Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-22-2014, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: Bucket
2008 535i thinking of buying is it Ok

Boys N Girls... need some help here..From my local carmax dealer they have a 2008 535i with 44300 miles ...for 20 grand...my budget for a car is 22000 ...Is it worth for me to go this route..The car looks amazing and in good shape it also comes with 100k extended warranty..any thoughts ...or am I better off getting a newer car in the lines of honda or toyota..thank you
Ads by Google
Old 03-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
It's a good price with the extended warranty, esp. if it has navigation. You will want to read the sticky post in this forum "So You Just Bought an E60", and maybe have a mechanic check the car out before committing.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535 xi, 2007 Mini S,
Ditto on what Hypnos said. Find out what maintenance has been performed. Is it current with all BMW recommended service? Check out the Carfax! Any accidents etc.? Have someone you trust look it over. Maintenance is key to keeping a good running car. For example my 76k mile 2008 535xi went in for the 75k scheduled service. A leaking pinion seal was discovered on the transfer case, when the fluid was drained it was discovered it was only half full! My mechanic said not to worry about it but intended up being a 230.00 repair instead of 3-4000!.
Sounds like a good deal, you like the color?, is it optioned the way you want? If so, buy it and enjoy it!
2008 535xi. 6MT,Cobb tune. ER FMIC ER charge pipe with Tial BOV,,R1 Concepts drilled rotors. Beyern mesh staggered wheels 18", Continental DW. M5tech rear bumper, Umnitza quad exhaust. Injen intake. KW V3 coilovers. USN Veteran USS Robert H. McCard DD822, USS Butte AE27
Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Definitely ask them for the service history. The cars are known for high pressure fuel pump issues, turbo issues, fuel injector issues, water pump, and some other miscellaneous quirks. Also, make sure the Warranty they include is not a "base model" warranty, but rather an "exclusion-based" warranty...it will be much more comprehensive. Or, is it the BMW CPO warranty? If so, be sure you have enough time based on the in-service date of the car. Having 56Kmiles worth of warranty, and 2 months to use it is almost worthless.

It is a BLAST of a car to drive...and BITCH of a car if you've got issues. Lots of them have no issues, so you just never know...which is why I'm pushing the warranty so hard. My 2008 has had at least $14K of warranty work done in the last year. Not to scare...but just to advise.

You asked if you should just go find a Honda or Toyota...I can help you answer that easily. Are you the type of person buys an new car, has fun with it for a while and then either looks to do some upgrades or starts looking for the next one? Do you LOVE driving and get a thrill out of the curves, acceleration, and the luxury a car like this provides? Do you want a car that will make you turn around and look at it as you walk away from it? If yes, get the BMW. One sure fire way to learn whether this is the right car for you is this: Go drive it again...once rolling in Drive, slide the gearshift lever to the left (do not use it as a "manu-matic" type stick shift, just slide it to the left) and go find a road where you can open it up and run it though some curves. If your pulse rate increases...well, you may have your answer. If that does nothing for you, keep reading...

Do you want super-reliable transportation and think leather, power windows and AC are luxury? Is a car just another appliance that you only want to think about every 5K miles because the oil change sticker reminded you? Do you keep cars for 200K miles and get pissed if the brake job costs more than a couple hundred bucks? If Yes, get the Honda or Toyota.

I've put 53,000 miles on my 08 535xi in just over 13 months...and I freakin LOVE this car, despite hating it occasionally, but I've accepted the large "costs" associated with it. You will never be bored with this car. You will ALWAYS be bored with a Honda or Toyota. I've had Maximas, accords, altimas, etc. BORING, but will never let you down.

As you can see....its all up to you. Be honest with yourself and get the right car for you.

One note about 08 vs newer...the iDrive system in the 08 sucks donkey dick compared to the iDrive in 09.5 and newer. The DVD Navigation system SUCKS...I still used my trusty, and WAY more accurate Garmin. (yes, I tried the 2013 updated maps...still sucks).

The price seems pretty good...A few options that would make this a really good deal are Comfort Access, Logic7 Audio upgraded stereo, Sport Package, Park Distance Control.

good luck.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: Bucket
thank you

Thanks for the replys and insights..I will pick up the car on Wednesday.im excited
Old 03-24-2014, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
He's right!

Anymax, I could not have put it any better myself!!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman12 View Post
Anymax, I could not have put it any better myself!!!!
I think a lot of us speak the same language...
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 535I
Good advice given, I was researching for about a month before I brought mine. Here is what I ran into, a lot of places selling this model will not have service history or admit they exist.
Personally if I couldn't get the history I didn't want the trouble. Most people I called said this model was rock solid now issues, even a salesman from North Haven BMW with over 20 years experience .I ended up flying to AL just to buy a CPO model that was in my budget and had some history. Here is where I started to get uneasy, the term "Certified" sounds nice but to me its a gimmick. Some things they said they checked couldn't have been. Not even a full 2 weeks of owning the car, I was stranded with my wife and son on the roadside. After watching dateline about BMW's just stopping when it failed I assumed it was an exaggeration. NOPE! Car was overheating when parked. Gave me a warning to drive to cool car off, I drove a maybe 3/4 car lost all power.

Here is the good news. I called the dealer and the 1800 number the car was picked up within 45 mins, all the BMW reps I spoke to were awesome in assisting me. The nearest dealer is 70 miles away.
I got a loaner car, since I still had temp tags, even though they told me loaners are only for scheduled maint. My car was repaired within hours and I get a call to return to pick it up. Spent $50 granted sucks to replace a water pump this early but the price for the service was unbeatable. So always go with the CPO, and direct from 3 mechs at BMW if you don't have a warranty don't own a 3/535. Now I figured maybe owners had bad luck, but my car has 67k mi's and has had, the water pump fail last week, HPFP replaced at 3k mi and a couple other small problems.

I have been a Nissan own since forever, and I'm use to parts having a long service life. So far I can say the car comfort and handling out the box is hands down better than anything factory I've driven.
As for power, if you never driven anything tuned you'll probably love it. To me if I didn't know it was turbo charged I wouldn't have guessed from driving it. It doesn't put a smile on my face until triple digits speeds and at that point it's just not worth it to continue. But I'm biased as most of my cars were tuned street cars.

I brought this car in hopes of tuning, but I think after the warranty is expired I have to make a hard choice.

The price seems good and this board has a lot of information to offer. Hope you have good luck with yours and enjoy the car.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymax View Post
Definitely ask them for the service history. The cars are known for high pressure fuel pump issues, turbo issues, fuel injector issues, water pump, and some other miscellaneous quirks.

It is a BLAST of a car to drive...and BITCH of a car if you've got issues. Lots of them have no issues, so you just never know...which is why I'm pushing the warranty so hard. My 2008 has had at least $14K of warranty work done in the last year. Not to scare...but just to advise.
BMW E60, can't live with it, can't anchor a boat without it.