Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Sonicendeavor:

Where are your settings these days?

Additionally, I have the Balance to the Driver's side +1 to +2.

I Have tried the OP's settings, but 5KHz and 10KHz suggested settings are a bit too extreme to my liking. Also, I like the Bass cranked up a bit: +2 to +3.
My settings are still the same, just very minimal eq. Anything more produces too much coloration for my taste.
One aspect that is not often mentioned is the type and quality of the source material.
If you want to hear the system shine, take a listen to the dts 5.1 mix of "Gaslighting Abbie" off Steely Dan's Two Against Nature - tight bass, great drums, all around fantastic sounding track on the HK system. Off the top of my head, dts mixes of Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth, Beck's Sea Change, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, and the stereo mix of Alison Krauss's Paper Airplane all sound very good as well.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City
Old 03-14-2014, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
Thanks for the settings - agree the H/K system (premium audio iin the US) is pretty darn decent, especially for the price. I had Burmester in my panamera - and ultimately it was louder - no EQ, very VERY muddy at low volumes. The only way to make the burmester sound good was at relatively high volume.

The H/K does seem to take a bit of volume to get things going - but once there is very crisp. I've been playing around with my EQ settings and look forward to trying these when I get home tonight.
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
My reference to flat concerns the eq settings, not a measurement of frequency response in the vehicle. Over boosting or cutting using limited band graphic equalizers produces unacceptable peaks and valleys in the frequency response which artificially colors the music and sounds far worse than no eq at all. As you stated, everyone has their own tastes, and of course levels of higher frequency hearing damage.
My point is that if it sounds good to you then that's great. Who is to say when something is 'over colored'. That is entirely personal preference. Most modern music (pick your genre: Rock, Pop, Rap, R&B, Fusion Jazz) is very processed (or 'colored') at the production stage anyway. So these kinds of discussions don't add up to me. Music is generally mixed through high end studio monitors in an acoustically treated environment to ensure a flat listening environment for the engineer. This allows the right amount of 'color' to be added to the different elements with a good reference. It is unlikely however to translate accurately in a car, although it still may sound OK or even good.

Boosting a particular frequency of a given playback system may well improve overall tone and absolutely does if the listener finds it more pleasing. This can be for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is unlikely the eventual listening environment will be flat as in the case of the original production. Cars, particularly those with leather seats have many reflective surfaces that don't help with acoustic accuracy. Secondly some people have a preference for a particular sound (heavy bass etc) so like to emphasise that. If you prefer the sound of your system flat then that is fine, but that doesn't mean it will sound 'far worse' to everyone.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a graphic equalizer in concept. the one your stereo has may not be so good (although if it is the same as the one I have - I think its OK). In general there is nothing wrong with EQ if the listener enjoys the result that is produced. Graphic equalizers are actually a tool of choice in high end PA installs as a way of dealing with acoustical problems. In the recording studio there are some staple GEQ's that are considered industry standards for some tasks.

Regarding 'unacceptable peaks and valleys', my car has plenty of them when flat, but a few less when EQ'd.

Quote:
Right or wrong is purely subjective but given my background as a musician and working in studios, I have little tolerance for the sound generated by low quality graphic equalization.
What is your definition of low quality? I find the GEQ in my F10 fairly good as car stereo EQ goes.

If you like it use it, if you don't then don't!
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
My settings are still the same, just very minimal eq. Anything more produces too much coloration for my taste.
One aspect that is not often mentioned is the type and quality of the source material.
If you want to hear the system shine, take a listen to the dts 5.1 mix of "Gaslighting Abbie" off Steely Dan's Two Against Nature - tight bass, great drums, all around fantastic sounding track on the HK system. Off the top of my head, dts mixes of Lyle Lovett's Joshua Judges Ruth, Beck's Sea Change, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, and the stereo mix of Alison Krauss's Paper Airplane all sound very good as well.
LOL. Good point: Garbage in, garbage out. I may have a related posting discussion with you in another thread. We can store up to 400 CD's of music on the LCI's hard drive, but the number would be much smaller if the source material was a higher quality.

My 40 year old recordings of Live Grateful Dead CD's will never have outstanding sound even in a High Fidelity at home listening room.

I do find that all my Steely Dan CD's have some of the best source material in my fairly large collection of CDs. Which leads me to finish this post with the following:

Why has Steely Dan sold 40 million records/CDs?
Answer: Because the people who listen to Steely Dan music don't know how, or choose not to steal it off the internet.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive M-Sport
These are GREAT settings! Thank you!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
My point is that if it sounds good to you then that's great. Who is to say when something is 'over colored'. That is entirely personal preference. Most modern music (pick your genre: Rock, Pop, Rap, R&B, Fusion Jazz) is very processed (or 'colored') at the production stage anyway. So these kinds of discussions don't add up to me. Music is generally mixed through high end studio monitors in an acoustically treated environment to ensure a flat listening environment for the engineer. This allows the right amount of 'color' to be added to the different elements with a good reference. It is unlikely however to translate accurately in a car, although it still may sound OK or even good.

Boosting a particular frequency of a given playback system may well improve overall tone and absolutely does if the listener finds it more pleasing. This can be for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is unlikely the eventual listening environment will be flat as in the case of the original production. Cars, particularly those with leather seats have many reflective surfaces that don't help with acoustic accuracy. Secondly some people have a preference for a particular sound (heavy bass etc) so like to emphasise that. If you prefer the sound of your system flat then that is fine, but that doesn't mean it will sound 'far worse' to everyone.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a graphic equalizer in concept. the one your stereo has may not be so good (although if it is the same as the one I have - I think its OK). In general there is nothing wrong with EQ if the listener enjoys the result that is produced. Graphic equalizers are actually a tool of choice in high end PA installs as a way of dealing with acoustical problems. In the recording studio there are some staple GEQ's that are considered industry standards for some tasks.

Regarding 'unacceptable peaks and valleys', my car has plenty of them when flat, but a few less when EQ'd.

What is your definition of low quality? I find the GEQ in my F10 fairly good as car stereo EQ goes.

If you like it use it, if you don't then don't!
I just saw this and well......
Quote:
Music is generally mixed through high end studio monitors in an acoustically treated environment to ensure a flat listening environment for the engineer. This allows the right amount of 'color' to be added to the different elements with a good reference
Minor equalizing in the studio using high end parametric equalizers applied to individual instruments and voices cannot in any way be compared to a relatively crude OEM graphic equalizer that acts indiscriminately on every instrument and voice.

Quote:
Impossible . That's saying that the fixed frequencies of the 7 band graphic EQ align perfectly with the acoustic imperfections in the car and can properly compensate for them. Sorry, but any large boosts are absolutely creating far more inaccurate sound reproduction. Yes, some may like highly boosted treble, and to each their own, but to say that the HK engineers deigned a system that's so inaccurate that it needs this much additional EQ to be accurate is just not correct.
Again, to each their own, but subjective needs should not be confused with accuracy.
Coded myself: Turn off power when opening door, ASS off by default, Enable turn signals in HUD, DVD in Motion, Transfer telephone ringtone to car, Enable tire pressure and temperature display in iDrive. Disable iDrive legal disclaimer, Disable Rear/Side camera disclaimers.
20/80 Highway/City