Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM
rmurwin rmurwin is offline
Registered User
Location: Spring Hill, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 1997 1.9 Roadster
Z3 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Hi everyone,

New Z3 owner here, it's a 1997 1.9 Liter; I owned it for about 6 hours before I found the first problem that I have to fix on it.

The clutch slave cylinder (OUTPUT CYLINDER CLUTCH) is leaking quite badly. So much that the clutch doesn't disengage any more.

Here is my question: Rebuild kit or entire slave cylinder, which is the better choice?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 PM
BeemerMikeTX's Avatar
BeemerMikeTX BeemerMikeTX is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: League City, TX and Santiago, Chile
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 774
Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurwin View Post
Hi everyone,

New Z3 owner here, it's a 1997 1.9 Liter; I owned it for about 6 hours before I found the first problem that I have to fix on it.

The clutch slave cylinder (OUTPUT CYLINDER CLUTCH) is leaking quite badly. So much that the clutch doesn't disengage any more.

Here is my question: Rebuild kit or entire slave cylinder, which is the better choice?

Thanks in advance.
From realoem, a new clutch slave cylinder is about $83.00. Hmmmm . . . a new one for $83, or rebuild a 17-year-old one with a repair kit that costs $41. It would be a pretty quick decision for me (new one).
__________________
Mike White
"That's right, you're not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway." -LL
2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster (Topaz Blue Metallic, 5-speed manual, Sport Package, CD radio, heated seats and mirrors, non-power top via special order)
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 03-17-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM
rmurwin rmurwin is offline
Registered User
Location: Spring Hill, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 1997 1.9 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
From realoem, a new clutch slave cylinder is about $83.00. Hmmmm . . . a new one for $83, or rebuild a 17-year-old one with a repair kit that costs $41. It would be a pretty quick decision for me (new one).
Right. I get that. I was thinking similar things... I found it on realoem also, but it doesn't look like they sell parts... where do festers like to buy their parts from?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM
BeemerMikeTX's Avatar
BeemerMikeTX BeemerMikeTX is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: League City, TX and Santiago, Chile
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 774
Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurwin View Post
Right. I get that. I was thinking similar things... I found it on realoem also, but it doesn't look like they sell parts... where do festers like to buy their parts from?
Look at the bottom of the realoem parts diagram that has the clutch slave cylinder. You will see the rebuild (repair) kit, for $41.
__________________
Mike White
"That's right, you're not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway." -LL
2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster (Topaz Blue Metallic, 5-speed manual, Sport Package, CD radio, heated seats and mirrors, non-power top via special order)
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Bob2.8 Bob2.8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Duluth MN
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: 1997 2.8
Get the part # and check some of the site sponsors,
for example here a replacement for mine is $36.95
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Blacklane Blacklane is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Springfield, Ohio, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,151
Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
There are a few other sources for OEM parts here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=681393
This is also the perfect time for a new stainless steel clutch line and Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) delete, if so equipped.
Also, be sure to search here on how to bleed the slave cylinder. It must be done correctly before completing the installation.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 PM
rmurwin rmurwin is offline
Registered User
Location: Spring Hill, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 1997 1.9 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
There are a few other sources for OEM parts here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=681393
This is also the perfect time for a new stainless steel clutch line and Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) delete, if so equipped.
Also, be sure to search here on how to bleed the slave cylinder. It must be done correctly before completing the installation.
Thanks for the pointers. I'll do a search to find out what you mean.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM
vintage42's Avatar
vintage42 vintage42 is offline
BMW CCA 1405
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,635
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2.8 View Post
Get the part # and check some of the site sponsors,
for example here a replacement for mine is $36.95
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
The PN is 21 52 1 159 045. Also available from ECSTuning.com for a little more. But ECST shows that at that price, the part is made by febi, a very reputable aftermarket mfr, rather than OE:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site..._52_1_159_045/
http://www.febi.com/febius/home.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
vintage42's Avatar
vintage42 vintage42 is offline
BMW CCA 1405
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,635
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurwin View Post
Thanks for the pointers. I'll do a search to find out what you mean.
This...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post27417074
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Blacklane Blacklane is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Springfield, Ohio, USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,151
Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Or slightly more complete, this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=614294
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-18-2014, 06:37 AM
rmurwin rmurwin is offline
Registered User
Location: Spring Hill, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 1997 1.9 Roadster
Thanks for all the good advice; I'll apply your collective wisdom to my situation and let you know how it works out.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM
rmurwin rmurwin is offline
Registered User
Location: Spring Hill, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 1997 1.9 Roadster
I installed the slave cylinder and while bleeding it discovered that something else was wrong; the piston/shaft wasn't contacting anything apparently and it came completely out of the cylinder. It dropped into the housing... So I put it on the trailer and took it to my mechanic. He managed to fish the piston and the thing the piston is supposed to push on out of the housing and got it fixed up and working for me. Unfortunately he also told me that it has a bad wheel bearing on the right-rear (that's what that noise is?), so I won't get it back until tomorrow.

So here is my question for you guys now: when you take the slave cylinder out, is there another part you have to be aware of and remove at the same time (or at least make sure it stays in place before you put the new slave back in)? Basically, how did I screw it up?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM
vintage42's Avatar
vintage42 vintage42 is offline
BMW CCA 1405
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,635
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurwin View Post
... when you take the slave cylinder out, is there another part you have to be aware of and remove at the same time... Basically, how did I screw it up?...
It has happened before. This thread says you just need to be sure the slave's pin seats on the lever inside the bell housing.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Clutch-Install
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Dale K Dale K is offline
Registered User
Location: SE WA State
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
It has happened before. This thread says you just need to be sure the slave's pin seats on the lever inside the bell housing.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...Clutch-Install
Correct. If you're installing the slave, and there isn't noticeable (quite a few pounds of force) resistance (push back) to getting it seated on the mounting bolts, you're doing it wrong. If that pin/rod is going into dead air space instead of being seated in the detent on the lever arm, it's going to shoot out of the cylinder on the first application of the clutch.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
output cylinder, slave, slave cylinder, z3


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms