Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Need advices/suggestions for a new car

Hi, I am new here and just signed up so that I can ask a few questions about BMW. I am in a position to shop for a new car as my 14 years old Honda is dying. I wold really appreciate someone can give me some advices.

1. What can I expect on the quality?

I like the quality of Japanese cars. I have multiple Japanese cars and none has given me much trouble over the long years. My Accord only starts to have issues in the past 2 years.

What kind of quality can I expect out of a BMW? Would I be able to keep it for at least 10 years without incurring much repair cost?

2. a new 328i or a CPO 528i?

Around here, a new 2014 328i is almost the same cost as a 2012 528i but the amount of electronics in those CPO cars scared the crap out of me. No way those things can last. If I order a new 328i, I can leave out of those electronics I don't want.

3. Is a BWM with manual transmission really hard to sell later?

It seems that it's impossible to find one with manual trans. The only option is to order one, which limits my option to a new 328i. Almost all CPO 528is around here have automatic transmissions.

Would a BMW with manual transmission be really hard to sell?
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328
The quality level of German brands is not up to the level of Japanese, especially when compared to Honda. However, they have greatly improved and with the current warranty on new cars, you do not have to worry about anything for a few years. I think you have to consider that when it IS time to do some repairs, the cost may be a lot higher than comparable repairs on non-BMW cars. You may want to look into Consumer Reports and Edmunds for more info. In terms of which car to buy, you should test them both. A manual transmission should not be a problem if they are somewhat popular in your local car market. Some people on this board actually prefer manuals. I don't recall but I think the 3 may not come with a manual anymore. Check out the configurator on the BMW site to get an idea of what you could get.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
only thing I know if you expect to drive the car past the BMW warranty, its no Japanese car and you can expect to put a lot of money in the car,
brakes alone are 600.00 per axle

if you buy one and keep it past the warranty better purchase an extended warranty
Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
only thing I know if you expect to drive the car past the BMW warranty, its no Japanese car and you can expect to put a lot of money in the car,

if you buy one and keep it past the warranty better purchase an extended warranty

The extended warranty only goes up to 6 years. :-(
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschnoor View Post
What kind of quality can I expect out of a BMW? Would I be able to keep it for at least 10 years without incurring much repair cost?
From years 6-8 figure $500/yr in repairs. After 8+ years figure 1k/yr in repairs on average. Some years you won't have any repairs, other years you might get hit with 2k.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPITT View Post
The quality level of German brands is not up to the level of Japanese, especially when compared to Honda. However, they have greatly improved and with the current warranty on new cars, you do not have to worry about anything for a few years. I think you have to consider that when it IS time to do some repairs, the cost may be a lot higher than comparable repairs on non-BMW cars. You may want to look into Consumer Reports and Edmunds for more info. In terms of which car to buy, you should test them both. A manual transmission should not be a problem if they are somewhat popular in your local car market. Some people on this board actually prefer manuals. I don't recall but I think the 3 may not come with a manual anymore. Check out the configurator on the BMW site to get an idea of what you could get.
They do offer manual transmission for 328i.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
From years 6-8 figure $500/yr in repairs. After 8+ years figure 1k/yr in repairs on average. Some years you won't have any repairs, other years you might get hit with 2k.
That doesn't sound too bad.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPITT View Post
Hondas seem to have their own share of problems. Our BMWs have been trouble free, knock on wood.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
The extended warranty only goes up to 6 years. :-(
My 330i did not need any major repairs until was more than 6 years old. The cost of year 4-6 extended warranty at $3k would have been a complete waste of money. The only repair that was needed in that time frame was the both headlamps self leveling system that failed and both xenon headlamps needed to be replaced at a cost of $3k. The dealer told me that repair would not have been covered by the extended warranty. The BMW extended warranty is not a one for one extension of the original 4 year warranty. It excludes electronic/electric systems.

I did buy the extended maintenance for years 4-6 for $900. Did I make out like a bandit on that one, front and rear brakes with a $1k value alone was worth it plus the standard oil service/inspection.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post

About eight years ago I paid about $850 for four disc pads, resurface two rotors, replace two other rotors on a Toyota.

If you mean $600 per axle x 2 = $1200 for the car it is a good deal. How is that expensive?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i View Post
My 330i did not need any major repairs until was more than 6 years old. The cost of year 4-6 extended warranty at $3k would have been a complete waste of money. The only repair that was needed in that time frame was the both headlamps self leveling system that failed and both xenon headlamps needed to be replaced at a cost of $3k. The dealer told me that repair would not have been covered by the extended warranty. The BMW extended warranty is not a one for one extension of the original 4 year warranty. It excludes electronic/electric systems.

