Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0i
ATF Change at 114k Miles?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum... actually forums in general lol. I recently bought a Z4 and I gotta say, I love it!!! I drove a 2001 v6 Camaro for the last 7 years so this is a really nice step up for me

I want to do all I can to keep this car in excellent condition. But unfortunately, it's already got 114k miles on it. I've been doing a lot or research and I've been thinking about changing the ATF and the diff fluid on it and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on whether this is a good idea or not, since most of the posts I've read are people doing them on cars with 50k or so miles... Would changing the ATF now at 114k be a bad idea? Any advice is appreciated, whether about this or any other fluids/components I should change on my car. Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 PM

After doing some more research, I came across this link... sounds logical/makes sense to me... any opinions appreciated

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/auto...hs-busted.html
Old 03-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Good advice in that article. Even when companies like Mercedes claim the fluid is good for the life of the car, the experts say it should be changed.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM

I agree! I want to keep my Z4 in as perfect a condition I can. I read up on all the DIYs on a few forums and it's bee really helpful.

When I first bought the car, all of the underbody plastics were pretty much gone. I've replaced all of them, the ambient temp sensor, and now I'm going to do some maintenance (ATF drain+fill, rear diff, oil change, etc).

I read a write up on how to convert my 3.0i to si and plan on doing that in the near future. It seems to me that it's basically just intake manifold swap and a tune. I think I'll also look into headers but I haven't done enough research to know if there's anything out there that can give a decent HP boost.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM

If you're working on things I would suggest you read the postings on the drain tubes under the convert. top. Neglecting to do that could result in a very pricey bill to replace the motor. On the conversion....not familiar with what's needed, but I can tell you from experience in "souping-up" V'8's that an increase in HP will result in much more heat. Maybe Z4 has adequate cooling to handle the increase, but something to check into.
As far as headers........before you spring for that modification I would suggestt that you find people who have added hearders AND have dyno print out to show the HP increase and where int he RPM range the increase occurs. In most applications I've seen, there is no increase with headers until you get into the last 10 or 15% of the RPM range. So, if that's the case wtih a Z4 and you don't plan to wind it out to 6,000 rpm's the headers might be a waste. They end up being sometime to show to people for bragging rights, but have little practical value. And if I had a car with 114K mles I'm not sure I'd be wanting to wind it out to 6,000-7,000 rpms. Just things from my personal experience. Mark
Old 03-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Haha, funny that you mention that, I just read it last night and was planning on doing that as soon as I get home from work today. Thanks for the info!

And thanks for the header advice, it's just a thought right now, but I will definitely look into the things you said if I plan on going along with it.

Funny story about the top, when I first bought it, the convertible top didn't work at all. And the person I bought it from was under the impression that it didn't work either. Well, one day I was picking up some packages from FedEx (parts I ordered) and I was trying to fit them in the trunk, but no luck. So I called my wife and asked her to meet me so I could put the stuff in her car. Well I was looking around the trunk and I noticed the emergency disengage tab for the roof was slightly (about 1/4") hanging out. Well I tugged on it a little and then twisted it and pushed it back in place. Got back in my car, just waiting for wife to show up and then I thought, just for the hell of it, I'd give the top a try and lo and behold... IT WORKED!!!! I was so ecstatic at that point I was seriously considering driving it home with the top down (in 10 degree weather) LOOOL but fortunately, I was 40 and sunny just a couple days later.

So yea, figuring that out just made my whole week.

But yes, I am definitely going to take care of those drain tubes TODAY! Don't want to spend a weekend and $500 if I don't have to!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 AM

Good story on the top issue.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 AM

Oh and on the winding out to 6k rpms... I mean I don't drive it hard all the time, but sometimes you just gotta open it up!!! lool
Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaneifK View Post
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum... actually forums in general lol. I recently bought a Z4 and I gotta say, I love it!!! I drove a 2001 v6 Camaro for the last 7 years so this is a really nice step up for me

I want to do all I can to keep this car in excellent condition. But unfortunately, it's already got 114k miles on it. I've been doing a lot or research and I've been thinking about changing the ATF and the diff fluid on it and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on whether this is a good idea or not, since most of the posts I've read are people doing them on cars with 50k or so miles... Would changing the ATF now at 114k be a bad idea? Any advice is appreciated, whether about this or any other fluids/components I should change on my car. Thank you!
I changed mine just because and i will every 35k as long as i keep my e85. there's no harm in it. It's not that hard. just do yourself a favor and wear a respirator when you change the diff fluid. That stuff will put a hurting on you something fierce (disorientation/sick stomach...etc) Nobody warned me.

take your time under there and be careful with the clips that mount the cover plate infron of the diff.

see here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723640

Last edited by Cvaria; 03-13-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Quote:
Haha, funny that you mention that, I just read it last night and was planning on doing that as soon as I get home from work today. Thanks for the info!

And thanks for the header advice, it's just a thought right now, but I will definitely look into the things you said if I plan on going along with it.

Funny story about the top, when I first bought it, the convertible top didn't work at all. And the person I bought it from was under the impression that it didn't work either. Well, one day I was picking up some packages from FedEx (parts I ordered) and I was trying to fit them in the trunk, but no luck. So I called my wife and asked her to meet me so I could put the stuff in her car. Well I was looking around the trunk and I noticed the emergency disengage tab for the roof was slightly (about 1/4") hanging out. Well I tugged on it a little and then twisted it and pushed it back in place. Got back in my car, just waiting for wife to show up and then I thought, just for the hell of it, I'd give the top a try and lo and behold... IT WORKED!!!! I was so ecstatic at that point I was seriously considering driving it home with the top down (in 10 degree weather) LOOOL but fortunately, I was 40 and sunny just a couple days later.

So yea, figuring that out just made my whole week.

But yes, I am definitely going to take care of those drain tubes TODAY! Don't want to spend a weekend and $500 if I don't have to!
put some white lithium on the moving parts of the top and keep it clean.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
I changed mine just because and i will every 35k as long as i keep my e85. there's no harm in it. It's not that hard. just do yourself a favor and wear a respirator when you change the diff fluid. That stuff will put a hurting on you something fierce (disorientation/sick stomach...etc) Nobody warned me.

take your time under there and be careful with the clips that mount the cover plate infron of the diff.

see here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=723640

Thank you Cvaria!!! I will definitely do that now... you just saved me a massive headache!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 06 z4 si/ 15 335I/ FX4
I just did my rear diff. 94000 on it. I replace the drain plug with a magnetic one from bavauto. I will re-drain it again, in a 1000 miles, to see what accumulates on the magnet..
Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 05 Z4 3.0, 01 530
YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DRINK THE OLD DIFF FLUID! I have no issues, but I discard mine.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR, 03 Z4 3.0i
ATF Change at 114k Miles?

Yes to changing the fluids.

What year is your Z4? Depending on the year, there are many things you can do to see an increase in power. The M54 (2003-2005) has more ultimate potential than the N52 (2006-2008), although the latter is better out of the box. I've done quite a few mods and last got 285 whp (335-340 bhp) out of my 3.0i:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395196021.873737.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	428916

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i

Last edited by pokeybritches; 03-18-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 AM

285whp?! niiiice! I've got the N52 (it's an '07) but I heard that an intake manifold swap with an si, and a tune could possibly get me to 275whp? We'll see i guess
Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 PM

So, I drained the transmission, filled it up until fluid started seeping out of the inlet, and then had my wife start the car and go through all the gears, while I pumped more ATF fluid into the tranny. It started to dribble out, but when she put the car in park it started to pour out even faster. So I told her to leave it in drive with her foot on the brake... It slowed down to a dribble. I waited until the car reached almost idle temperature, then i QUICKLY pulled out the tube and replaced the plug so I wouldn't lose even more fluid. After all this, I ended up putting in about 1-2 more liters of ATF than I had lost. So I guess my question to you guys is...

Did I do it right? LOL
Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR, 03 Z4 3.0i
Quote:
285whp?! niiiice! I've got the N52 (it's an '07) but I heard that an intake manifold swap with an si, and a tune could possibly get me to 275whp? We'll see i guess
275 whp is very optimistic. With the mods you listed (3.0si intake and aftermarket tune), you're probably looking at something like 210 whp. Still would make for a fun car!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM

Yes, you're right. Sorry, I meant BHP, yes WHP would end up being something like 210-220.