Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
E39 M5 buying question

Hell everyone, glad to be here. I am looking to get back into BMW ownership and am at a point where I am in a position to buy a 2001-2003 M5 and was hoping to get some advice on buying one, and so forth. I have been looking at 2003 m sports but I demand a manual and those vehicles seem to be priced not far off from similar M5s. Anything you all can provide to me would be greatly appreciated. I am a new member to this forum... Thanks!
Z
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Z-

Welcome to Bimmerfest. My first suggestion would be to go to M5Board.com. Now, I am not knocking on this forum, because I love it here! But, not so much for M5's unfortunately. M5Board, has tons and tons of knowledge and some perfect examples available for sale right now. If your looking for advise and dont mind actually research stuff on your own, that is the place for you.

Now, onto your questions:
I think your starting point is perfect. Looking for an 2001-2003 has many benefits that my 2000 doesn't have. BUT 2001+ models currently cost a couple thousand more than 2000's for various reasons listed below:
1) Start 2001 (maybe even 09/2000), a VANOS accumulator was installed to get rid of that "diesel" rattle that some M5s are prone too. Some worse than others, for instance mine is not bad at all (knock on wood, and does not affect performance), and others have had to drop over $3k+ on VANOS rebuilds.

2) With a 2001+, you get the "facelift" features. This includes; angel eye headlights, CELIS tail lights, updated 16:9 Nav screen, MKIII or MKIV (depending on year), etc. All of these items are pretty coveted by us 2000er's.

3) Maintenance; now this is heavily debated and people can go on for days about this stuff. Many will tell you, "oh an M5 will kill you in maintenance"...To some extent that is true, and another extent completely false. If your able to work on your vehicle yourself, you will save tons on labor cost. YES, parts for the M5 definitely cost more than any normal 5-series, or 3-series. But its the Pride in owning a BEAST of a machine. If you do your due diligence, an M5 can last a very long time. How hard is it to work on an M5? Not very hard at all actually, I was a little hesitate coming from a 3-series, but I find it just as easy to work on.

Just take your time, and find the right one if your set on owning an M5.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 01-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate the advice. I do wrench a bit and have since I was 10 on various autos, italian, german and good old american. I currently have two older cars I work on that are sub 1970 era and also my ultra slow, but rock solid 86 diesel jetta. These are certainly in a different realm in sophistication and..really, everything-wise. Anyway... What do you think would be too much mileage (all things being equal) compared to price. How much should I not exceed in payment for a 2001-2003 M5 with, say, 90K miles? Just a stab at getting some wisdom.
Thank you very much.
Z
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbeam View Post
Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate the advice. I do wrench a bit and have since I was 10 on various autos, italian, german and good old american. I currently have two older cars I work on that are sub 1970 era and also my ultra slow, but rock solid 86 diesel jetta. These are certainly in a different realm in sophistication and..really, everything-wise. Anyway... What do you think would be too much mileage (all things being equal) compared to price. How much should I not exceed in payment for a 2001-2003 M5 with, say, 90K miles? Just a stab at getting some wisdom.
Thank you very much.
Z
Fair Market Value ranges a decent amount. Ive seen 2001 with 130k go for as little as $12k. I'd say if your looking for a really nice example that has been taken care of, your looking at around $15k-30k. Now, I know this is a big range, but there is just so much out there. With 90k, I'd say on the lower end of that range I provided. Again, this is just my estimate and opinion.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 01-07-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
You got great advice about M5 board. There are 500 posts there for every one here. This sub forum will get 3,4 posts in a week. We get 3,4 posts in 3,4 minutes.

Condition is everything. You will not apprecuate this, it is very hard to discern. Yes, someone may find a jewel for cheap...but well cared for cars will demand a premium and people dont get this. (likewise some sellers think way too much of their car..

GL
Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbeam View Post
Hell everyone, glad to be here. I am looking to get back into BMW ownership and am at a point where I am in a position to buy a 2001-2003 M5 and was hoping to get some advice on buying one, and so forth. I have been looking at 2003 m sports but I demand a manual and those vehicles seem to be priced not far off from similar M5s. Anything you all can provide to me would be greatly appreciated. I am a new member to this forum... Thanks!
Z
if you are looking for one that mechanicly has been over worked on i am in market to sell mine soon i am upgrading to the E60 M5 571-330-4040
Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I strongly suggest anybody wanting an e39 M5 to pay the $100 for the hour full inspection by a BMW shop.
I didn't follow my own advice and I did my own inspection of the car, test drive and maintenance records...as it turns out, Friday i got a 100% clean bill of health and did very well after I already bought it.

But I'm not sure I'd gamble again.