Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
What's the real deal on springs

Hi All -

I'm still putting together my list of must have mods on my 550. In this thread, I'd like to hear about empirical evidence for lowering springs. I have the m-sport on my 550 x-drive but without the adjustable shocks. Frankly, I think the car rides and handles pretty darn well. Since the M-sport on the x-drive does not include the upgraded springs/sways AND I'd like a little lower ride height, I'm considering springs.

I see basically three choices - H&R, ACS and Dinan - each offers a different drop with the Dinan being the least and I think H&R the most. I don't want the car slammed - have to deal with speed bumps. And the Mrs. will not tolerate race car stiff.

That being said - forget the look for a minute. Does anyone have any actual data on any of these springs vs. stock? Either lap times, slalom speed or skidpad figures? I'd like to know for certain if I go with a new spring that it will improve grip and as a side benefit decrease the gap.

Anyone have real hard data on this?

Also trying to make a decision on the BMS tune vs. Dianan software. Benefit of dinan - warranty. Benefit of BMS -easy to install (and way lower cost). Thoughts?
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi, Z4MR
No hard data but the consensus seems to be most people are happy with ACS and the H&R are too low. I have ACS on my 550xi with EDC. I am happy with the ride but would probably go with Dinan if I did it again for a few reasons:

1) ACS drop/suspension travel is a bit much for some of the pothole strewn roads around Boston. Not a problem if you live in a climate without snow/freezing
2) I have Dinan shockware and am sure Dinan tunes the shocks to match THEIR springs
3) Dinan costs less and are easier to purchase

Negative against the Dinan is if you have a "Dinan certified" shop do the install, there are minimum labor rates involved and the price escalates quickly.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
No hard data but the consensus seems to be most people are happy with ACS and the H&R are too low. I have ACS on my 550xi with EDC. I am happy with the ride but would probably go with Dinan if I did it again for a few reasons:

1) ACS drop/suspension travel is a bit much for some of the pothole strewn roads around Boston. Not a problem if you live in a climate without snow/freezing
2) I have Dinan shockware and am sure Dinan tunes the shocks to match THEIR springs
3) Dinan costs less and are easier to purchase

Negative against the Dinan is if you have a "Dinan certified" shop do the install, there are minimum labor rates involved and the price escalates quickly.
Interesting - not much in the data department on this topic.

Do you have any before/after photos you can share? We definitely have our share of potholes here - but not the frost heaves you guys get in New England. How much drop did you get out of the ACS? Looks like the dinan springs are only .5 drop??? That's a lot of coin for not a lot of drop.
1998 Tiara 3500 Open (Cummins Diesels)

Previous Rides:
2010 Porsche Panamera 4S
2008 VW Passat
2007 Benz C class Sport
2006 Dodge Ram 2500
2001 Z06
1999 Dodge Ram
1996 Corvette rag top
1998 Lexus GS300
etc...