Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix M Sport
Still not understanding the DHP Package

When I leased my 2011 535ix M Sport, the M Sport option cost $6,500 and included Dynamic Damper Control, Active Roll Stabilization and Adaptive Drive. Now I'm looking at a 2013/14 550ix M Sport. The M Sport option is only $3,050, but there is a separate option now for the Dynamic Handling Package for $3,500, which still includes the 3 aforementioned items. So basically it seems they just split the M Sport into two separate options, and one can opt out of the DHP. But when I am building my car on bmwusa.com, when I click on the DHP option, a pop up says "Option will delete M Sport Suspension". (Question 1) WTH does this mean?

Now I'm second guessing if I even fully understand what the DHP option even means. Without the DHP option, (Question 2) do you still get the four driving modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+)? If so, (Question 3) what is the difference if I get the M Sport but not the DHP. And last question, (Question 4) if you were in my position, would you opt for the DHP option, or save the $3.5k.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxnitroxz View Post
So basically it seems they just split the M Sport into two separate options, and one can opt out of the DHP.
YES

Quote:
But when I am building my car on bmwusa.com, when I click on the DHP option, a pop up says "Option will delete M Sport Suspension". (Question 1) WTH does this mean?
For 2014 and 2013, M-Sports (RWD ONLY, not xDrives) got a passive (non-adjustable) stiffer/lowered suspension. If you order DHP, it would replace/delete the passive sport suspension. But that only applies to RWD models since xDrives don't get the M-sport suspension in the first place.

Quote:
Now I'm second guessing if I even fully understand what the DHP option even means. Without the DHP option, (Question 2) do you still get the four driving modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport+)?
I'm not certain on this. I have those four on my RWD MSport with the Sport Auto Trans. Correction: I have Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+. I think the 550s don't bother with Eco Pro ;-)

Quote:
If so, (Question 3) what is the difference if I get the M Sport but not the DHP.
You'd have the "base" suspension, since your xDrive doesn't get the M-Sport suspension. DHP is your only suspension upgrade option on an xDrive. Though the word is is that the base suspension is improved on the 2014's versus prior years.

Quote:
And last question, (Question 4) if you were in my position, would you opt for the DHP option, or save the $3.5k.
If I had to have xDrive, I'd get the DHP since it's the only suspension upgrade. RWD with the M-Sport suspension would be a harder decision whether the $3500 DHP is needed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto Transmission, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Harmon/Kardon stereo. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position non-runflats, Painted reflectors, M5 grille.

Last edited by mness; 01-20-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
To answer question #2, you still get driving modes. They are no longer named the same. I believe if you have DHP, they are now Comfort Plus, Comfort, Sport and Sport plus. I believe, somoene can correct me if I'm wrong, that if you don't have DHP, you just have Comfort, Sport and Sport plus.

The driving modes change steering as well as transmission and throttle. If you don't have DHP, you still have modes, but they only affect the afore mentioned items, not the suspension.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix M Sport
Thank you both for your prompt responses - very helpful.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
There really is not very much to understand if you are using your F10 for taxi duty think about getting it if you do not mind the extra investment.
Otherwise the Standard suspension is okay for normal use.
Think you need something sporty?
Get 704.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
To answer question #2, you still get driving modes. They are no longer named the same. I believe if you have DHP, they are now Comfort Plus, Comfort, Sport and Sport plus. I believe, somoene can correct me if I'm wrong, that if you don't have DHP, you just have Comfort, Sport and Sport plus.

The driving modes change steering as well as transmission and throttle. If you don't have DHP, you still have modes, but they only affect the afore mentioned items, not the suspension.
The available modes and what they is confusing because it changes depending on year and options. I know that all 2014s get the driving mode switch. But I think the base car may only have comfort and sport modes. Adding sport automatic gets you sport+. And I think DHP adds comfort +. So with both of those you'd have all 4 options. DHP alone may also give you sport+ - i'm not 100% sure. I don't think Msport alone changes anything about what modes are available. And of course, if you dont get DHP the modes don't change the way the suspenion feels- just steering (atleast on RWD models with EPS), throttle response and traction control intervention. So for the most configurability you'd want a RWD 535 or 550 with DHP and sport auto. (The 528 isn't avaiable with DHP).

Last edited by bmw325; 01-20-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I have DHP. It has 5 modes: Eco Pro, Comfort+, Comfort, Sport and Sport+. I also have the SAT, which may be why I have Sport+, not 100% sure on that part. But SAT is standard on 550s anyway.

In addition to adjusting the powertrain settings (which happens in all models, regardless of suspension), DHP adds 3 suspension settings: firm (sport and sport+), normal (Comfort and Eco Pro) and soft (Comfort+). The settings are incorporated into the dynamic drive settings. You cannot select soft suspension with sporty powertrain, for instance.

It also has active anti-roll bars, so it can eliminate most perceptible body roll, while still providing a comfortable ride, even in Sport and Sport+.

If you're set on AWD, and you're willing to pay for a 550, I would recommend DHP, even at $3500. You can definitely feel the difference between the settings. The soft setting is softer than the standard suspension and the firm setting is firmer than the 704. But forgo AWD, get the 704 and you can save about $6 grand, and 200-300 lbs of curb weight.

