Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
2014 Competition Package M5 vs. 2014 M5 Base - layman's review

Hi All:

I had the chance over this past weekend to spend an extensive amount of time test driving 2 2014 M5's (street driving only). One with the competition package, and one without. It was the first time I've ever driven any flavor of M5, so I'm starting with a clean slate and no prior experiences to base my opinions on. I have no intentions of taking this vehicle to the track regularly, so that is my perspective as I was comparing these two vehicles. I wanted to share my thoughts and opinion in the hopes that it will help others who will use the M5 primarily on the street decide if the package is worth it to them or not.

As best I’ve gathered, the competition package makes the following modifications:

- 15HP increase (no torque increase)
- springs and damping rate increased by 20%
- 15% stiffer anti-roll bars
- 10mm lower ride height
- Active M differential has a standalone control unit
- M Dynamic mode allows a greater angle of slip
- more direct steering
- revised exhaust which opens baffles making it slightly louder at cruise and louder generally during acceleration.
- specific 20" wheels
- black chrome tailpipes

Here's my opinions point by point after driving both cars with DSC on and all other settings set in the “middle” setting (usually “Sport”) except where noted below:

15HP increase (no torque increase)

You're never going to notice this increase in power anywhere other than a track, and even then, a 3% horsepower increase is just not significant for most people to notice.

Springs and damping rate increased by 20%

The standard M5 is already pretty damn aggressive and given how well the standard 2014 M5 drives, I doubt there are many (any) folks who after a non-comp 2014 M5 test drive are screaming "this car needs stiffer springs and damper rates!" At a track, you'd probably appreciate this, but I’m not going to be at a track most of the time. On the street, you won't appreciate this at all because you’ll have dialed out the firmness in most cases with the adjustable dampers. The standard ride and handling are PLENTY capable and I personally found in my own test drive that the adjustable dampers set to Comfort or Sport mitigate the changes the Competition Package provides. In Sport Plus / most aggressive settings across the board, the standard M5 was pretty bone-jarring - certainly confidence inspiring. The comp package incrementally more so, but again, only at a track would anyone even be in an environment where they would appreciate this delta.

15% stiffer anti-roll bars

- While the test drive included a good mix of canyon roads and freeway driving, again, the standard M5 (no comp package) was plenty capable and I couldn’t push the car on a test drive to the limits where this increased stiffness would be noticeable/appreciated. Both cars were 100% confidence-inspiring.

10mm lower ride height

Track enthusiasts will care about this a bit. People who think 1cm is noticeable in the looks department will care a bit. Most people couldn’t care less about a centimeter drop.

Active M differential has a standalone control unit

I saw this in the literature for the comp package. I’m sure it excites someone. This just goes back to BMW’s “base” M5 being plenty capable.

M Dynamic mode allows a greater angle of slip

Again, my test drive was nowhere close to hitting the limits of either car. This feature isn’t really relevant to me even if I did. I will certainly be able to live with “a bit less slip allowance” on the non-comp M5.

More direct steering

This was most noticeable change on the comp package-equipped M5. There is more road feel through the wheel in the comp package car. There’s also more “agility” in the steering overall. This is probably the one biggest benefit the comp package provides. The standard car has a bit less road feel and a bit less agility (and it is really just an incremental improvement - we are talking nuances here). That said, those who have not yet driven a 2014 but have driven a 2013 or older F20 should test drive the 2014. I read a lot of the complaints in the 2013 and older reviews that the steering wasn’t as direct as it could/should be. I would not be surprised if BMW generally improved the steering in 2014 in the non-comp cars as well. The steering in the “base” 2014 M5 was very, very good. It was a bit better in the comp-package M5.

Revised exhaust which opens baffles making it slightly louder at cruise and louder generally during acceleration.

I’ll say this… If you want a generally louder exhaust, get a new exhaust aftermarket. The comp package cost is far too much for what to me was one of the two tangible benefits you’ll experience in day to day driving. The comp package car had a generally louder exhaust note and droned a bit more at cruise, so it’s definitely something you’ll want to spend quite a bit of time test driving to be sure you’re going to be OK not just with the sound at acceleration (which is fantastic), but also with hearing your exhaust system drone a bit more at cruise - ALL the time. That started to wear on me a bit to the point where when I drove the non-comp M5, I was quite happy that the standard exhaust note at cruise was a bit less obtrusive.

