Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X6 3.5i
Third Row

Considering getting my wife an X5. She currently drives a GL. Are the seats in the third row large enough for booster seats which are required in NJ for kids less than 8 years old or 80 lbs?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: F15
We picked our X5 up on Monday and used my daughter's seat in the 3rd row. Fit just fine, but it probably depends on the size of the seat. She is using a booster now which is fine, but the Britax seat that she used when she was younger might not fit (that was a big seat if I recall correctly).

Old 04-03-2014, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 Xdrive35i M Trim
I couldn't imagine this vehicle with a 3rd row to be honest.

I find that it doesn't have much space even without it...

If you really are looking for a 7-passenger luxury vehicle for a wife and kids in the same price range I would recommend a Land Rover LR4.

Sure the driving experience is very different but if she cares more about having room in the cargo area, then the LR4 is the way to go.

That's what my wife drives. I like the fact that it's a heavier vehicle with real off road capabilities. Seems to me like the family is safer in that truck. Although gas consumption is an issue. :/

Just my 0.2 Cents.

2014 X5 Xdrive35i M Sport: Space Gray Metallic/Terra Dakota Leather with Aluminum Trim; Premium pkg, Rear Sun Shades, Rear View Camera, Space- Saver Spare, Harman Kardon Surround, 20" 469M, 35% Lumar Tint, Invisihitch, Black Kidney Grills, Coded by Okee, JB4 Stage 1. Behind the wheel 2/28/14.

Last edited by Nogaro; 04-03-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi
The 3rd row might fit the booster seat, but by the time she no longer needs it, she probably won't fit back there...those seats are very small (and an expensive option to boot). If needing 7 passenger/3rd row is a big thing for you, I would honestly say the X5 isn't your vehicle.
ED Trip Report http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705892

Previous:
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
After trying to sit in and evaluating the limited space in the X5 third row seats we opted NOT to get them even though we have 2 grandkids 5 and 8. I think the seat is so small that it would have only been good for a couple years and they would no longer fit comfortably. We did get the F15 but no 3rd row. We preferred the extra storage over a seat with limited use. Rumor has it that the X7 maybe back in the discussion room, but likely at least a couple years away.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductordoc View Post
After trying to sit in and evaluating the limited space in the X5 third row seats we opted NOT to get them even though we have 2 grandkids 5 and 8. I think the seat is so small that it would have only been good for a couple years and they would no longer fit comfortably. We did get the F15 but no 3rd row. We preferred the extra storage over a seat with limited use. Rumor has it that the X7 maybe back in the discussion room, but likely at least a couple years away.
X7 has been confirmed, will be built in SC.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2014303280127
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
WOW .. thanks for that info .. maybe i should have waited .. oh well
Old 04-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: '14 BMW X5 s35i
I just took possession of my x5 on Saturday night. It does have the 3rd row which was a must have for us. Obviously, a larger suv with a true 3rd row is more spacious but I have a newborn and a 4 year old who sits in a booster seat. He loves being back there by himself and it allows my wife to sit it the back seat with the baby comfortably. It tucks away flush when not needed and should be suffice for children under 8 years old, size wise.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogaro View Post
I couldn't imagine this vehicle with a 3rd row to be honest.

I find that it doesn't have much space even without it...

If you really are looking for a 7-passenger luxury vehicle for a wife and kids in the same price range I would recommend a Land Rover LR4.

Sure the driving experience is very different but if she cares more about having room in the cargo area, then the LR4 is the way to go.

That's what my wife drives. I like the fact that it's a heavier vehicle with real off road capabilities. Seems to me like the family is safer in that truck. Although gas consumption is an issue. :/

Just my 0.2 Cents.

Had a Disco 3 and Disco 4 and the 3rd row is definitely superior to the X5's - it works for adults.

Don't discount the X5 3rd row for kids - my 2 are 5 and 6 years old, the oldest is over 50" tall, and they both have plenty of room. Don't forget you get rear comfort seats as standard with the 3rd row which slide back/forwards, plus rear air suspension. The kids would rather sit in the 3rd row than anywhere else. I expect they will work fine until they are young teenagers, and 2 x backless booster seats fit fine, but fitting the seatbelts can be fiddly.

