Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530XI
BMW OEM replacement parts over After Market parts? Are they comparable???

Hello everyone,

I apologize if I am off topic here..but I need some advice.

I recently got into an accident and need to fix my 2006 BMW 530xi front end..bumper, fender, grill, hood and possibly quarter panel...my insurance wants to fix it with after market replacement parts and obviously I don't want that. I want OEM parts for my bimmer.

My question to you guys is: are after market parts any good?? Are they worth installing them? Should I fight my insurance tooth and nail to get OEM parts??

I want my baby fixed right and to look and perform right as well. Body shop is telling me after market parts are ok...but I am not sure if I can trust them..

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2014, 01:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
I would never put aftermarket body parts on my car. You may have an issue with your insurance company not wanting to pay and then you can fight them or pay extra. Check your policy first. Also, fight hard for the most amount of money and then find a good Indy shop. Sometimes the shops in cahoots with the insurance companies may not have the best quality. Sorry to hear of your accident.hope no one was hurt.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using BimmerApp mobile app
1995 525xit (gone)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: e38
Ask at least for used oem. Unfortunately on an 8 year old car....well....usually they tend to go really cheap.

Non oem parts usually have fitment issues. But ask the insurance if they will replace the part if it does not fit right. If thet warranty that stuff for life, let them buy after market body parts. Keep bitching and have them replace it and one day they will give in and get factory parts. Oem for anything electronic tho is usually a big deal.. .do not allow any non oem electric items.

Your policy states they can use any part they want unless you paid for an oem only parts rider.

Last edited by sigtwenty; 03-22-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:52 AM

Thanks for your advice. I will fight with them for OEM parts.

I hit a deer and unfortunately the deer got hurt. No one in the car did.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 06:56 AM

My insurance says that if the appraiser states that OEM parts need to be used they the insurance will pay for them as long as they are available. Which my body shop says they are.

I am in for a fight on Monday with the appraiser

Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
There are some countries in Europe with pedestrian safety laws. Some cars sold have explosive hood hinges that deploy and pops the back edge of hood up a few inches and an airbag inflates over a portion of windshield. I think if you hit a deer with one of those the airbag related repairs would be more than the deer impact damage in many cases.

BMWs have longer hoods and I doubt any of them have to have the hood articulation and airbag. Engine to hood distance has to be greater and it has changed the styling of some new cars in order to get the crush zone distance to engine great enough.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:37 AM

I don't think my hood is one of those.. thanks for your help and info.