Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: F15
30d review

From Carscoops.com http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/new...boss-gets.html

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Thanks for the link. Interesting that even these guys are negative about the steering. I guess I'll have to go and test drive one during my next service appointment...
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Thanks for the link. Interesting that even these guys are negative about the steering. I guess I'll have to go and test drive one during my next service appointment...
In regards to the steering I think people forget that it isn't a LeMans racing car. It is a comfortable cruiser and that it does very very well. Around town the steering is very accurate and (probably a little too) light. On the freeway the steering firms up very nicely. If people want heaps of feel then they should probably look at an M3.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupratt View Post
In regards to the steering I think people forget that it isn't a LeMans racing car. It is a comfortable cruiser and that it does very very well. Around town the steering is very accurate and (probably a little too) light. On the freeway the steering firms up very nicely. If people want heaps of feel then they should probably look at an M3.
I would imagine most of the comments are driven from comparisons to the previous generations feel. Keep in mind...people seem to always have the need to find fault with something!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
for some firm BMW steering was one of the most important reasons to buy this car and not Audi or Mercedes...

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I have the 2014 X3 loaner right now and I can confirm that the steering at low speeds is so light that I feel very nervous driving it... but at highway speeds the steering does tightened up when I press up to sports mode from comfortable and Eco modes...

I am reading that people with the SAT ( Sports auto trans ) and DHP ( Dynamic Handling Package ) that has the sports button that you can press tightens the steering even more almost to how you would feel in a E70. To bad this option is not standard and most people won't get to test this without purchasing it in hopes that it will help with the steering feedback feel...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
for some firm BMW steering was one of the most important reasons to buy this car and not Audi or Mercedes...
We just switched to the new X5 and the lighter steering is taking some time to get used to. In the previous one, it was very tight. It built confidence as you drove. The new one feels like my MB (light and disconnected).

I don't know why BMW felt they had to mess with a good thing, but so far I am not sure they went in the right direction.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Byte View Post
I don't know why BMW felt they had to mess with a good thing, but so far I am not sure they went in the right direction.
They did it to cater the larger part of their customer base. Us enthusiasts are a very small portion of their sales revenue...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
They did it to cater the larger part of their customer base. Us enthusiasts are a very small portion of their sales revenue...
Yea, there was a time when BMW differentiated itself on many fronts. Today, it's getting more and more difficult to tell the difference between it and the other brands.