Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535i xDrive
Just Bought My First BMW; Any Recommendations?

First-time visitor and BMW owner. I just purchased a BMW 535i xDrive; Imperial Blue Metallic with Venetian Beige leather interior; Cold Weather package; Driver Assistance package; and Premium package.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions, recommendations as far as utilizing features of the car, anything to do with the infotainment display, navigation tips, synching with my phone via bluetooth, etc.? The salesman did a good job, but it was a lot to take in during a quick sitting.

I'll learn and enjoy and customize more as I get accustomed to the car, but figured I'd post here in case there are any obvious things I should be doing, changing, adjusting that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Welcome to the forum! Now that you own a BMW, you have to go cut someone off and then go double park. It's a rite of passage (;

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Congrats on the car, enjoy it!

And do not forget to RTFM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
I took me a while to learn all the features of the car. It takes time because it is not as intuitive as other cars that I had. For starters carefully ready the owner's manual. Supplement it with the video's posted on the BMW web site owner's portal
Old 03-14-2014, 08:57 AM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 550i M Sport
Congrats and welcome! I will look out for you around town. As you know beware of the potholes downtown. Maybe we'll cross pathes one day... again, Welcome to the BMW Cult!

2014 535XI M Sport(wife) - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK
Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: '14 528xi, 07 M6
As silberma1 said, read the manual from cover to cover than do it again a few times to get all you can out of all of your features.

And post some pictures, your car sounds like an incredibly beautiful color combo!!

Good luck!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
+3 on RTFM
+1 on cutting people off and acting like general a-hole. First, you drive a BMW. Many, many people spent a lot of time and effort to give us reputation we have today. Can't just throw away all of that and it needs necessary upkeep. Second, you bought a blue BMW - there's even more at stake there.
+100 on contemplating a test drive of somebody's F10 with regular tires. Oh, wait, I'm actually the first person saying this? Can't believe how soft this crowd became

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Mr. Innocent

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
+3 on RTFM
+1 on cutting people off and acting like general a-hole. First, you drive a BMW. Many, many people spent a lot of time and effort to give us reputation we have today. Can't just throw away all of that and it needs necessary upkeep. Second, you bought a blue BMW - there's even more at stake there.
+100 on contemplating a test drive of somebody's F10 with regular tires. Oh, wait, I'm actually the first person saying this? Can't believe how soft this crowd became

LOL, what Mark said! ^^ And by "Test drive somebody's F10 with regular tires", he means DITCH THE RUNFLATS!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
With the sport package and the setting in comfort + the softer suspension will compensate for the RFT so it is not as much as an issue. I intend to keep my RFT until it is time to replace them and then go with the non RFT
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
+3 on RTFM

Yes, get some Michelin SSP's ASAP!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutup25 View Post
First-time visitor and BMW owner. I just purchased a BMW 535i xDrive; Imperial Blue Metallic with Venetian Beige leather interior; Cold Weather package; Driver Assistance package; and Premium package.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions, recommendations as far as utilizing features of the car, anything to do with the infotainment display, navigation tips, synching with my phone via bluetooth, etc.? The salesman did a good job, but it was a lot to take in during a quick sitting.

I'll learn and enjoy and customize more as I get accustomed to the car, but figured I'd post here in case there are any obvious things I should be doing, changing, adjusting that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!
I had an '09 535ix and now drive a '13 528ix, both similarly equipped to yours. I agree it's a lot of information to take in. Frankly, some of it you may never use or re-discover later. As to the entertainment system and iDrive, I don't know what you are used to driving, but German engineers think differently.

Two specific suggestions:

1. Sign up for the owners area of the BMW website and it will list quite a few educational videos specific to your car and it's features. Watch those ... It's worth it. Some of them are not perfectly up to date but they are 95% correct at worse.

2. Commit to carefully reading the manual as to the features that interest you.

That probably sounds exactly like what the sales rep told you, but that's what I did.

And drive politely. Act like it's your 10th BMW, not your first!

And good luck and welcome to the fun!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Here are some survival and sanity tips I've learned over the years, mostly from the bad experiences of others:

Don't let the dealer wash the car. The guy washing it makes $12/hour and doesn't care about your car, since he'll never own one. Learn how to wash and wax it yourself without scratching the clear coat. Make three signs "PLEASE DO NOT WASH THIS CAR. THANK YOU." Hang one from the rear view mirror, tape the other two to the rear-side windows when the car's in for service.

Only get tires removed or installed by somebody with a lever-less tire machine that doesn't touch the outside of the rims.

Park in end parking spots, close to the side curb, but don't scrape the wheels. This diminishes the chances of door dings and bumper doinks. The "drone view" side & top view cameras help with this.

Get alignments at BMW dealerships. They have a special fixture that attaches to the wheels with those five holes you can't figure out the reason for.

Avoid parking the car near places:
a. Where male children between 10 and 30 congregate (peak testosterone years).
b. Where alcohol is served by itself.
c. Places where have-nots congregate (Motel 6, jail/courthouse complex, public schools and colleges, oval race tracks, fast food restaurants, Walmart, apartment complexes, etc).
d. Places where tourists congregate. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" also applies to car vandalism, not just adultery, fornication, and sodomy. People act differently when they're away from home.

Armor-All the plastic between the hood and windshield regularly.

Don't forget to wax the metal parts of your windshield wiper arms and your wheels (wheels with separate pad and can of paste wax if applicable, so you don't get brake pad dust ground into your body paint).

Put a towel over the leather steering wheel when parking the car in sunlight for any period of time. It wouldn't hurt to put one over the seat bottoms (at a minimum). Leather doesn't like sunlight. Damage is sort of like boiling a frog starting with cold water... so gradual you don't see it coming.