Specific 20" wheels

Personal taste. The comp package wheels do look better in person. In photos, not so much. The 343M wheels are a no-cost option on the comp package and I would definitely check that box. Those 343 wheels are gorgeous. Keep in mind the 343 wheels are a $1300 option on the non-comp car so the effective comp package cost is $6,000 if you were going to opt for 20” wheels anyway.

Black chrome tailpipes

Cosmetic.

————

To sum it up, as someone who is rarely going to experience the track/at-limit benefit the competition package provides, here is how much of the package I’ll never appreciate most of the time (and it may detract in some cases):

- 15HP increase (won’t notice)
- springs and damping rate increased by 20% (not something you'd notice on the street day to day and may be a net negative if you feel this makes the car’s ride too harsh)
- 15% stiffer anti-roll bars (ditto although may be a net positive in day to day driving)
- 1cm lower ride height (not noticeable)
- Active M differential has a standalone control unit (couldn’t “feel” any difference on the street)
- M Dynamic mode allows a greater angle of slip (limits not reached)
- specific 20" wheels (I think the other standard and optional wheels look better)
- black chrome tailpipes (cosmetic - either the bright chrome or black chrome look great)

That leaves 2 remaining daily tangible benefits for $6,000 (assuming you’d opt for 20” wheels regardless, otherwise $7,300):

- revised exhaust which opens baffles making it slightly louder at cruise and louder generally during acceleration.
- more direct steering

Is the competition package worth it to a driver that may rarely if ever take the M5 to the track? No. At the end of the day, the standard M5 is a fabulous baseline of performance. I want to use this car as a daily driver and maybe, someday, take it out for a spin or two on the track. This package is putting even more icing on a cake that really doesn’t need it.

Is the competition package worth it if your M5 is seeing a good amount of track time? Up to you, but I would suggest that you spend the money on the ceramic brakes instead. If money isn’t a concern, just be sure that the 90% of the time you will be on the street and not on the track that you’ll be OK with stiffer, firmer and louder all the time vs. a baseline that’s already plenty stiff, plenty firm and slightly less loud.

Last edited by tonyscv; 12-17-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Life is too short not to

Mein Auto: BMW 550i Dinan2/X5 2012 t
Wink Excellent post

Man
I loved your post
Just for the M5 Base and had some regrets over not shelling out more for the Competition package but I couldn't justify 300$ monthly difference as the one I was looking at with CP also had Driver Assistance package and I never track my cars and no intention to -

Reading your lovely post was like a sigh of relief for me -
Thank you
Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
The Driver

100% agree with your review which is why I didn't get CP either. Felt ride quality was worse, power felt same.

If I could buy the upgraded steering on its own I would have paid $1500 for that.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 750xi & 2002 745i
Very thorough review.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Great review. I own a late model build date 2013 M5. I have not had a chance to drive a CP 2014 M5, but I had always thought that if I had the chance I would have purchased the CP, but after reading this review it makes me wonder if I would. After reading the OP's post I do believe that out of all the updates the CP offers the steering and the anti roll bar stiffening are the most appealing to me. If I was in the market for a CP M5 now it would be a much tougher decision after reading this review.
I will say that since I have owned my M5 I have done some very aggressive driving on back roads and on and off ramps and it has yet to disappoint me once. Very good review. Makes me a lot more neutral about the CP.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM
6' / 250lbs

Mein Auto: '12 X5 + '14 M5 SOON!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
100% agree with your review which is why I didn't get CP either. Felt ride quality was worse, power felt same.

If I could buy the upgraded steering on its own I would have paid $1500 for that.
Nail on head.

And even though the wheels are cast, I'd like the option of upgrading to 601's without the CP. I prefer the look.
- Full IND cosmetic package / 12mm Macht Schnell Spacers / SunTek CXP tint - 18% / 5% sunroof / 55% windshield
Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 PM
The Driver

Interestingly we had a guy on the M5 board last week who bought a comp package M5 and was asking how to improve ride quality. He was considering retrofitting the standard suspension.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 AM
Life is too short not to

Mein Auto: BMW 550i Dinan2/X5 2012 t
Simple as that
Wanna track it? CP
Want to just have a fun drive but less fun and precise a knife - then standard of for you (And me -
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911 Turbo
I love my comp package. Ride in comfort mode is nice. I feel better traction with the M differential.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
go^bmw

Mein Auto: 14 F10 M5 Competition Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesj01 View Post
I love my comp package. Ride in comfort mode is nice. I feel better traction with the M differential.

