Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: e53 X5 3.0i
CV Axle Replacement

Good morning everyone,

I was hoping to have some insight on replacement CV Axle's for my 2004 X5. As of late I am hearing the standard crunch when turning at low speeds, common diagnostic. Has anyone found a cost efficient replacement? I've done some reading about replacements that come from China/Japan being crap, and I know the OEM will cost a pretty penny if taken to a dealership.

Does anyone know of a common and reliable replacement?
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Your X5's original axles were made by GKN/Loebro, a large OEM for driveline parts. Rebuilt front axles (often from China) are about $50-$80 each, depending on the side. Some people have good results with the rebuilt stuff, others have vibration issues and/or end up replacing them again in a few thousand miles.

I have done this job several times. The only axle I'll use is the OEM by Loebro. Some of the board sponsors here sell them. They're about $300ea or roughly 4x the price of the EMPI rebuilds (using EMPI as an example). That may seem pricey, but if you take it to a dealer, they'll use the same Loebro axle with a BMW sticker on it. The list price for *that* is about $660ea, which is insane. Figure at least 3 or 4 hours of shop labor plus an alignment.

Which one to use really depends on how long you plan to keep your X5. If it's not a keeper, you might want to roll the dice with the EMPI stuff. See if you can find a good indy shop and ask them what brand they use and what type of problems they have experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
CV Axle Re-Manufactured

Here is an E-bay listing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Fro...93c09f&vxp=mtr

From Detroit, MI