Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-21-2014, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: ford
535XI questions

i have been looking in to an all wheel drive BMW for some time now. I don't think i like how small the 3 series is so i am looking in to the 5 series. where i am located i can buy a 535XI for cheaper then the 530XI with about the same mileage on them. (about 80 - 90 thousand) along with the 6 sped manual. I have looked in to the 535 and i see they had a few not so minor issues with that set up. turbos cracking, injector issues, fuel pump problems and something about the intake manifold i think were the big ones. So here are my questions, Did BMW ever resolve the issues with the 535? if they did what years are the best for them or what years to stay away from? would i be better off with the 530?

Opinions would be appreciated as i have never owned a BMW before and have no idea what i am getting in to with them. I also was an avionics mechanic for the air force for years and do the bulk of my own maintenance so i'm not afraid to work on it. what i am afraid of is buying a car that's going to need thousands worth of work right off the bat or close to it.

i look forward to any input you can give me. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535 xi, 2007 Mini S,
If you do some research on here you will find the common problems, use the search function. I have a 2008 535 xi. I had the hPFP replaced under warranty, NO other problems, a great car with 76k, and a manual. I believe BMW is now covering the turbos, wastegates and HPFP until 120k because of a class action suit that was brought against them. They are super easy cars to modify, I figure mine is pushing 365-375 horse, an absolute blast to drive, consistently sub 5 second zero to 60 runs, wicked strong hard pulling third gear.you should take one out for an extended test drive, get all the maintenance history that you can and some folks buy an extended warranty, I didn't as the 2000-2500 for the warranty is a roll of the dice that something will go wrong, for me nothing has.i really really enjoy my car, it hauls ass and is very comfortable!
2008 535xi. 6MT,Cobb tune. ER FMIC ER charge pipe with Tial BOV,,R1 Concepts drilled rotors. Beyern mesh staggered wheels 18", Continental DW. M5tech rear bumper, Umnitza quad exhaust. Injen intake. KW V3 coilovers. USN Veteran USS Robert H. McCard DD822, USS Butte AE27
Old 03-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi M Sport
The (E 60) is one of my favorite models today. The new 4 door 6 is another beautiful vehicle from BMW.

Ok on to business... In late 2011 I picked up an '08 E 60 xi with 100,000 miles. It belonged to an older fellow, a traveling business man.

I soon had a lot of trouble with this car but it when it was tip top it was so much fun to drive. Never did I feel like I needed more power and while cruising around curves and at high speeds the car cradled me so well.

However.. A/C lines blew at 127,000, had to replace turbos at 140,000, and in between there I had cracked an exhaust manifold.

In early '13 at 147,000 miles I traded her in for a '10 E 60 M Sport with 33,000 miles. Because the new body style was out I picked the vehicle up for a very nice price.

In between vehicles I test drove some the competition. The Merc E class did not accelerate like my old car..and the interior of the Jag xf felt like it was better suited for an older fellow to take to the country club.

The Audi A6 was the only car I drove that I rivaled my '08. It felt mor nimble more responsive tighter in the corners but the interior was nowhere near as refined as the BMW.

So I went with what I new I loved and stuck with the 535 xi this time with the M sport package in order to keep tight on those Audi's and I love it.

My girlfriend has an '09 328i and there is no comparison between our vehicles. She doesn't even enjoy her car after driving mine.

I am not biased by any means I went and tested the waters looking for something better and could not find it. I think the newer model Audi's that are out are beginning to really mature with their interior would consider an A6 for my next vehicle.

Go drive a bunch of cars before you purchase. It is a blast.

Happy hunting.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell072009 View Post
i have been looking in to an all wheel drive BMW for some time now. I don't think i like how small the 3 series is so i am looking in to the 5 series. where i am located i can buy a 535XI for cheaper then the 530XI with about the same mileage on them. (about 80 - 90 thousand) along with the 6 sped manual. I have looked in to the 535 and i see they had a few not so minor issues with that set up. turbos cracking, injector issues, fuel pump problems and something about the intake manifold i think were the big ones. So here are my questions, Did BMW ever resolve the issues with the 535? if they did what years are the best for them or what years to stay away from? would i be better off with the 530?

