Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550iX
Newbie here. Do I just download this onto a USB stick and then plug it into the car? Or is there more to it than that.
(and before I get the RTFM line, CPO didn't come with a manual, so I would appreciate the help)
Bob
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 535i and '14 x5 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrysztak550iX View Post
Newbie here. Do I just download this onto a USB stick and then plug it into the car? Or is there more to it than that.
(and before I get the RTFM line, CPO didn't come with a manual, so I would appreciate the help)
Bob
That is pretty much it. Go to your settings in iDrive and to Software update.

Btw you can get a PDF manual online for free from the BMW web site
Old 03-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550iX
Thanks. downloaded one today.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
And just when BMW caught up with iOS 7.0.x releases, Apple dropped iOS 7.1 today.

The cat-and-mouse game never ends. :-/
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
Yesterday I did this software update on my 2014. For the first time since I've had the car , I had a problem disconnecting my 5s from a call then making another one. It may just be coincidence but I think I should have left well enough alone.

Last edited by wrickem; 03-10-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
My car has the Nav System and it is showing the same file as yours UPD01006. My car has a 07/2011 build date.

I believe that this update is for vehicles with the new NBT and not for vehicles with the old CIC like Technic said.
My car has a August 2012 build date

EDIT: unless that means the no-navs have the CIC system....in that case I guess I still don't care as the phone still works and don't feel an overwhelming need for Siri action whilst driving.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 03-10-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5351
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Yesterday I did this software update on my 2014. For the first time since I've had the car , I had a problem disconnecting my 5s from a call then making another one. It may just be coincidence but I think I should have left well enough alone.
Thanks to everyone for their reports. Given what I'm seeing (no clear benefit and maybe some risk), I think I'll pass on this one.

2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, DAP/DA Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, Technology Package
Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535I & 2008 G35
I just updated the software today and I will see if texts will display again with my Samsung SIII. Text use to show up until I did a software upgrade on my Samsung. I also have the BMW Connected App and the BMW remote App that I have been using for the last few months.

It looks like you have the ability to restore previous version, so the upgrade would appear to be risk free... Is it safe to ever say risk free???
Old 03-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
I did this update a few days ago and call me crazy but I noticed an improvement in Bluetooth music sound quality and Bluetooth music stability. Also, those of us who use Bluetooth for music, you now have a countdown of time elapsed and number of song in album (ex. song 2/52).
Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 AM

Mein Auto: '14 535iX, Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
What kind of phones are you pairing with the car?

What differences did you notice after updating the software?

Were you cars coded and did the update affect the coding in any way?

Many thanks.
Mine is paired with my iPhone 4S, soon to be replaced by the 6 when it shows up at my local Apple store.

Being totally honest, I am too new to my car and BMW to be able to give you an answer as to changes. All of the basic functions that I tried, radio, multimedia, NAV and phone, worked as they had before I performed the update. I have been playing music through the bluetooth feature, and noticed no major change.

Last edited by richpat69; 03-13-2014 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
You are crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilian11 View Post
I did this update a few days ago and call me crazy but I noticed an improvement in Bluetooth music sound quality and Bluetooth music stability. Also, those of us who use Bluetooth for music, you now have a countdown of time elapsed and number of song in album (ex. song 2/52).
Old 03-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by joder View Post
Well no change...

Good to know it isn't just the S4. I'm guessing it has to do with Samsungs being that the Nexus is one. Are you running stock Android on the phone?

We didn't have this problem on my wife's old x3.

I have a Nexus 10 that I'll have to try.

I have given up on the audio skipping problem. Was hopeful the last release in Jan/Feb would have made an improvement ... but no. Now that there's been another release and no improvement... blech! BMW sucks with their BT troubles.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post

I have given up on the audio skipping problem. Was hopeful the last release in Jan/Feb would have made an improvement ... but no. Now that there's been another release and no improvement... blech! BMW sucks with their BT troubles.
Yes BMW is not giving their clients good BT functionality.
I have a 2014 VW with a lot of BT functions, in every aspect our phones are more usable hooked up by BT to the VW than to the BMW. I have given up upgrading the BMW software because of all the poor results and reports, by that. The connectvity of the F10 is the biggest nonsolvable disappointing feature of the car.
But if you just do not use it, you do not really miss it, hhmm, that is to say, if you have driven the VW and experienced how it might be working....

Last edited by Sophisto; 03-14-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
I have just installed the update, but nothing has changed in what is and what is not functional in my 2013 528xi's iDrive connection with my 2 phones I always have on me: the iPhone 5 (in the cradle, playing music via USB and serving as the No 1 phone via BT), plus the Galaxy S2 (only used as a phone overt BT).

Still no emails displayed on the central display, only SMS. Oh, and BTW: with a configuration described above, is the NBT supposed to display text/email from both phones, or just the primary one?

Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Update from me:

SIRI works better for me with new software update. I'm sending more text messages through SIRI with less trouble than before. All incoming text messages may be seen through "Office".

LCI 528 and iPhone 5S
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks, but you have an LCI.

Who can answer my question: with 2 phones setup (primary iPhone in the cradle/USB and BT, secondary Android over BT), is the car supposed to display text/email from both phones, or just the primary one?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
NBT = Yes
CIC = No

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Thanks, but you have an LCI.

Who can answer my question: with 2 phones setup (primary iPhone in the cradle/USB and BT, secondary Android over BT), is the car supposed to display text/email from both phones, or just the primary one?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks. I do have NBT, but how it handles my two phones is a complete mystery to me - and this newest update didn't change it.

For instance: when I look up for a contact in my car directory and call it, I was sure it would use the primary phone until later on - looking at the other's list of connections - I found out NBT made the connection using the secondary phone. Also, I'm only getting text from my iPhone (primary), but not from the Android phone (secondary). Email also can be displayed from the primary phone only, provided I remember to kill the Mail app on it each time I start a trip...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambrose View Post
I have a LCI with NBT/Nav.

As with the previous version, I can get to Siri with the long press of the voice command button. I can get texts consistently, which is the same. I still get mixed results with emails, but mostly don't see them with the car.
To get emails, exit the email app on your phone (and to be certain, lock your phone).

To exit, double-click home button, swipe email app away (iOS 7) or hold and exit app (iOS 6 or prior).

BMW CCA # 493835
Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
To get emails, exit the email app on your phone (and to be certain, lock your phone).

To exit, double-click home button, swipe email app away (iOS 7) or hold and exit app (iOS 6 or prior).
This is just the sort of limitation that will prevent the car/phone interface from ever being satisfactory. When the phone is in the car, the car needs to *be* the phone. Any requirement to plug something in or configure the phone software each time you get in the car or get out again makes it impractical. And of course it has to work for your choice of phone and phone OS. They've got a long way to go.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by joder View Post
When you say this you still have to go to messages on iDrive. It isn't like a message box pops up on the screen, correct?

That's how it works for me. No pop-up. Have to go to "messages" on iDrive. To see incoming emails, you need to ensure that your bluetooth setting on your iphone paired with the car (the little "i" that shows up next to your active bluetooth connection) has notifications "on" and then you have to turn on notifications for any email account you want to see in iDrive's messages.

I have a number of email accounts but only one with notifications enabled. That's the only one that shows up in iDrive. Works very well. You get the little mail icon on the main idrive screen to notify you that a text or email was received.

Of course, you could just buy a Kenu vent mount and have your phone mounted to the middle vents and your iphone is always at the ready. The Kenu works extremely (and surprisingly) well!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app