Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Back in the day, Gramps used to say that all the time as an excuse to drive the crap out of the car.

Grandma would snicker and shrug, and say, "yes John, have a good time"...

Interestingly, on todays' BMW's its true....
Good o'l gramps ,, must of had some good o'l times in that car, blowen all the carbon out. Lol..
Cause I know,, I do lol.. 2nd gear,,, 5,800 rpm's gotta love it , that's some carbon blowing fun .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	429661  

Last edited by H F; 03-22-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobert View Post
I tried the hot engine routine yesterday. I was on a long run and kept the engine above 4K rpm for about ten miles, let it drive normally for a half hour, and then drove for another 10 miles with the engine above 4K rpm. I didn't expect it to do much for my engine given the amount of highway driving I do. The only thing that happened was that a transmission whine started up. Fortunately, it didn't last for long. There was no impact on the vibration. I haven't checked the plugs.

I've ordered an OBDII connector through Amazon and I'll turn my laptop or iphone into a code reader when that arrives. I'll let folk know what I find.
Needs to be able to read BMW codes. BMWhat is a good choice.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Needs to be able to read BMW codes. BMWhat is a good choice.
Quick update: The wireless OBD2 connector finally arrived and I downloaded the trial version of BMWhat. Both worked perfectly first time. BMWhat picked up a few codes but they were all of the 'random noise' variety. There were no ECU codes. That was a relief but doesn't help diagnose the vibration.

I was operating under the assumption that the dirty plugs and vibration were connected given that they started at the same time but it turns out they weren't. Around the same time that I started this thread, I found a thread on dirty plugs where the issue was that the plugs hadn't been torqued fully. With nothing to lose, I pulled the plugs, cleaned them and put them back in, giving them an extra quarter turn. My torque wrench doesn't go low enough to be useful. I pulled one plug at the weekend and it was cleaner than when I reinstalled it. Put it down to basic human error. I've changed plenty of plugs in the past (not in BMWs) and proper torquing has never been as critical.

Now I'm in the same boat as everyone else with the vibration at idle and no other symptoms.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM

What is the torque spec for the plugs ?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
What is the torque spec for the plugs ?
18 ft-lb if I remember correctly
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Generally speaking, once you find a vacuum leak, and still have a problem, look for the other vacuum leak.
A vacuum leak will often not show a code, because enough air is flowing thru the MAF to be in a normal range, and the O2 Sensors adjust to a somewhat normal mixture, but not exactly.
Physically examine each boot carefully, with the small bellows off the elbow near the throttle body being a common culprit. Also remove the cabin air box and find the small vac hose under the back of the manifold.
With the air filter box and MAF Removed, find a rubber hose leading up and fwd from the Dipstick tube. Be sure that is intact.
While there, also remove the DISA valve and inspect that.
Nothing difficult anywhere along here, should take less than an hr to do it all, and gives opportunity to check around

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i
Motor mounts?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmedic View Post
Generally speaking, once you find a vacuum leak, and still have a problem, look for the other vacuum leak.
A vacuum leak will often not show a code, because enough air is flowing thru the MAF to be in a normal range, and the O2 Sensors adjust to a somewhat normal mixture, but not exactly.
Physically examine each boot carefully, with the small bellows off the elbow near the throttle body being a common culprit. Also remove the cabin air box and find the small vac hose under the back of the manifold.
With the air filter box and MAF Removed, find a rubber hose leading up and fwd from the Dipstick tube. Be sure that is intact.
While there, also remove the DISA valve and inspect that.
Nothing difficult anywhere along here, should take less than an hr to do it all, and gives opportunity to check around

Do you have the M54 engine?

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 04-16-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
Yep. Have two of those, a M60 with a Supercharger, an Xterra, an old Z and a flock of motorcycles.
The principals of all are the same. I've been a mechanic on all sorts of machines since High School (1983) and learned along the way to look it over for mechanical issues first. Fix all that then check pressures, then go for electronics.
Just like going to the Dr. They give you a good head to toe exam, then a set of vital signs, then they ask whats hurting.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:12 PM

The kids' soccer season is coming to an end so I've got a little bit of time to continue troubleshooting the rough idle. At the weekend, I decided it was time to try cleaning the idle control valve. I removed all of the air intake assembly up to and including the throttle body. That's when it got weird. I couldn't find an ICV. I removed half of the cabin filter assembly to see if it was hiding back there but couldn't find anything. I noticed that the throttle body is 'drive by wire' so, at least in theory, you could use the ECU to control the idle via the throttle rather than relying on the ICV. Can anyone tell me if this is how BMW does it with the N52?

I looked online for replacement ICVs for this engine and found nothing, which would indicate that it doesn't exist or I'm just bad at looking.

