below 60 and it goes away. Have not driven past 80 so would not know if it stops above that speed.
I am thinking if I take it to the dealer and he starts fiddling and fixing it, it would show up in my car fax. And I would not be able to get decent price out of resale. I should rather just drive this stupid car below 60, keep it for 6 months and then exchange for a Jag or Lexus.
This is my first BMW and seems my last. I was really excited to own one but its all over. If it is such a widespread problem and different people find different fixes for it, means BMW is just shooting in dark with every car that has this problem and somehow sometimes it gets resolved. Not sure what to do.
Do not want to lose 10K trading this car off in a month. Cant drive it above 60. Cant get it fixed or else even it gets fixed, the resale will take a big hit. It might show as major mechanical problem.
I know there are some hardcore BMW fans out here who would start defending BMW. I still like my car but this thing has really dented my love for this brand.
Any suggestions how to proceed?
What are the options I have?
I guess I do not follow your logic, so everytime there is something wrong with your car, in fear of carfax, you are going to sell your car
First of all, unless it is an accident or a lemon, the maintenance report in car fax will not affect the value too much. Its most like just an alignment issue or tire/wheel problem, you are going to lose $10000 just because you dont want to get your car fix under warranty ???????
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM
tarunshri tarunshri is offline
Registered User
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I guess I do not follow your logic, so everytime there is something wrong with your car, in fear of carfax, you are going to sell your car
First of all, unless it is an accident or a lemon, the maintenance report in car fax will not affect the value too much. Its most like just an alignment issue or tire/wheel problem, you are going to lose $10000 just because you dont want to get your car fix under warranty ???????
Oh no. Its not about every time. The issue here is that this is a very common problem. It will reflect on the car fax and the trade in will be lower. Now that is all based on the assumption that it can be fixed. Many posters here have said they live with this issue. So I am not sure if I want to even go ahead and try to get this fixed when very many have tried and failed. Then it reflects on the car fax. That was the point I was trying to make. If it gets fixed, then I am fine but if it does not, then whenever I want to sell it, the car fax and the service history will show the car is practically lemon but not refunded by BMW. You know what I mean?
__________________
2013 535i. Cashmere Silver. No packages. .
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,300
Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunshri View Post
Oh no. Its not about every time. The issue here is that this is a very common problem. It will reflect on the car fax and the trade in will be lower. Now that is all based on the assumption that it can be fixed. Many posters here have said they live with this issue. So I am not sure if I want to even go ahead and try to get this fixed when very many have tried and failed. Then it reflects on the car fax. That was the point I was trying to make. If it gets fixed, then I am fine but if it does not, then whenever I want to sell it, the car fax and the service history will show the car is practically lemon but not refunded by BMW. You know what I mean?
Then go to the wheels aligned in a tire shop or indy mechanic, while you are there, balance the tires. I am sure the maintenance at the tire shop will not be on carfax.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
tarunshri tarunshri is offline
Registered User
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 46
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Then go to the wheels aligned in a tire shop or indy mechanic, while you are there, balance the tires. I am sure the maintenance at the tire shop will not be on carfax.
I get that. What I am trying to vent is my frustration with BMW not able to test their cars and above all, not able to create quality cars. I am glad they do not make planes.
Hopefully this is my one of few bad experiences which either goes away with time or else I will dump the BMW brand. It is not worth the price if there is no fun in driving. There seems to be other cars more reliable than BMW and and reasonable fun though not as much as BMW.
__________________
2013 535i. Cashmere Silver. No packages. .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms