Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Sounds like you couldn't really afford the car.

I hate it when poor people buy things they can barely afford and then spend months bitching about it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
OUCH ! Sorry if some of us poor people who own a $ 100,000.00 bmw and three other vehicles can not afford them. . The reality of the f10 M5 is this, it is a very nice sedan, that is it. It is not a super high performance sedan and it is not at the top of it's game when it comes to all out performance. As far as comfort and luxury, it is better than most in it's price category. The end result is the f10 M5 has been out done by most if not all it's competitors when it comes to all out performance when compared to sedans in the $ 90,000.00 to $ 130,000.00 price class. So let go of your ego and get over it. It is no longer the ultra high performance sedan that all others were measured by, like the e39,e28, or the e60. The competition has left it in the dust !
Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Actually you are wrong on many counts.
1) M5 outsells E63 and RS7 by large margin
2) If you analyze the number of 2013 M5s for resale and divide by number sold it is a substantially lower percentage than for the 2013 Porsche Panamera and 2013 E63. Porsches are something like 4 times as likely to be resold within one year.
3) M5 resale is pretty good. I sold my 2013 for 78% of MSRP after 16 months. That is comparable value retention to a Porsche 911S and much higher percentage than what you would retain on a Panamera.

The only problem is the press and quite frankly I think they are a bunch of twits. They don't cars about the things an actual car buyer cares about.

I am a multi-millionaire. When I bought my 2014 I could have bought any of the RS7, M5, E63 or Panamera Turbo. I chose the M5. And I considered all 4. So in my review the M5 wins in 2014 and unlike those journalists who didn't buy any of the cars they tested, I bought one. That's conviction. So I don't give a **** what those journalists say - I get paid more than most of them and I think my opinion is more important because I'm spending the money.
You posted your 2013 MSRP as $112,700 and your last asking price was $85,000, so assuming you were able to get that price you sold it at 75% of MSRP. FTC has a 6 Speed Manual which will really depreciate, so I hope you leased it.

Last edited by mitch66; 02-15-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Change
Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch66 View Post
You posted your 2013 MSRP as $112,700 and your last asking price was $85,000, so assuming you were able to get that price you sold it at 75% of MSRP. FTC has a 6 Speed Manual which will really depreciate, so I hope you leased it.
Disagree. The 6 speed manual is much more rare and with this being the possible last m5 offering a "true" manual transmission, it will hold value better. Supply and demand. For every 10 m5's that are made, 1 is a manual. The dct's are a dime a dozen. And a large part of the reason why many people claim the M5 is unengaging is because the Dct, as amazing as it may be for a "automatic transmission", it is what it is, a auto that is unengaging and BORING !

And yes I have driven the DCT..

Last edited by FTC; 02-15-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
Disagree. The 6 speed manual is much more rare and with this being the possible last m5 offering a "true" manual transmission, it will hold value better. Supply and demand.
Not according to Manheim !
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
FTC.

Since you like to read magazine articles:

Check out the latest issue of Road&Track. Nice comparo there with the M5.

F10 M5 Alpine/Sakhir

Last edited by mlaynemd; 02-20-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: '13 BMW M5, '14 Audi SQ5
Quote:
My statements are not opinions they are facts. If you can find a review in the U.S. were the M5 was favored or even recommended as a value let me know.
As stated check out the new (March/April) Road & Track. They picked the M5 CP OVER the RS7, E63 S, XFR-S and Panamera Turbo. That is all the top competitors in the luxury sports sedan field. They seem to align with my sentiments/values but even with this "win", I would still suggest driving the competition before coming to any conclusions.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch66 View Post
Not according to Manheim !
+, Sad, but true. In this case, demand is more important than supply. It seems that 90+ % of US auto buyers are looking for automatics and that includes BMW. On forums like this we find those diehard manual folks, myself being one, but sadly we are greatly outnumbered.

