Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinboo View Post
blueish smoke would be your valve seals which would be around a 5,000 repair. the v8`s are bad for the seals.
Is it an easy job where I could just do it my self and save some money ?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
never did it before. I know people have and save about 3500.00 doing it themselves. you do need special tools .
Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 AM

That's a big bill, I'm considering trading it in then that's too much money for repairs, do u know if the newer 4.8 models are problematic like these ? Like a 2010 or newer
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
I think all v8 are. my engine hydrolocked and now gonna sell it in the summer. bmw has serious ccv issues, I`m not spending a cent on this piece of crap. .
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Ugh I'm just gonna start doing the work myself and cross my fingers I don't mess something up and everything works out as planned. Thanks for the help really appreciate it.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi I'm new to these discussions but I just recently bought a 2006 x5 3.0 6 cylinder. Anyways haven't had it two weeks and started noticing white smoke from tailpipes when I start it. Checked my oil and no water in oil and checked my coolant clean there too. Before I bought it I took it to a local BMW mechanic and they had it to the computer and said everything looked great it just needed some spark plugs and regular maintenance because it was close to a hundred thousand miles. On that note, I signed the papers and immediately started having problems. I am a 36-year-old housewife that my husband is a diesel mechanic and we have a tractor repair business so I know the basics of cars and I changed the spark plugs all of them, the coil packs all of them, all O2 sensors,the cam sensor, and still the same thing. I went ahead and changed all of that just because it was time to do that anyways. The only thing left was because the valve and the oil separator CCV to be replaced. I kept getting codes of misfires, lean bank one and two etc. constantly even after I've done all of that. After starting my engine and trying to get the oil cap off I decided I would change the ccv . I called local bmw dealership spoke to parts and got the ccv/oil separator . Well I found a DIY video and I CHANGED IT MYSELF. Oh it was no easy task and took me almost eight hours and I didn't have to take the intake off either. Finally finished and started it praying I out everything back correctly . I was pretty sure I did bc I took pics along the way . Anyways no smoke , no misfired and if I , a 36 yr old woman can do it anyone can . You need patience bc I am hoarse from cursing the car while working on it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto:
Mistypes on other post . It's early! Disa valve and ccv valve were the only things left to check . Also I couldn't get my oil cap off while car was running with old ccv/oil separator but comes off easily now w new one.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app