This is the 525i version of the 2007 model, so it has the single stage intake manifold (i.e. no DISA).
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobert View Post
The kids' soccer season is coming to an end so I've got a little bit of time to continue troubleshooting the rough idle. At the weekend, I decided it was time to try cleaning the idle control valve. I removed all of the air intake assembly up to and including the throttle body. That's when it got weird. I couldn't find an ICV. I removed half of the cabin filter assembly to see if it was hiding back there but couldn't find anything. I noticed that the throttle body is 'drive by wire' so, at least in theory, you could use the ECU to control the idle via the throttle rather than relying on the ICV. Can anyone tell me if this is how BMW does it with the N52?

I looked online for replacement ICVs for this engine and found nothing, which would indicate that it doesn't exist or I'm just bad at looking.

This is the 525i version of the 2007 model, so it has the single stage intake manifold (i.e. no DISA).
lol, this ain't a Honda....

Google valvetronic and you'll see how BMW controls the "throttle" on that engine. Def. no ICV.

The throttle body doesn't even do most of the work--say thank you BMW engineering

Last edited by schpenxel; 06-09-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i
Haha you beat me to it.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
lol, this ain't a Honda....

Google valvetronic and you'll see how BMW controls the "throttle" on that engine. Def. no ICV.

The throttle body doesn't even do most of the work--say thank you BMW engineering
Sometimes, I wish it had just a little in common with a Honda :-). The filter on the windshield wiper pump blocked last week and I cleaned it at the weekend. On my wife's Honda or my son's Nissan, it would have taken 5 minutes. I had to remove a wheel and pry back the inner shield to get to the pump. Still, it is a lot more fun to drive than the Honda or Nissan.

Thanks. I learn a little bit every time I look under the hood of this car.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 AM

just thought Id mention that I had a crazy idle every once in a while at start up when it was hot and on cold starts. After changing out my valve cover gaskets it seemed to stop doing this, haven't noticed it happening lately. So its possible that a vacume leak from the valve cover gaskets can cause a rough idle .. Due to loss of vacume
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Set idle with DIS.INPA is only for trouble shooting and will revert back at next start.Classic symptoms of worn intermittent levers or eccentric shaft or both.If you have INPA you can temporarily set you idle valve lift from .3 mm to .8mm.Do this and see if idle improves.If it does you have worn parts.Lots on this issue on earlier valvetronic models.BMW did an SIB but only on the n62.Ive seen it on the other forums across the engine range .Any valvetronic engine.Increasing idle speed will smooth it out for awhile,until the offending intermediate lever wears a new spot on the eccentric shaft.

Last edited by dolfan13; 06-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Set idle with DIS.INPA is only for trouble shooting and will revert back at next start.Classic symptoms of worn intermittent levers or eccentric shaft or both.If you have INPA you can temporarily set you idle valve lift from .3 mm to .8mm.Do this and see if idle improves.If it does you have worn parts.Lots on this issue on earlier valvetronic models.BMW did an SIB but only on the n62.Ive seen it on the other forums across the engine range .Any valvetronic engine.Increasing idle speed will smooth it out for awhile,until the offending intermediate lever wears a new spot on the eccentric shaft.
On the N62 engine you can disconnect the VANOS solenoids and it will disable VANOS & Valvetronics. This reverts it back to using the regular throttle body and sets the valves all the way open like most engines.

I assume this would work on the N52 engine as well and would be easy enough to try.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
On the N62 engine you can disconnect the VANOS solenoids and it will disable VANOS & Valvetronics. This reverts it back to using the regular throttle body and sets the valves all the way open like most engines.

I assume this would work on the N52 engine as well and would be easy enough to try.
Can also unplug the valvetronic motor,this will also put system in fail safe .If the intermediate lever is the issue the engine could still have rough idle at max lift??

Last edited by dolfan13; 06-12-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528ix sedan
Costco fuel bashing is not necessary. It's a top tier fuel and as such resides in the same territory as Chevron and Shell. I run Techron one fill up prior to a synthetic oil change, which is usually around 5k. I use Mobil1 0W-40 and Mann filters. In addition I add 2 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil and 2 oz of Sta-Bil to every 5 gallons of fuel that goes into the tank if my 2009 528ix. I have used this elixir for years in all of my vehicles that include BMW, MB, Acura, Saab, GMC, Volkswagen, Triumph, Volvo and Chevrolet. I also add it to all of my gas powered toys and tools including outboard motors and commercial lawn mowers. I have never had a fouling issue with injectors, spark plugs or carbs. It takes some effort to be diligent but well worth it.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Can also unplug the valvetronic motor,this will also put system in fail safe .If the intermediate lever is the issue the engine could still have rough idle at max lift??
I don't see how that would work. It seems that if you just unplugged the valvetronics motor, there would be no way for the computer to open the valves all the way to then use the throttle body, so I don't quite get that

The problem is slight difference between valve openings on different cylinders due to wear on the intermediate levers/eccentric shafts. When the valves are all the way open the difference between them is a very tiny percentage of the overall opening and thus not that big a deal

When they're closer to (or at) minimum lift at .3mm or whatever it is, a small variance is a much bigger issue
Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM

Your right ,valvetronic motor would sit at whatever position it was unplugged.