Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: E53 06 X5
Angry E53 2006 X5 3.0i Ghost Problem...

Hello...

So I have this 2006 E53 X5 3.0i. I have purchased this vehicle two years ago with 53500 miles on it. Now two years down the road, the vehicle has 83500. It was well maintained, and had all the service intervals completed at the dealer at the appropriate time.

Aside from minor maintenance like breaks, oil, fluids, wipers, the vehicle hasn't asked for anything major so far...

About a week ago on a morning, as I start the car to go to work, I got the message: "TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG" Technically as I understand, this is when the car puts the transmission into safe mode, to avoid further damage. However, the transmission is not in safe mode, it shifts through all gears and aside from a minor jerking when downshifting from second gear to first, there is no noticeable loss of power or any other issues. BTW, this is an automatic transmission.

So I decided to take the car into the dealer to read the key. At the dealer there were no errors on the key, so they had to pull it into the bay to do an extensive diagnosis.

This are the results:

E4 - DME - Fuel trim bank 2 permissible range exceeded
E3 - DME - Fuel trim bank 1 permissible range exceeded
5E - DME - Secondary-air hot-film air-mass sensor
5F - DME - Secondary-air valve or secondary air-hose blocked
95 - DME - Plausibility error, air-mass to engine throttle
92 - EGS - CAN Torque interface
12- SM/LSM - Steering column, radial short circuit
90 - IKE - Voltage supple terminal 15, faulty
8D - IKE - EGS signal Line disturbed
68 - TCU - GPS antenna short circuit
69 - TCU - GPS antenna open circuit
79 - TCU - Control unit internal fault - bluetooth module
1 - - No communication possible with basic module
6 - SBBF - Control module fault
5F42 - DSC - Transmission control limp home operation
78 - LCM - Low-Beam left faulty
79 - LCM - Low-Beam right faulty
8E - LCM - sidelight rear left inside faulty
8F - LCM - sidelight rear right inside faulty
90 - LCM - turn indicator rear left faulty
91 - LCM - turn indicator rear right faulty
92 - LCM - brake light left faulty
93 - LCM - brake light right faulty
96 - LCM - reversing lamp left faulty
97 - LCM - reversing light right faulty

Ok here is the crazy problem.... A few of those codes are easy to understand, for example all the LCM codes are referring to lights. And now the odd issue... ALL LIGHTS ARE FUNCTIONING NORMALLY... So if all light are ok, how come they give an error code?

Same crazy issue with GPS and bluetooth... Both work, so how can they give errors?

So let me be clear... There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car other then the TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG message. All lights are working, GPS is functioning, bluetooth is working, there are no other codes or messages, not even the check engine is on!

BMW SERVICE RECOMMENDED THE FOLLOWING:

- Replace mass airflow meter and cracked boot
- Flush coolant
- Brake fluid flush
- Power-steering flush
- Replace engine belts
- perform oil change

So according to the service department these actions should take care of my TRANS FAILSAFE PROG message...

So I changed the oil, replace the torn mass air-flow sensor boot, and before i spend anymore money at this dealer, i need some more insight on this matter.

The reason I am skeptical about this issue and about them is because they've actually worked on my other vehicle, and two weeks after getting the car back from them it caught fire with me in it while driving... So I'm sure that any of you can understand my dilemma trying to trust these people anymore....

Bottom line is as follows...

Aside from this annoying message on my dash and the minor hiccup when downshifting from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1, the car is in perfect shape, and does not have any other problems, regardless all the above mentioned weird error codes...

PLEASE ANYONE WITH A SIMILAR PROBLEM OR ACTUAL EXPERIENCE, PLEASE ADVISE...

Thank you!!!
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2013, 05:46 PM
tech_bimmer

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 E53
When I received the Trans Failsafe Prog a few months ago, it occurred after I was replacing my stock air filter with AFE. After installing the filter, I forgot to attach the cable to the MAF sensor. After driving 5 miles I received the error code. I opened my hood, attached the cable to the MAF and all was well. If you've replaced the boot, I would take a look at the cable that attaches to the boot and oxygen sensor.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Thnx... All cable connections are checked and re-checked!
Also this message appeared before I replaced the boot! It appeared overnight without any changes or work done on the car!

The only weird thing about the situation is that the weather changed radically over night!
It went from 70's during the day to low 30's at night!

This is the only factor that I can think of, no other changes in the routine!!!

