Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i
Considering Opti-Coat

Hi Folks,

I posted this in the detail forum, but thought this section may get a little more traffic. I recently bought a pre-owned 5 series that I am looking to get detailed very soon. Iím leaning toward an opti-coat package, but I am having a difficult time justifying spending over $500 for a detail lol. For those that have taken the plunge, are you happy with the results? Is it worth $500 - $600? Did you opt for the warranty? I have read a number of posts where folks have said that applying opti-coat isnít a difficult process, but Iím still more comfortable having a professional detailer handle everything esp. when it comes to the preparation required prior to applying the opti-coat.

Here are the prices Iíve received from my detailer:

Paint Prep, Complete Interior Detail (cleaning and conditioning), plus Opti-Coat - $475 without a warranty; $575 with a warranty

If I donít go with the opti-coat, Iíll likely just get a basic interior/exterior detail that includes a hand wash, clay bar, wax, and interior cleaning for $160.

The website of where I am going is below if anyone is interested in taking a look:

http://www.tssdetailing.com/cincinna...detailing.html

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
2012 528i|Space Gray Metallic/Oyster & Black Interior|M Sport Package|Cold Weather Package|Premium Package|Technology Package|Luxury Seating Package|Driver Assistance Package|Premium Sound|Rear Seat Entertainment
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 535d
I did it on my F10, and it's worth it no question, it's been 6 months now and no matter how dirty it gets I go to the quarter do it yourself wash and hit it with the power wash and the dirt just flies off, and super easy to do a rinse less wash with.

I had my paint, windshield, and wheels done.

To me it's worth more than the 5-600 you pay, of course I'm OCD about my car being clean all the time.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2008 View Post
Hi Folks,

I posted this in the detail forum, but thought this section may get a little more traffic. I recently bought a pre-owned 5 series that I am looking to get detailed very soon. Iím leaning toward an opti-coat package, but I am having a difficult time justifying spending over $500 for a detail lol. For those that have taken the plunge, are you happy with the results? Is it worth $500 - $600? Did you opt for the warranty? I have read a number of posts where folks have said that applying opti-coat isnít a difficult process, but Iím still more comfortable having a professional detailer handle everything esp. when it comes to the preparation required prior to applying the opti-coat.

Here are the prices Iíve received from my detailer:

Paint Prep, Complete Interior Detail (cleaning and conditioning), plus Opti-Coat - $475 without a warranty; $575 with a warranty

If I donít go with the opti-coat, Iíll likely just get a basic interior/exterior detail that includes a hand wash, clay bar, wax, and interior cleaning for $160.

The website of where I am going is below if anyone is interested in taking a look:

http://www.tssdetailing.com/cincinna...detailing.html

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
I didn't do OC, so can't comment on it. But I do have a question about your detailers prices. Why is he charging more for a warranty?

This comes across to me as he won't do as thorough a job if you don't spring for the extra $100.

Mybe I'm reading too much into it, but that's what it says to me.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535d
From what I know the company optimum requires a minimum charge for the service, so if you pay the extra cost to get to the minimum then you will get the warranty from optimum.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback capital10! And yeah, the warranty is directly through Optimum as opposed to my detailer...he actually said that he didn't think it was necessary, but I'm not sure if I want to take any chances....attempting to save an extra $100 may bite me in the a$$ lol
2012 528i|Space Gray Metallic/Oyster & Black Interior|M Sport Package|Cold Weather Package|Premium Package|Technology Package|Luxury Seating Package|Driver Assistance Package|Premium Sound|Rear Seat Entertainment
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2008 View Post
Thanks for the feedback capital10! And yeah, the warranty is directly through Optimum as opposed to my detailer...he actually said that he didn't think it was necessary, but I'm not sure if I want to take any chances....attempting to save an extra $100 may bite me in the a$$ lol
I applied a coating on a my new car myself. The finish needs to be perfect otherwise the scratches will be sealed under the coating. I love the coating on my car and would not hesitate to do it again.

BMW CCA Member
Old 03-11-2014, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: F10 528i
There are 2 version of Opticoat, one is for commercial and another consumer version. If you have tools to polish out scratches and swirl mark, then you can DIY. It's easier to maintain the car in shinning condition after opticoat.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Thanks all!