My parents commented that the F15 2nd row is more spacious and comfortable than in my 'Range Rover' (they always get them mixed up, bless).

My bottom line, if you have 7 adults to transport regularly go with a LR4, if you have occasional requirements to transport 2 young kids in the 3rd row, get the X5, much better car overall.

There is a recurring theme on BMW forums re. X5 3rd row seats - you tend to find that those that didn't option them and haven't used them in real life, say they are too small. Those that have them and use them daily/weekly with young kids are surprised at how practical they really are.

Last edited by eaglesrest; 04-09-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X5 5.0i
Not sure if anyone realizes, but if you compare the 5 seater to the 7 seater, the quality of the second row drastically declines in order to accommodate the third row seat. I realized this as we compared the two at the dealer since we were thinking about having the third row just in case. I'm glad I stuck with the 5 seater. Also, the 5 seater is no less roomier. In fact, the furthest back roller setting of the second row in the 7 seater is the same as how far the 5 seater second row is from the front rows. No adult/tall child will fit in the third row seats. Don't believe me, but I tend to be really observant. Just my two cents .

For practical comparison: We own a 2014 Acura MDX - that car is much roomier for the third row and it's not that much larger than the X5. Also, there was no sacrifice in quality to add a third row. We also drove an Audi Q7 S-line fully loaded before buying the X5. That thing is very comfortable/roomy. It's probably one of the better family vehicles with a quiet ride and enough power. We weren't looking for something that big because we already have a 2005 QX56 and 2014 MDX that serves large family purposes - 2 adults 5 kids (3 being 6 feet and above).

Last edited by opasha; 04-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
No adult/tall child will fit in the third row seats. Don't believe me, but I tend to be really observant. Just my two cents .
Nope don't believe you, not for a second. I brought both my girls, who are both very tall for their age, to the dealership to prove the 3rd row wouldn't work and save myself some dosh. They fit without issue and loved it back there, so I now own a 7 seater.

They have been on numerous long trips in the 3rd row and complain when they have to sit in the 2nd row.

Again, like I said, those that don't own nearly always try and justify going for 5 seats, which is fine, but I'm setting the record straight as an experienced owner, so that others might not discount the X5 unnecessarily due to misinformation. I would advise anyone to disregard any comments on forums and try for yourself, for your circumstances. I can guarantee you if offered the choice of paying for a taxi home, or sitting in the back row for 20-30mins, I have 6ft friends who would make it work
Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
^ you should let BMW know, last I checked BMW owners videos from the hub, shows that the third row is for persons smaller than 5'4

Short trips still painful. X5 competes with the ml, a five seater, if you need a gl replacement:

Lx570
Qx80
Esca
Lr4

That's it.
If you can wait x7

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 04-09-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Imma too stupid to spell
Old 04-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 Xdrive35i M Trim
I would love to see a picture of the 3rd row seat when opened. Also what kind of space is left in the back? I couldn't imagine being able to squeeze a sheet of paper!

2014 X5 Xdrive35i M Sport: Space Gray Metallic/Terra Dakota Leather with Aluminum Trim; Premium pkg, Rear Sun Shades, Rear View Camera, Space- Saver Spare, Harman Kardon Surround, 20" 469M, 35% Lumar Tint, Invisihitch, Black Kidney Grills, Coded by Okee, JB4 Stage 1. Behind the wheel 2/28/14.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM

It wouldn't be comfy for a 6 footer and u can only fit one with knees left, but it works. That's why 50% of x5's are sold with 3rd row, and have better resale, at least in the uk. Sure there are way better 7 seaters, but they aren't an x5
Old 04-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Nope don't believe you, not for a second. I brought both my girls, who are both very tall for their age, to the dealership to prove the 3rd row wouldn't work and save myself some dosh. They fit without issue and loved it back there, so I now own a 7 seater.

They have been on numerous long trips in the 3rd row and complain when they have to sit in the 2nd row.