I am curious to see if the resale value of the F10 M5 is anywhere near what previous M5s have been. If it turns out they take a big fall after 3 years, I might be a buyer as I like the car, even with its faults.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Those guys in the magazines are a bunch of hacks. I watch them test drive the F10 on Top Gear and they said it was the BEST car in the world. The guys on Top Gear actually know how to drive the cars the way they should be driven. The US magazines test them driving to the grocery store. I looked at everything before I purchased my M5. I looked at the R8, Vantage V8, the 911, plus many more..... For the price there is nothing out there that compares in performance and quality. Besides that the car is an absolute beast! I'm getting my Meisterchaft exhaust installed this week and can't wait.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM

Just finished reading the new issue of road and track. I enjoyed it very much. I will have to admit it was nice to see a comparison were the M5 came out on top, and against some very stiff competition. It was really nice to read how the M5 was praised for being a rear wheel drive sedan instead of being harshly critized. The other thing I found great was that the M5 was also praised for being "fun to drive" and a handful to handle when driving on back roads fast, " after pushing the m5 aggressively on mountain roads my palms are sweating". Bingo it's called having fun while driving fast which equals "M". Loved the article and in this case I enjoyed being proven that I was wrong because the reason road and track voted for the M5 are a lot of the same reasons I chose the M5 last summer. Scary fast,great looks, and fun to drive !
Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM

I know many people here feel that the automobile critics are idiots and do not agree with everything they write, and I do not agree with them all the time either, but they do get to try out a lot of different cars so it may not be the end all when they pick a particular car, but it does say something when the M5 comes out on top against 5 very high performance sedans.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i/'13 X3 35i
Glad to see you come around. I just can't see any possible way the F10 M5 can be rated as a failure.

The space and luxury normally associated with a 7 series matched with supercar performance sounds like a winning formula to me.

I can't wait to see what the new M3/M4 can do. Slight weight reduction + more power/torque (and a much more usable powerband) make me think it will outperform the previous model by a considerable margin.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
Glad to see you come around. I just can't see any possible way the F10 M5 can be rated as a failure.

The space and luxury normally associated with a 7 series matched with supercar performance sounds like a winning formula to me.

I can't wait to see what the new M3/M4 can do. Slight weight reduction + more power/torque (and a much more usable powerband) make me think it will outperform the previous model by a considerable margin.
I actually started this thread to see what the response would be of fellow M5 owners. I love the M5. Always have loved the M5, E28 to F10. I did a lot of research on the new M5 before buying it and really felt like it was the best performance sedan out there, along with always being my DREAM CAR. So after buying the M5 and all the comparos started coming out and the M5 had lost every one of them I started to wonder if I was crazy, which I know some of you think I am. The mighty M5 was getting ridiculed for being rear wheel drive,to heavy, and numb steering, all of which I disagreed with. So I was ecstatic to see the M5 finally win a 5 car comparo against some very worthy competition. And why did it win ? Because of all the reasons I originally bought the car. Rear wheel drive,LSD instead of AWD,scary fast,great looks, and most important when you buy a M car, Fun to drive !
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Well guys, i read through this entire thread and i am not a millionaire by a long shot, i have a 2007 328i with 75k miles and i am in the market for a super-performance sports car with 4 doors (simply because i cannot afford to have a 1 weekday and a 1 weekend car). I did test drove the Porsche Cayman S, i liked it but the $75k leasing price (2 years: $30K) and virtually NO trunk space is a big loss for me, so far i have done my research on multiple magazine sites, some of them have backlashed at M5 because a Panamera Turbo S or a ClS63 AMG or some xyz car outruns this M5 by a second or 2 in 0-60mph, guys realistically speaking, i am never going to take an M5 on a race track, i need this car for thrill, acceleration, performance, handling (love it in my 328i), horse power.

My only question here is: does an M5 also have an acceleration 2 second lag when you push down the throttle like in a 328i? (that's a number #1 thing that turns me off in a bimmer), so an m5 will fit me i guess economically (20 mpg and $85k price tag for a 2013 model) with all the raw power, space and performance. I travel a lot and also need a lot of trunk space, so i guess M5 wins there too..!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: M5, Cayenne Turbo, S600
I drive my Mother-in-Law's Panamera Turbo S once in a while, it is a great car with incredible acceleration. Of course it cost over $200K and is loaded wth every option. I got my M5 for less than half of what she paid and for the extra $120K she paid I don't think she got that much more performance for the money.