Opinions would be appreciated as i have never owned a BMW before and have no idea what i am getting in to with them. I also was an avionics mechanic for the air force for years and do the bulk of my own maintenance so i'm not afraid to work on it. what i am afraid of is buying a car that's going to need thousands worth of work right off the bat or close to it.

i look forward to any input you can give me. Thanks.
Russel, if you come back after your first post, look at "So You Just Bought an E60", in the sticky's.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM

i did download the E60 pdf and poked through it real quick. i'll be able to give it a more detailed check tomorrow or monday.

bjack1331, those are the kinds of things that concern me about buying one. i can only imagine what a turbo replacement on a BMW would run me just in parts alone. the manifold has the ability to really ruin your day depending on the studs as well. the AC lines surprise me though, never seen that happen.

overall i have almost always owned big cars, 97 grand marquis, 04 crown vic, 06 charger R/T Daytona, 04 marauder. right now i run a 99 altima and a 97 expedition. i hate the expedition but it's 4WD and we get a lot of snow and the nissan is decent on fuel. what i want is something 4WD that is decent on fuel but has some snot when i want to play and i can dump both the nissan and the expedition. i can't see being happy with a 3 series because it is rather small. actually it's about the size of my nissan and i'm not happy with that either. the 5 is larger but nowhere near the size of a crown vic but will have more power all day long and i think i can deal with the size of it a lot better. so seeing as i do not want to take the chance of getting involved with major repairs in the not to distant future it's sounding like i would be better off with the 530. i would like the extra power of the 535 but seeing as i havn't driven anything with more then 230 HP in the last 3 years i'm think the 530 might be peppy enough for now. anything i should know about the 530 that is not in the So You Just Bought an E60 post?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Just buy a new Subaru forester and you won't have to worry about a 100,000 mile plus BMW blowing its turbo! Seriously, sure you hear bad things on the Internet about the N54 because who writes and posts about how wonderful their car is, it's loaded though with people who complain. The fact ofthe matter is if you don't have the wallet to handle a 3000 dollar repair then you shouldn't buy a high performance German car, stick to something Japanese....how about the Awd Toyota Sienna minivan, plenty of room, not bad on gas, of course it isn't as snazzy as a Marquis or big Buick but what the hell, get it with tinted windows and no one will know its you driving it!!
2008 535xi. 6MT,Cobb tune. ER FMIC ER charge pipe with Tial BOV,,R1 Concepts drilled rotors. Beyern mesh staggered wheels 18", Continental DW. M5tech rear bumper, Umnitza quad exhaust. Injen intake. KW V3 coilovers. USN Veteran USS Robert H. McCard DD822, USS Butte AE27
Old 03-23-2014, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
FWIW - I have the 535xi. AMAZING in the snow. I've driven through some real **** this winter and NEVER EVEN ONCE lost confidence in the AWD (gotta have good all-season tires at least). It really is awesome.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
Just buy a new Subaru forester and you won't have to worry about a 100,000 mile plus BMW blowing its turbo! Seriously, sure you hear bad things on the Internet about the N54 because who writes and posts about how wonderful their car is, it's loaded though with people who complain. The fact of the matter is if you don't have the wallet to handle a 3000 dollar repair then you shouldn't buy a high performance German car, stick to something Japanese....how about the Awd Toyota Sienna minivan, plenty of room, not bad on gas, of course it isn't as snazzy as a Marquis or big Buick but what the hell, get it with tinted windows and no one will know its you driving it!!
so what you're saying is because i'm smart enough to do some research to see how bad the issue is and am not interested in doing thousands in repairs within a year or so i should stick myself in a more reliable lower end car. you sir are by far the largest and most arrogant tool i have ever heard. who are you to tell someone if they are questioning and are concerned with the lifespan of multi thousand dollar parts and are seeking facts from actual owners before i end up with a lemon, i shouldn't even bother buying one. bottom line is your precious german engineers screwed the pooch on the design. a class action lawsuit proves that beyond any doubt. if you're dumb enough to buy one without doing any research in to it then you don't deserve the "wallet" that you have. i asked for facts. if you have none to give then shut up and move on. what i want is to gauge the commonality of the problem and the probability of failures. what years were prone to failures and which ones weren't. i came here looking for facts from actual owners, the best source of first hand information, not toolboxes like you.

Sumfuncomet, may your turbos grenade, your rods shatter and your transmission lock up. maybe having your head slapped against a steering wheel will be enough to knock you off that pedestal you think you have a right to be on. I appreciated the information in your first post but you were WAY out of line on your second.

Last edited by russell072009; 03-23-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 PM

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! You are probably the person who is the road rager.....incredibly thin skinned, not astute enough to recognize evident irony! Lighten up, laugh a little. I HAVE been called a toolbox before, I think it had something to do with the size of my tool!
In reference to me not doing research on my car, it took me year to find the right 6MT, color, options and maintenance history......btw, when my turbos blow as you so fervently wish, it will be time to give RB Turbo a call for their Stage 2 setup...I think they are about 4k.....part of the fun I have with my cars.........remember.....breathe slowly, count to ten and lighten up!