Because of the temperature, I thought it might be the battery, but that checked out too!!!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:20 AM
tech_bimmer

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 E53
Interesting. I will say that my dimmer has acted erradically during temperature changes. I've experiened very odd/unusual behavior in the past. BMW electrical is very finicky. Best of luck...
Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN-ERT View Post

The only weird thing about the situation is that the weather changed radically over night!
It went from 70's during the day to low 30's at night!

This is the only factor that I can think of, no other changes in the routine!!!

Because of the temperature, I thought it might be the battery, but that checked out too!!!
No xpert, and there are pages of TransFailSafe threads on x outpost dot com...
"...battery, but that checked out too!!"

I would have alternator checked by a good BMW Indie or very knowledgeable auto electric joint that is familiar with BMWs. Could be batt, could be alt glitching. These cars stumble electronically, when there is any kind of batt/alt degradation...it could be trans related, but the error can be electrically/electronically tripped by not transmission situs.

You didn't say how old your battery is; batts don't like FL summer heat, and unless it is quite new/well maintained, that or your alt, or should be the first hard look.

I would have a good Indie pull codes with GT1 scanner, Launch X431, et al, with BMW specific menus. A knowledgeable tech, with right scanner and BMW specific sub menus can tell you a lot.

I would avoid that dlr: they are fishing and trying to get you to throw parts and repair services at the wall, in pursuit of high margin non warranty repair, without going after the root cause of your fault, imo.
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/

Last edited by motordavid; 12-07-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
E53 2006 X5 3.0i Ghost Problem...

Your onboard monitoring computer may have moisture as a result of a sudden change of temperature, which may have triggered the false reports? If your car lights are fine but the monitoring computer is reporting faulty, then that can only indicate a faulty diagnostics module, which diagnoses all of the codes you have listed.

The mechanics advice to replace the parts you mention will not repair this fault. Are these guys genuine authorised BMW mechanics?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0

Imho, i also seem to think there is something wrong with the battery, alt or some power related issue. Theres way too many voltage and power related codes and way too many different systems all claiming to be faulty at once.
Bring it some where else for a second opinion before they make you shotgun a bunch of parts and repairs with the issue unresolved. Find a trusted local independent mechanic that works on german luxury cars or strictly bmw. At this point the e53 has two model successors and there isn't much need to pay top dollar for it's repairs.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 12-09-2013, 02:10 PM

OK... so, i have taken the car to three different service shops...

Ran three separate diagnostics on the battery, the alternator and starter...

ALL SEEM TO CHECK OUT... SO NO PROBLEMS THERE...

The dealer I initially took it to is a Certified BMW and Mercedes Dealer and Service Place...

Now comes the funny part... After replacing the Mass Airflow Sensor BOOT, i took it back to them to recheck the error codes and to reset them...

After paying another $149, they told me that the problem is not fixed and that I need to replace the Primary and possibly the secondary Airflow Sensors... They still don't have a clue as of why for example my headlights are giving a error code and function correctly!

The diagnostic computer is functioning too correctly...

So after I saw that I didn't get anywhere with them I took it to TUFFY!

And guess what, they have been able to erase the codes from the system and now the transmission is back in normal mode and there are no more codes showing up!!!

I simply can't believe that a $39 BOOT can cause such a headache and trigger so many error codes in a $60k car...

Or is it a Ghost in the machine kind of thing???

So for now the problem is solved, however I would still like to know how it is possible for so many error codes to appear and be nothing wrong with the system.........
Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006

I still believe the fault was in the diagnostics computer, or one of the sensors as you have reported, which probably had moisture, and parts replacement can often dry them up to allow them to return to normal functioning. BMW x5's are complex beasts. They may suffer short term faults, then next morning, the faults are gone?

Remember always the events leading up to the problem. You said there was a change of air temperature where you are, which may have caused condensation in the circuit boards of the diagnostics computer. I think this event may have triggered the false reports?

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: x5 sport 2003
Question Bring More Wad

Man these cars are a problem from ghost electrical code to un fixable oil leaks coolant that eats the harness because the insulation is crap yes i have a x5 sports era 2003 i also have a mitsubishi verada xi since new era 1997 the verada broke down once due to a failed main fuse c ost 10 dollars and five minutes thus far the bmw 3000 this month and still the techs cannot locate the ghost problem build quality not good outside of Germany dealership care factor 0
just one more reason to buy japanese