I really don't care what these car mags say, I drive what I like.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 911 C2S
We have double standards, if the press validates our decisions to purchase M5's then we hail them as being right on the money, but dare to shed any negative light on our proud $100k purchase and we have to dismiss it as nonsense. Like the OP stated, truth hurts, the M5 is not the champ it used to be any more and most except M5 owners know this.
2009 550i Msport (retired)
2007 E63 AMG (retired)
2005 750i (retired)
2006 Porsche Boxster S (retired)
2003 C32 AMG (retired)
2002 745i (retired, mistake)
1998 Toyota Camry (retired)
1997 Honda Civic
1995 Acura Integra
1991 GMC Safari
1986 Mazda 626
1982 Schwinn bicycle
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2009 | N54 | 135i
I still vouch for e60 m5.

my friend had the f10 m5, he cancelled his lease to get a 2014 gtr... :/
MANNY@activeautowerke.com
O 305.233.9300
"Release Your ///Ms"
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanj_16 View Post
Well guys, i read through this entire thread and i am not a millionaire by a long shot, i have a 2007 328i with 75k miles and i am in the market for a super-performance sports car with 4 doors (simply because i cannot afford to have a 1 weekday and a 1 weekend car). I did test drove the Porsche Cayman S, i liked it but the $75k leasing price (2 years: $30K) and virtually NO trunk space is a big loss for me, so far i have done my research on multiple magazine sites, some of them have backlashed at M5 because a Panamera Turbo S or a ClS63 AMG or some xyz car outruns this M5 by a second or 2 in 0-60mph, guys realistically speaking, i am never going to take an M5 on a race track, i need this car for thrill, acceleration, performance, handling (love it in my 328i), horse power.

My only question here is: does an M5 also have an acceleration 2 second lag when you push down the throttle like in a 328i? (that's a number #1 thing that turns me off in a bimmer), so an m5 will fit me i guess economically (20 mpg and $85k price tag for a 2013 model) with all the raw power, space and performance. I travel a lot and also need a lot of trunk space, so i guess M5 wins there too..!
If you are considering the M5 it is a good choice. I originally posted this thread to see what fellow f10 M5 owners felt and how they would respond, devils advocate. Personally I have owned my M5 for one year and I love it ! I have owned other performance sedans and sports cars and it is hard to beat the f10 M5. It has received some very critical reviews in the U.S., in Europe and other countries it fares much better. People that have bought the F10 M5 I find are split. I think 50 % love it and 50 % are very critical of it's size and steering feel. There are a group of people out there, espcially over on bimmerpost, who have disposable incomes and were shocked that a 4300 lbs. 4 door sedan doesn't not feel like a 3000 lbs. 2 door sports car ? So they quickly trade in their M5's take the depreciation hit and spend another $ 60,000.00 to $ 100,000.00 to make themselves feel like they have the best handling sports car MONEY can buy. College 101 at it's finest. As we all know car enthusiasm has become a rich mans game/hobby not necessarily a smart mans game.
Personally I am somewhat similar to you in my car spending from the sounds of your post. I can only afford 1 high performance car and 1 four wheel drive truck. I can not afford to have $ 500,000.00 worth of depreciating assets sitting my garage like some of these clowns. But I will tell you this, the f10 M5 is a great high performance sedan. In my opinion it handles great. It drives much smaller than it's 4300 lbs.. It is literally two cars in one. In comfort/efficient mode it is as comfortable as a seven series when cruising and in M mode it turns into a beast. A beast that is very fun to drive on back roads or at the track. The technical and comfort features on the inside are awesome and the seats are second to none from a comfort standpoint. As far as exterior looks, I get compliments constantly. Today for example driving home from boston in a two hour drive I got 4 compliments on the M5. Keep in mind this is a RWD sedan with almost 600 hp and it takes some respect to drive it hard. I have driven it hard several times since I have owned it and I have no problem with the rear wheels efficiently putting the power to the ground. Is awd needed ? Only if you are obsessed with 0-60 times. Once you get going the rwd is much more fun to drive and will actually go thru corners better if you know what you are doing. If you are going to drive it at all in the winter get winter tires and do not drive it in a snow storm, it was not made for that. But with winter tires you can drive it no problem on cold pavement or with 2-4 inches of snow on the ground max. I do not drive mine in the snow even though I have snow tires.

