Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
Streaming Music in a BMW

I will try to keep this short---but I think giving a little history is important. I have a 2007 BMW Z4 that has Bluetooth for the phone, but could not Stream Music.

I know there ARE fixes out there... but thought I'd describe what I was "Going to TRY " and what I ended up doing. So if someone else stumbles across this post--- it will be helpful.

I have an After market Pioneer radio in my truck---- that is amazing... Hands Free Calling, Siri Button, Streams Music. $120. I wanted to install one in my Z4. Found everything I THOUGHT I needed. Wiring Harness... Trim Pieces. Crutchfield had a radio they said would work... Before I bought everything, I checked here for some advice....GLAD I did. EVERYONE here jumped in and said--- it can not be done the way Crutchfield said. After 3 calls to them.... They agreed---they were wrong.

BMW Business Radios do not have an AMP--- the AMP is in the trunk. ALL after market radios have AMPs. Also--- BMW uses some non-standard Speakers---Ohms are different than after market radios. The only option would be to get a NEW radio, run new wire to all speakers and replace the speakers. WAY more that I wanted to do and Spend---since everything worked.

A while back I added a USA SPEC-- IPOD adapter to my car. It plugs into where the 6-disk CD changer would be---in the trunk... and you can plug an IPOD into it--in the trunk... and control it reasonably well with the steering wheel controls. It was great. BUT I really wanted to be able to stream Music and Audio Books from my IPHONE. I could not find any reasonable FIX. I have been trying to figure this out for months.... Last week I stumbled across a post about a Streaming Bluetooth adapter that has the IPOD 30-pin socket. AND read you can plug it into the USA SPEC (PA12-BMW) or the DICE IPOD kit and it would allow you to stream Music over BLUE TOOTH. Its only $15 delivered.

I got it today... hooked it up, was able to link it to my Phone.... BUT no music. I called USA SPEC Tech support--- they said it could not be done.... But the guy seemed ignorant, so I figured I'd keep trying. It ends up--- you need to set a few DIP switches on the USA SPEC device that makes it DIRECT MODE ONLY and Everything works Great.

There are $300+ dollar solutions.... but most say it require the Iphone Ver. 5. I do not have a 5. This was a $15 add on to what I already had and it works great. I owe the guy who posted this info on M3forum . net a beer. rbenjami

I hope this info helps people....

Thanks EVERYONE here who saved me from buying a radio that would not work....

Last edited by GaryDZ; 03-20-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
Any time. That is what forums are for. Glad it all worked out.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
I am glad you were persistent and found a very cheap solution. Can you post the name/model number of the adapter so others will know what they need to get?
Old 03-22-2014, 07:32 PM

This is the one I got...

Mpow® Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for Bose Sounddock and 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker.

The only small issue I came across was that if you want to use SIRI over your car audio Mic ... You have to change it on the SIRI screen--- It defaults to SIRI linking to the MPOW Music device.

Once set---it will allow you to use your car mic----but it reverts back when you get out of range. Otherwise... streaming Music works great.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Did you look into the MediaBridge solution? I installed it in my 2005 Z4, and after a few firmware updates, it works quite well.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM

Since I already had the USA SPEC-- IPOD adapter to my car---from a previous "upgrade" this approach was most cost effective and works great---and was as easy as plugging it in.