Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 AM
Bimmerless

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
M Coupe tires for street/autocross

When I auto crossed my new Z4M, I felt like the Michelin PSS tires were not very grippy. This could be because they're nearing the end of their life, or maybe they simply aren't as grippy as the latest street ax tires. I'm wondering if one of the go to autocross street tires might make a better choice. I love the Bridgestone RE-11 on my Mini. Thinking of this or the Dunlop ZII. I know these tires are all over the cars you see at AX events on the Miatas and STIs, but not sure if they're a good choice for something like the Z4M

Any thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 03-19-2014, 07:23 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
I'm running the Dunlop ZIIs for auto cross and I'm very pleased with them. I'm seeing a lot of people switch to them too. The BF Goodrich G-Force Rivals were supposed to be the new "must have" tire but some the people I know that have switched to them haven't had a lot of positives to say. This might be a bit of a red herring though, because some of them are switching from R-comps due to the SCCA rule changes.
I was running Hankook RS3s on my E36 and I was happy with them. Only negative is they need some heat before they really grip.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Bimmerless

Thanks for the reply. Do you daily drive them? I spoke with Alex at TireRack, and he confirmed that the PSS are going to be a lot less grippy than the RE11s, but will wear longer. It turns out the only option for my 19" wheels are the RE11s. No complaints there.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I have Michelin PSS's and find them grippy enough for sport driving, but I would not go that an expensive a tire for track, I like the Cont. DW's, very good grip and much more reasonably priced.

Regards

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Bimmerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I have Michelin PSS's and find them grippy enough for sport driving, but I would not go that an expensive a tire for track, I like the Cont. DW's, very good grip and much more reasonably priced.

Regards
I do like driving the same tires for AX & street, because the skills you learn racing transfer directly to street driving. Not that I'm driving at AX speeds on the street, but I like to know how the car is going to behave in an emergency evasion maneuver. You could be in trouble if your reflexes were based on a different tire in an at the limit situation.

After spending more time with the PSS's, I've gotta say they are downright greasy. So easy to break loose even with mild throttle out of corners, it's making me a bit nervous. I wonder if they've just seen too many heat cycles and have lost their oomph. The rears are pretty worn on the inside. Fronts still have a lot of tread depth. I'm pretty close just putting RE11's on. They are a lot less expensive than the PSS's and offer an amazing amount of grip - nearly impossible to break loose in my Mini at sane street speeds - there are a few sweeping on-ramps where I'm able to gradually approach the limits of traction. RE11 let go in a predictable, gradual way with good audio feedback, verses the PSS's which seem let go immediately with no warning. I realize this is considered the benchmark for this sort of tire, but man, I'm just not feeling the love - M Coupe feels so planted & balanced in the corners, but these tires are just not doing it justice.

Last edited by funkle; 03-22-2014 at 11:26 AM.