Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Where is the RDC Antenna (TPMS)

Hey guys, need some help finding the location of the RDC Antenna. Just to add some clarify... there are two different parts:

1. RDC Transmitter Trigger (This is the square box that goes in each wheel well)
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...236771042.html

2. RDC Antenna (This looks more like a big USB Flash Drive)
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...236771043.html

For the E60's there are 4 transmitters and only 1 antenna (I called and confirmed at a couple dealerships... although they weren't sure where the antenna is located. They guessed either in the rear bumper or possibly in the front drivers side wheel well or underneath the car...) The antenna is what actually talks to the RDC Control Unit (which is in the trunk, under the spare). I'll try to look around some more for it when I get home.

Anyhow, I need help (anyone know from experience? ) finding the RDC antenna. I'm sure the service department knows... but don't think they're willing to share.

2007 530xi Alpine White/Cream Beige Dakota/Dark Poplar; Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, and Adaptive Xenons
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 535XI
Smile E60 RDC Antenna Location

Hi:

If you have issues with TPM malfunction, your problem may be the antenna. If you scan your car with INPA and get five codes (four for tire modules and one for the antenna), then your problem is the antenna. Buy it used online for about $40 or buy it new for $75. This antenna is another BMW defective part, along with the water pump, fuel pump, windshield fluid pump, battery cables, and rear lights,

The RDC Antenna is located under the car directly below the driver seat. You must jack the car, remove screws holding the panel from the center of the car towards the driver side edge. Then pull the panel towards the back of the car and look up, directly below the driver seat. The antenna is sitting there inside a plastic clip. just pull it out, unplug it and plug the new one in and remount it on the clip.

Very simple job.

No matter what, I still think it is the best car in the world.

Gee Man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RDC1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	429667   Click image for larger version

Name:	rdc2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	429668   Click image for larger version

Name:	rdc3.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	429669  
Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
Thanks for sharing this. It will come in handy one day no doubt.

I do get surprised at the way BMW does things some times. The more or less industry standard for TPMS is to let the already fitted keyless entry radio set serve as the radio for the TPMS. I can't think of a good reason for BMW to not have done it the same way.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 PM
550i,M Sport,CWP,Navi,HUD

Mein Auto: 550i,Sport,Navi,CWP,HUD
TPM Malfunction

Hello, I have a 2007 550i and I just installed the summer wheels set. As I did the reset in the I-drive of the TPM, it gave me a TPM malfunction and can no longer reset. The trunk is dry and the RDC looks dry as well.
The dealer wants to charge 2 hours for diagnostic. Should I just take a chance on replacing the RDC antenna? We did have a bad winter in Michigan.
What about the RDC...Is there a test I can do to quickly identify? Thanks for the help...
Old 03-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
Call a local tire store. Most have TPM testing equipment that can tell you if the sensors in tires are OK. That way you won't spend a was of cash to be told the sensors are the issue.

DO you have TP sensors in the winter wheels? If so, did the system work fine during the winter?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:54 PM
550i,M Sport,CWP,Navi,HUD

Mein Auto: 550i,Sport,Navi,CWP,HUD
I did not have TP on my winter tires. I have it only on my summer tires and they were working fine when I removed them last fall. I run 18" summer (original) and 17" winter (aftermarket). So I ran without TP all winter as usual. Now that I installed my summer tires, the reset doesn't work.
I would be surprised to that all 4 sensors aren't working, especially when they were stored in my basement (heated & dry). I'll take a chance on the RDC antenna which sells at $40...I'm not paying $250 for a diagnostic and then an extra $200 to $500 for repairs.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535XI
Bmw rdc antenna repair

What does your error message say? Does the I Drive give you tpm malfunction? Any tire shop should be able to scan your wheels For free and verify that your. We also had a very bad winter in Iowa and I know of two other cars that had antennas go bad. The antenna has a seal in the front and the seal seems to break from the cold then water will leak inside it and cause a short. You can open the antenna and you will find some green corrosion inside. If you clean it really good and make sure that the connections are good then the antenna can be fixed and re sealed with silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140328_181833.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	431710  
Old 07-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
anyone know where the RDC unit is on a 2003 745li?

Bart