2014 535d xDrive | Imp Blue | Mocha | MSport | Cold Weather | Driver Assist | DHP | LED | SAT | Multi-Contour | Harmon Kardon
2011 X5 35d xDrive (RETIRED) | Space Gray | Cinnamon Brown

Last edited by piredon; 01-20-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM
6' / 250lbs

Mein Auto: '12 X5 + '14 M5 SOON!
I wish I could forgo the AWD!! My wife lets me buy whatever cars i want (and can afford of course)… BUT….it HAS to have AWD. So instead of the M5 this time, I am going 550xi. I sure hope the M5 comes with AWD in 2017!!! Let's hope the rumors are true!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I wish I could forgo the AWD!! My wife lets me buy whatever cars i want (and can afford of course)… BUT….it HAS to have AWD. So instead of the M5 this time, I am going 550xi. I sure hope the M5 comes with AWD in 2017!!! Let's hope the rumors are true!
Ha- I feel your pain. My wife insists on automatic which is worse than awd...

Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
I wish I could forgo the AWD!! My wife lets me buy whatever cars i want (and can afford of course)…. BUT…..it HAS to have AWD. So instead of the M5 this time, I am going 550xi. I sure hope the M5 comes with AWD in 2017!!! Let's hope the rumors are true!
I just took the plunge on 550xi for the same reason ... awd cheaper than new wife ... even the internet variety!

Love it. Great car ... I dont have the damper suspension but have every other option. No regrets. Ill save the $3500 for tickets and court costs!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i Blk/Blk MSport
Does DHP automatically mean you have anti-roll or were they stand alone options on a 2102 550i RWD?

Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFTW8SNOW View Post
Does DHP automatically mean you have anti-roll or were they stand alone options on a 2102 550i RWD?

DHP has always included active anti roll. But there was not always a DHP.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Ten2Six

Mein Auto: '11 550i
Now to complicate matters does the 2013 awd still comes with hydraulic steering? How about the 2014s?

I'm a bit disappointed with my 'boaty' 2011 550i with dhp/ars non m, time to do something about it!

Am I right to think that non dhp awd 2013 presuming with the so-called 704 suspension will get me closer to e60 feel in suspension and steering??

Thanks for the feedback

Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimp View Post
Am I right to think that non dhp awd 2013 presuming with the so-called 704 suspension will get me closer to e60 feel in suspension and steering?
Nope. AWD is incompatible with the 704 (M-Sport) suspension. If you have AWD, BMW omits the 704 suspension even if you paid for M-Sport.

2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, Sport Auto Transmission, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Heated Seats, Navigation, Harmon/Kardon stereo. Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position non-runflats, Painted reflectors, M5 grille.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix Msport
Lots on this subject. Good responses and overall knowledge. I had a 2011 RWD/704. Personally, It was a rocket and I really enjoyed it. I know have a 2013 550 AWD. I just have the comfort/sport/sport+. No DHP. I cant tell a whole lot of difference. The trajectory rocket launch of the 2011 704 is gone now that I have the RWD. I often remind myself I never bought this car for cornering like a Porsche GT3 or similar. Its a luxury sedan with gonads......The sport and sport plus tighten this suspension up enough to where I am happy.......
Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by day03tls View Post
Lots on this subject. Good responses and overall knowledge. I had a 2011 RWD/704. Personally, It was a rocket and I really enjoyed it. I know have a 2013 550 AWD. I just have the comfort/sport/sport+. No DHP. I cant tell a whole lot of difference. The trajectory rocket launch of the 2011 704 is gone now that I have the RWD. I often remind myself I never bought this car for cornering like a Porsche GT3 or similar. Its a luxury sedan with gonads......The sport and sport plus tighten this suspension up enough to where I am happy.......
Don't think any US spec f10 got 704 until 2013.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Ten2Six

Mein Auto: '11 550i
What about the steering? Still hydraulic or completely gone electronic for 2014?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimp View Post
What about the steering? Still hydraulic or completely gone electronic for 2014?
Awd 535 and 550 are still hydraulic.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: honda civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Awd 535 and 550 are still hydraulic.

Really?! How can I tell from BMWUSA website? The spec all looks the same on power steering.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
Really?! How can I tell from BMWUSA website? The spec all looks the same on power steering.
They don't really tout it and they probably don't want to confuse customers by talking about hps vs eps

You might find this article interesting
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...n-test-feature

Last edited by bmw325; 03-16-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Starting with September 2013 production, M-Sport gets you a stiffer conventional suspension, code 704. Earlier 2014 M-Sports had the same suspension parts as the non-M-Sports.

If you get the DHP, it's the same on M-Sports and non-M-Sports.

M-Sport gets you:
704 with conventional suspension
M steering wheel.
Different manual shift lever (but manual transmissions are no longer available in the US)
M dead pedal
Black side window trim
Unique font and rear bumpers
155 MPH governor (vs. 130 MPH)
Staggered tire sizes, depending on AWD/RWD and engine size (30mm wider rears )
All season or performance run-flats (your choice)
Unique wheels
M kick plates on the door sills
Black headliner

I ordered mine in August, and the dealer put in a WTFBMW? call about the suspension issue.

I like the chrome window trim and solid color rear bumper of the non-M-Sport. So, I ended up with a Luxury Line but with a manual transmission and DHP (a very odd car). The tires are "touring, all-season, run flats" and all the same width. "Touring" is a euphemism for "low traction." Once they're gone, I should have a nice driving car.

There's also an EcoPro mode on the DHP. I stay away from it. It seems to prevent you from blipping the throttle for downshifts on the manual transmission.

I guess I'm getting old, but I end up hitting the Comfort mode once my shifting is done and I'm going in a straight line(highway or interstate driving). Frau Autoputzer always complained about my E46 M3's ride. Now, she's happy. Well, at least she doesn't complain about my car's ride anymore.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-16-2014 at 01:19 PM.