Now on a positive note, enjoy the car.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535i xDrive
Hey guys, just saw all the responses. Really appreciate the advice. I've gone through the manual a half-dozen times, and love being able to access it and other info straight from the iDrive.

I'm gonna take a look at the videos on the BMW site here shortly, for sure.

I was about to ask about all the hating on the RFTs...but I think I'll spare you guys and just search the forum, as I'm sure there are many threads about them already. I figured I'd just use them until I needed to replace, and then go with non-RFTs and get high-performance ones at that time.

Great tips on caring for the exterior of the car itself too. Will follow those to a T.

And fortunately, I've been driving like a colossal prick for years so it'll be a smooth transition to being a BMW owner.

I'll get some pictures up shortly. I've actually been having a recurring issue with some strange noise the car makes when the A/C is on; hopefully this is just the unit working the kinks out on a brand new car, but it's the one thing that's really bugging me at this point. Other than that, loving the drive.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
You need to replace the word "car" in your vocabulary with "BMW."

No longer should you say, "Honey, let's take the car. It's too far to walk." Instead, "Honey, let's take the BMW. It's too far to walk."

Or to a valet, "Would you mind pulling my BMW around?"

You can also use "bimmer" instead of "BMW" if you want to sound more street.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Mr. Innocent

You will need to attach this to the rear of your Bimmer, to add HP and gain respect!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Very good and funny stuff here. Also some very good advice, though some will offer opposing advice. People here are Bimmerfest are awesome and I've learned a great deal from many of them.

I'll be the contrarian here: I like my RFT's and will keep them until they wear out- AND may buy a new set. I will say that I'm also new to the BMW brand and the 2 Bimmers I have drive so much better than all the other Japanese cars I've ever owned. People who post here generally don't represent "average" BMW owners. Folks here tend to be enthusiasts. If they lived in Germany not only would many not have their local BMW dealer wash their car, some would drive to a natural spring and use the water there because the water from their home hose is too "hard" or has fluoride or something.

Speaking of washing your new car: I used to drive by my local BMW dealer on the way to the car wash in my Japanese cars. Now, I have a shorter drive and my local BMW dealer washes my cars for "free"- as often as I want, 6 days a week. Though I rarely show up on a Saturday for just a car wash since they tend to be busier. My sales guy suggested I tip the service guy a $1- I always give him $2. After a year, everyone in the service area knows me, knows I'm a tipper and I'm NEVER there more than 15 minutes. No scratches and certainly no dings. Some swirl marks, but a good waxing will take those out. I hate a dirty car and don't have time to wash it regularly.

I know you know many of the comments from other 'festers are tongue in cheek.

When in the NYC area you can use the letters BMW to remember the order of three of the bridges from south to north: Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg.

Really good stuff here by "autoputzer":

Park in end parking spots, close to the side curb, but don't scrape the wheels. This diminishes the chances of door dings and bumper doinks. The "drone view" side & top view cameras help with this.

Get alignments at BMW dealerships. They have a special fixture that attaches to the wheels with those five holes you can't figure out the reason for.

Avoid parking the car near places:
a. Where male children between 10 and 30 congregate (peak testosterone years).
b. Where alcohol is served by itself.
c. Places where have-nots congregate (Motel 6, jail/courthouse complex, public schools and colleges, oval race tracks, fast food restaurants, Walmart, apartment complexes, etc).
d. Places where tourists congregate. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" also applies to car vandalism, not just adultery, fornication, and sodomy. People act differently when they're away from home.

Armor-All the plastic between the hood and windshield regularly.

Don't forget to wax the metal parts of your windshield wiper arms and your wheels (wheels with separate pad and can of paste wax if applicable, so you don't get brake pad dust ground into your body paint).

I'd add: parking next to a handicap spot is a great slot. Since we all agree we're A-holes anyway, I'll position the car as far as possible from the the other parking slot next to me and have my tires on the handicap line or even over into it slightly.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 03-20-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Mr. Innocent

I'll never understand how someone with a handicap spot can sometimes park over MY line!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
I'll never understand how someone with a handicap spot can sometimes park over MY line!

Especially when there's 4 unused handicap spots next to them.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
The first things you should do after buying a BMW are (1) make sure you have buyer's remorse for some option you ordered that you think is silly; (2) have buyer's remorse for not getting an option you should have; (3) have buyer's remorse about your exterior color; (4) have buyer's remorse about your interior color; (5) have buyer's remorse about your wheels; (6) have buyer's remorse about your tires; (7) start plotting out what you are buying when your lease expires or it is simply time. Don't even think about just enjoying the car; that is forbidden.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Mr. Innocent

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
The first things you should do after buying a BMW are (1) make sure you have buyer's remorse for some option you ordered that you think is silly; (2) have buyer's remorse for not getting an option you should have; (3) have buyer's remorse about your exterior color; (4) have buyer's remorse about your interior color; (5) have buyer's remorse about your wheels; (6) have buyer's remorse about your tires; (7) start plotting out what you are buying when your lease expires or it is simply time. Don't even think about just enjoying the car; that is forbidden.
Reading the comments on an enthusiast forum would lead one to believe this!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
You sound a wise man, never got married I presume?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
You sound a wise man, never got married I presume?
I am married for 47 years to the same woman. Her attitude about my toys I has always been: (1) "enjoy. You've earned it" and (2) "do not settle for second best; get exactly what you want."
She's the wise one. I'm the lucky one.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, plus others.

Last edited by weinschela; 03-20-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I am married for 47 years to the same woman. Her attitude about my toys I has always been: (1) "enjoy. You've earned it" and (2) "do not settle for second best; get exactly what you want."
She's the wise one. I'm the lucky one.
Touché.