Good luck with your decision.

P.S. - if you chose the M5 make damn sure you get a quality radar detector, you will need it, 100 mph comes quick and very unassuming. I've hit 135 mph and the car handles it effortlessly.

Last edited by FTC; 05-15-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 911 C2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanj_16 View Post
My only question here is: does an M5 also have an acceleration 2 second lag when you push down the throttle like in a 328i?
Although the biturbo helps, there is definitely a lag you won't find on naturally aspirated engines, not a 2 sec lag though. You should try it for yourself and see if it bothers you. The result of increased restrictions on MPG numbers has resulted in use of turbos across the BMW lines and you really can't completely eliminate the turbo lag.
2009 550i Msport (retired)
2007 E63 AMG (retired)
2005 750i (retired)
2006 Porsche Boxster S (retired)
2003 C32 AMG (retired)
2002 745i (retired, mistake)
1998 Toyota Camry (retired)
1997 Honda Civic
1995 Acura Integra
1991 GMC Safari
1986 Mazda 626
1982 Schwinn bicycle
Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM

I have noticed 0 turbo lag in my M5. This could be due to having a six speed manual though.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
I traded a 2013 B7 Alpina for this 2014 M5 and there is a world of difference. The B7 had a noticeable lag, but in full sport mode, I do not notice any appreciable turbo lag in my M5. I know there were some improvements made between the 2013 and 2014 models, so that might be the difference, but I love my 2014 M5 and just about everything about it.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
Quote:
I have to say you did a excellent JOB reselling your 2013 M5 for 78 % of msrp. If you can do that consintently I should give you mine and let you resale it and I could afford to pay you comission at 78 % of msrp. As far as some of the info you stated about sales and resales compared to M5 competitors some of those numbers may be decieving due to the fact that the RS7,E63 AMG, AND the PORSCHE Panarama Turbo supply numbers are alot less in the united states.

You killed your resale value by going with the 6MT.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
You killed your resale value by going with the 6MT.
To be honest I did not buy it with that in mind. I test drove both the Dct and the 6 speed manual and for me the manual is a lot more fun to drive. I have 0 regrets about going with the six speed manual and there is not a day I wish I had the Dct. If bmw discontinues the 6 speed manual in the m5 then I will go with either a m3 or a cts-v.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
To be honest I did not buy it with that in mind. I test drove both the Dct and the 6 speed manual and for me the manual is a lot more fun to drive. I have 0 regrets about going with the six speed manual and there is not a day I wish I had the Dct. If bmw discontinues the 6 speed manual in the m5 then I will go with either a m3 or a cts-v.
Yes, I remember but I was just relating that option to the resale situation. Not to say you didn't like it. I still like my DCT I think they did drop the 6MT for 2015.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Yes, I remember but I was just relating that option to the resale situation. Not to say you didn't like it. I still like my DCT I think they did drop the 6MT for 2015.
Are you sure ? I thought they were going to continue with the six speed manual until the next generation m5 comes out in 2017. And then I even heard that they were fifty-fifty on whether they would continue the 6 speed manual in the next generation.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Are you sure ? I thought they were going to continue with the six speed manual until the next generation m5 comes out in 2017. And then I even heard that they were fifty-fifty on whether they would continue the 6 speed manual in the next generation.
I could be wrong but I thought I read that on the other board. I have been looking at 911's of late, as a second car for myself.