Again, like I said, those that don't own nearly always try and justify going for 5 seats, which is fine, but I'm setting the record straight as an experienced owner, so that others might not discount the X5 unnecessarily due to misinformation. I would advise anyone to disregard any comments on forums and try for yourself, for your circumstances. I can guarantee you if offered the choice of paying for a taxi home, or sitting in the back row for 20-30mins, I have 6ft friends who would make it work
My information is not misinformation. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I respect yours. We like having the extra option of a third row seat. That was our initial plan as well because just in case, it's def worth having. Trust me, I'm not knocking it down. I'm very big on practicality and comfort. I always buy things with plenty of research and experience before saying or doing anything. The leg room is only sufficient in the third row if you are pushing the rolling second row forward and then you will be left with X3 leg room if that. We had a 2011 X3 before the new X5. I liked the fact that they could roll back because the 2014 Audi Q7 and the 2014 Porche Cayenne we tested before visiting the BMW dealership had rolling seats. The X5 without the seats has a better built second row period. You can argue against that and fail because they are completely different seats. I didn't come here to bash anyone who bought the third row or misinform people. The best thing is to actually go and see for yourself before buying....which we did. You don't believe me and that's fine. I have a 5.0i X-Line with Black Dakota. I know there's a difference. I saw a 3.5i with the same leather and a 3.5d with the same leather and both had third row seats. We had the very first ML320 from the late 90's when it was released and was the only SUV at the time with a third row for a 5 seater. That car was about the same size as well and that was tight as well. Back then every kid was below 5'4" in our family. Your opinion is your own, and everyone should respect that. Making it work vs. every day family driver is a completely different scenario.

Also, like many, we own our cars for 8+ years. I have an FX35 from 2004 that is still running like a champ with 120,000 miles. Point is, kids grow up. If your family is big and your budget doesn't allow for more cars or you want to save gas, a tight 7 seater that is more expensive than a roomy 7 seater that is less expensive makes no sense for many. The X5 is a beautiful car. We're glad we bought ours and got rid of the small X3. That car wasn't worth it in the long run. Anyway, to each his own. Just take everything with a grain of salt. Some folks just buy cars online without checking at dealerships or because a lot of dealerships sell the X5's so fast that their are none to compare. The closest dealer to us in Maryland is Rockville BMW - a huge dealership - they had no X5's. They sold them so fast. The next dealership was one of the largest dealerships in Maryland called Passport BMW that got the very first electric BMW in the nation. They only had 5. So my opinion and your opinion carry the same weight.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:27 PM

Top post. Don't disagree with any of that, other than the seats. 3rd row includes rear comfort seats and rear air suspension as standard. Without it the seats don't move recline etc without a paid option. I could be wrong though, different markets have different options.

We intend to keep ours 7 years and as an occasional 7 seater I reckon it will work, even for our eldest, who is a giant for her age. I just don't want peeps to disregard an excellent SUV because the 3rd row might be perceived as a token gesture. In my experience it's not
Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Top post. Don't disagree with any of that, other than the seats. 3rd row includes rear comfort seats and rear air suspension as standard. Without it the seats don't move recline etc without a paid option. I could be wrong though, different markets have different options.

We intend to keep ours 7 years and as an occasional 7 seater I reckon it will work, even for our eldest, who is a giant for her age. I just don't want peeps to disregard an excellent SUV because the 3rd row might be perceived as a token gesture. In my experience it's not
You're correct. The seats don't move and recline without the third row, which I thought would be bad because it was a nice feature to have when I saw them in the Q7 and Cayenne. I just didn't appreciate that the actual seats became cheaper looking/feeling. It's def a good option as a backup if you absolutely don't want anything other than the X5. I'm not deterring anyone from it. I'm glad it works well for your family. Unfortunately, in my family, the taller people tend to complain when someone scoots back or doesn't leave enough room for their long legs. We have two younger ones who fit just fine in such seats. Like you and others have said, always go and see for yourself before buying and compare. This is just more information from both you and myself to help others see and note the details and comfort as a whole before buying. I'm glad I bought the X-line, despite wanting the Msport, which weren't available on the lot. The steering wheel of these two is far superior/better quality than the stock steering wheel.

Also, the models we saw were all Dakota leather. I heard Nappa leather is supposed to be more comfortable, so perhaps that might change things for the quality of the seats in terms of feel/comfort.