+1, Love the ride in all Settings!

Current
2014 F10 M5 CP
Prior
2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS - Happily traded-in for M5
2009 e60 550i (MSport Pkg)
2006 e60 530i (Sport Pkg)
1999 e39 528i 5MT (Sport Pkg)
1992 325is 5MT
1990 325is 5MT
1988 325i
1986 318i
Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rahulsood
Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
I am debating comp vs. non comp. My baseline is a E90 335i Xdrive with run flats. And the ride in the E90 is terrible on roads as bad as what we have in Jersey City and Hoboken. I do not know anyone who owns a M5 in these 2 places. How would my E90's ride quality compare to comfort mode in non comp, and comfort mode in comp?

Also, the M5 will be my primary car and will replace my E90 which has all season tires. With the standard tires on non-comp and summer tires on comp, is driving in rainy conditions ok? (planning on getting a set of Blizzak's for the winter).

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2014, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsood View Post
I am debating comp vs. non comp. My baseline is a E90 335i Xdrive with run flats. And the ride in the E90 is terrible on roads as bad as what we have in Jersey City and Hoboken. I do not know anyone who owns a M5 in these 2 places. How would my E90's ride quality compare to comfort mode in non comp, and comfort mode in comp?

Also, the M5 will be my primary car and will replace my E90 which has all season tires. With the standard tires on non-comp and summer tires on comp, is driving in rainy conditions ok? (planning on getting a set of Blizzak's for the winter).

Thanks,

I might could help you. My lease I just turned in was a 2011 BMW 335IS convertible with upgraded 19s and RFTs. I liked the car a lot, except for the harsh ride when you hit bumps. It road rough, mostly because of the RFTs and thin rubber around the wheel. I just got a 2014 M5 with Comp Pack. It rides wonderfully. It is the perfect blend of sportiness and comfort that I have driven. You FEEL all of the road, but without the harshness over the bumps. It has amazing steering feel and tons of power for sigh a big sedan. The ride is night and day better than the 3 series, but the MSRP was $119k vs $72k, it should be better for 50k! Hope that helps
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rahulsood
Mein Auto: E90 335i xDrive
Vandit - just pm'ed you. Thanks!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes E350 Sport
thank you for the reviews

I drove the m5 2014 comp package today. It was very stiff even in comfort and my wife is now telling me to get the 750i, cause the m5 was very jittery and throttle was super response for her. I loved it, but it was stiff. As a daily it will annoy me.

So the non-comp may be able to help me convince her otherwise I hope?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanswan View Post
I drove the m5 2014 comp package today. It was very stiff even in comfort and my wife is now telling me to get the 750i, cause the m5 was very jittery and throttle was super response for her. I loved it, but it was stiff. As a daily it will annoy me.

hmmm. I had a 750LI loaner during my 1200 mile break-in service and I thought the my M5 road smoother than the 7 series and the run flat tires.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 PM
6' / 250lbs

Mein Auto: '12 X5 + '14 M5 SOON!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanswan View Post

This is exactly why I opted for the std/non-comp pack. It's my daily driver and I require something comfy enough for rough roads and city driving every day.
- Full IND cosmetic package / 12mm Macht Schnell Spacers / SunTek CXP tint - 18% / 5% sunroof / 55% windshield
Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D and 2014 M5
Can not even imagine wife driving with CP. My wife DDs my M5 and neither she nor I could probably deal with 1 inch lower. I have scraped the bottom a few times already, would have been much worse with CP.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3 Coupe
CP is not an inch lower... 10 mm (0.4 in.)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D and 2014 M5
Pardon me, I meant 1 cm

Old 07-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F10 M5
CP M5 is not that bad at all in terms of ride quality. Comfort is more than enough. The sport+ in it is like sport in my M3 and comfort in my M3 is like sport in the M5. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Exhaust sounds much better, and you can feel the extra hp and longer torque band when you redline the car.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
CP M5 is not that bad at all in terms of ride quality. Comfort is more than enough. The sport+ in it is like sport in my M3 and comfort in my M3 is like sport in the M5. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Exhaust sounds much better, and you can feel the extra hp and longer torque band when you redline the car.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Great review. Of course the M5 is no track car. Competition pkg just is not offering much.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215