Pierreye - I do not have the tools to polish out scratches and swirl marks. When the weather is decent, I have usually just hand washed my cars...that's the extent of my detailing experience lol
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
It's good to be bad

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Msport
Here's a link with a review and video of how well these coating work. It's the Gtechniq like not Opti cote, but they're very similar. It also explains if you want to DIY. If I were you, I'd pay the $168 and have the detail shop remove the scratches and swirls. Then I'd buy the Gtechnic panel wipe for $18. It strips all the waxes, coatings of the car and makes it ready for coating. I used the C1 and EXO. In all you'd be out about $350 and have two different types of coating with superior protection.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=738565

Sent from your moms house

2014 535i Msport - Delivered
2012 X5 Msport - active
2012 X5 Msport - deceased
2008 335i Dinan stage2, Forged 360 wheels- Retired
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi
Hi - I don't post here much, but wanted to add my 2 cents on OC: I had it done to my 1-month-old Dark Metallic Gray LCI 535 x-drive last September, based on all the raves over at the Detailers Domain website, and I really love it. David Nelson at "Expert Auto Detailers" booked it for me (I guess he's some sort of national or regional distributor of OC) with a third-party detailing shop, and someone at that shop who handles applying it in the DC metro Area (Columbia, MD) applied it for me. I made an appointment and simply left the car with them for the day. I did Opticoat Pro (the version that's not avail. to DIYers, as far as I know. I think Opti Coat 2.0 is the DIY product.). They did the whole car body, plus headlight lenses, plus the rims. I think the total price was around $600.

I'm not nearly the car geek that 90% of you guys are on here, but to my eye it's the most amazing car finish I've ever seen. NOTHING sticks to it - every bit of gunk, dirt, road salt, etc. mostly rinses right off. I do ONR (Optimum No Rinse) washes with a dozen microfiber cloths....super easy (for the amateur that I am) and the results are fantastic. It's especially useful to get the rims done with OC, IMHO...I can drive 2K miles in lots of city rush hour stop&go traffic and there is ZERO brake dust or any dirt at all showing on the rims. It seems like the dust just can't even stick to the rims, with the OC on it.

I think this product is exactly the thing for guys like me who are never going to be that anal or disciplined to do high-level, 10-different-products-and-steps washes and waxes and detailing all day on a nice Saturday afternoon (NTTAWWT...). Personally, I have other things I want to do with my time. This product lets me "cheat" and look like I am the Uber 5-hour detailing ultimate car care geek, with only a 15-minute ONR wash and maybe a little Maguires instant spray wax (<< I forget what it's called...told you I wasn't a car geek =:>) in the highly visible spots.

So...a major thumbs-up from me for Opti-Coat.

Here's the guy I used: David Nelson <david.nelson@xpertautodetailers.com>

Best of luck -
Rob
Washington DC/Annapolis
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I had a detailer opticoat mine. The biggest time and cost of the process is getting the swirls and scratches off since, like others have said, you must get these off before applying opticoat. Since you bought used, if the previous owner took it through a touch car wash one time, then you're pretty much hosed and it could be very expensive and time consuming (20+ hours) to actually get the swirls off. I think my detailer spent something like 8 hours on mine and it was straight from factory (I had it delivered right to the detailer's house without any of the shipping wrap taken off and it still had blemishes in the paint). You can read about and watch a video of my car on the detailer's blog here: http://www.reflections-detailing.com...int-and-wheels

I question whether the pricing quoted to you will give you a proper result. A great detailer will be in the $40-$60/hour range and if your car requires 20 hours of work to get the swirls and scratches off, that's $1,000 right there even before the cost of opticoat. Remember, the main cost is in prepping the car properly prior to applying opticoat. The actual application of opticoat only costs something like $250.

Regarding opticoat itself, it's a great product. The car is much easier to clean. A run through a touchless car wash that uses good chemicals is enough to get the car clean essentially top to bottom. I had my detailer remove my wheels and opticoat them top to bottom and I haven't had the kinds of break dust issues I've had with previous BMW's. In fact, my wheels stay relatively clean.

Overall, I am very happy I did it and will do it on my next car.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
+1 on having the car polished then Opticoated. My detailer includes the wheels as well which makes them easy to keep clean.
According to my Detailer, Opticoat does not do well with hard water so its best to keep the car away from sprinklers or any situation where hard water might dry on the car.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 X3
Does anyone have experience with Tef Guard versus Opti? I can't find a local shop the does Opti, only Tef Guard.

http://www.procleanoftysons.com
Old 03-13-2014, 09:37 PM

Thanks all!

Skalberti - thanks for sharing! I'm not a DIY kinda gal when it comes to exterior detailing lol...I can handle detailing the interior, but I'm nervous about messing with the exterior unless it's a simple hand wash and spray wax...I don't trust myself with chemicals that if applied incorrectly, could mess up the finish.

Rob-lci-535xi- that was very helpful. Seems like the prices my detailer quoted me are reasonable. His price includes applying opti-coat to the wheel facias, but there would be an additional charge for him to remove the wheels and fully coat the entire wheel. Did you get the warranty?

Cordoor - thanks for sharing the video! The detailer's price includes prepping the car for the opti-coat (clay bar, polish, etc). I see your point regarding the amount of time it takes to actually rid the car of swirls, blemishes, scratches, etc but I can only go off of the prices he gave me. He has a very good reputation and is very knowledgable so I'm hoping his seemingly low prices isn't an indication of the amount of effort he'll put toward detailing my car lol. Did you get the warranty?