Last edited by opasha; 04-09-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be comfy for a 6 footer and u can only fit one with knees left, but it works. That's why 50% of x5's are sold with 3rd row, and have better resale, at least in the uk. Sure there are way better 7 seaters, but they aren't an x5
Really? Most dealers avoid the third row option like the plague, the 5 seaters are in stockpiles. If you order a 3rd row here, deposits are common.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
I just didn't appreciate that the actual seats became cheaper looking/feeling. It's def a good option as a backup if you absolutely don't want anything other than the X5. I'm not deterring anyone from it. I'm glad it works well for your family. Unfortunately, in my family, the taller people tend to complain when someone scoots back or doesn't leave enough room for their long legs. We have two younger ones who fit just fine in such seats. Like you and others have said, always go and see for yourself before buying and compare. This is just more information from both you and myself to help others see and note the details and comfort as a whole before buying. I'm glad I bought the X-line, despite wanting the Msport, which weren't available on the lot. The steering wheel of these two is far superior/better quality than the stock steering wheel.

Also, the models we saw were all Dakota leather. I heard Nappa leather is supposed to be more comfortable, so perhaps that might change things for the quality of the seats in terms of feel/comfort.
Ah right, I didn't realise that. Kids are in boosters at the moment so won't really notice. I'd be pretty miffed if I'd paid for the comfort seats option, and actually received inferior seats, albeit with the capability to adjust the seat more. I'm going to try an experiment later today with the 2nd row forward, and 3rd row up, and see if I can fit 2 x 6 ft adults in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Will report back

Yes, I have the M-Sport steering wheel and it's top notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Really? Most dealers avoid the third row option like the plague, the 5 seaters are in stockpiles. If you order a 3rd row here, deposits are common.
I read it in one of the first reviews of the F15. Went something like 'BMW expects nearly half of all orders to be specified with the Third Row Option' so marketing speak though probably based on market research. The same article also said around 80% of orders will be for a diesel engine, so must have been from an EU or AUSY market review.

We order differently in the UK - very few new BMWs are bought off the lot. Most lot sales are used or ex-demo, with the odd cancelled order becoming available. Generally speaking new cars are ordered to a customer spec. My local dealer had 2 demo cars, an MSport with 3rd row, and an SE without.

Last edited by eaglesrest; 04-10-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:34 AM

OK Third Row experiment complete. WARNING: Pictures of a graphic nature (my legs).

I moved the front seat forward so that there was over an inch knee room for a 6'1" adult (First Pic). 2nd row forward to max, allows an inch knee room for 6'1" adult (Second Pic), and then sat a 6'1" adult in the 3rd row.

It works! Just. You can sit one adult in reasonable comfort with legs splayed and touching the back of the seat. I reckon you could sit like that for over an hour if need be, think nasty economy airline seat when someone reclines in-front, but the right knee encroaches into seat 7's space so wouldn't work 7 up. If you sit with knees together and towards the side of the car (Third Pic), you can get 7 x 6'1" adults in. 5 in relative comfort, and 2 in slight discomfort. I reckon you could sit like that for 20-30 mins before you'd want to stand-up. Best for emergency use, or drinking buddies.

Now that's for adults, kids fit fine in the third row. Not sure how safe they would be in an accident though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	432937   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	432938   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	432939  

Last edited by eaglesrest; 04-10-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 AM

LOL, thank you for the details. You're right, it's reasonable if one must have an X5 with a 3rd row just in case for those random situations or carpooling your children's friends after a soccer/football game. I'm just glad I'll never have to be the adult in those back seats!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 14 BMW F15 MSport
We have the third row.
Don't use it everyday, but got it for the random times you might have to squeeze a few extra people in the car.
Chances are, those people would be kids (who LOVE riding back there).
I think if we needed to use a third row on a regular basis, we would have opted for another car.
Maybe something with "captains" chairs instead of a second row that make the third row more accessible.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Thanks for the pictures. I have three small kids 6, 4 and 2 so the older two will be able to ride in the back with their boosters instead of having to take two cars when we all go out! Perfect.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:47 PM

I think they'll stop offering third row after the x7 release for the LCI but more likely to the F15 successor way off in the future.

X5 is a five seater, never really designed for those 2 extras.

Why does this matter?