I did buy the extended maintenance for years 4-6 for $900. Did I make out like a bandit on that one, front and rear brakes with a $1k value alone was worth it plus the standard oil service/inspection.
Totally agree, years 4-6 have been completely trouble-free on the 3 BMW's I've had that long. Honestly, the car tells you in the first few years whether or not it's a keeper. If you have trouble during the warranty period, you'll have trouble post-warranty. If the car is trouble-free the first 4 years, you'll be fine for the next 4.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i View Post
My 330i did not need any major repairs until was more than 6 years old. The cost of year 4-6 extended warranty at $3k would have been a complete waste of money.
But it is not just the age of the car, also miles driven. There is a huge difference between a weekend garage queen and car for daily commute.

If you drive a lot of miles the axles might need replacement on the fifth year, for instance.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335I x-drive m-sport
Suggest keeping in mind the bullet proof nature of your 14 year old Honda is not as typical with Hondas today. The high tech nature and never ending effort to reduce costs has changed the long term quality / low cost reliability of many Japanese cars

Gone 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Automatic with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II/ Cold Weather

Gone 2010 535I - Alpine Wht / Blck Dakota - Sprt, Premium, Cold Weather, Sport auto, Anthracite Liner, Nav, Satellite, HD & I-Pod

Gone - 2006 530XI -
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
A manual transmission has resale value, especially a BMW. Try selling a Cadillac with one and it could be hard.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Hi, I am new here and just signed up so that I can ask a few questions about BMW. I am in a position to shop for a new car as my 14 years old Honda is dying. I wold really appreciate someone can give me some advices.

I like the quality of Japanese cars. I have multiple Japanese cars and none has given me much trouble over the long years. My Accord only starts to have issues in the past 2 years.

Around here, a new 2014 328i is almost the same cost as a 2012 528i but the amount of electronics in those CPO cars scared the crap out of me. No way those things can last. If I order a new 328i, I can leave out of those electronics I don't want.

It seems that it's impossible to find one with manual trans. The only option is to order one, which limits my option to a new 328i. Almost all CPO 528is around here have automatic transmissions.

My opinion:

If your intention is to keep this car for 10+ years I wouldn't touch a BMW, especially the current 3 Series which is only 2 years old and features a new engine and a lot of standard electronics.

I understand that you would like to step-up into a German luxury car as your next keeper but it is very much opposed to a rock-solid Honda or a Kia with a 10 year warranty. Different levels of engineering, different requirements as they age. Speaking loosely, if you are willing to accept a 50% increase in risk of repairs and a 100% increase in cost of repairs then you would be okay to consider a BMW at this time.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
My opinion:

If your intention is to keep this car for 10+ years I wouldn't touch a BMW, especially the current 3 Series which is only 2 years old and features a new engine and a lot of standard electronics.

I understand that you would like to step-up into a German luxury car as your next keeper but it is very much opposed to a rock-solid Honda or a Kia with a 10 year warranty. Different levels of engineering, different requirements as they age. Speaking loosely, if you are willing to accept a 50% increase in risk of repairs and a 100% increase in cost of repairs then you would be okay to consider a BMW at this time.

BJ
I am kind of leaning towards getting a new 328i with 6 years warranty, then on year 5-6, I'll just sell the car if I so choose.

Would I have trouble selling a 328i with manual transmission?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I am kind of leaning towards getting a new 328i with 6 years warranty, then on year 5-6, I'll just sell the car if I so choose.

You'd be selling to smaller pool. But the fish in that pool are fanatics, which compensates a bit. Still, I'm sure the resale value would be a bit lower. I've been browsing used Caymans and the manuals seem to be at least 5k cheaper than autos or PDK.

You can search 6 year old used BMW's to see for yourself.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP+ZMT
If you don't keep the car for 7 years or longer, you'd better lease the car.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmc View Post
If you don't keep the car for 7 years or longer, you'd better lease the car.
How is that? It seems to be 10K more.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 PM
BMW OBSESSION

Mein Auto: 14 535xi;14 550i M Sport
OP - In summary it appears that most if not all on this forum lean towards leasing for the main reason and is quite obvious - MONEY! Lease = No maintenance costs whatsoever! Buying a used BMW = is money directly out of your pocket. Long term you pay a little more. Me... I don't care about money! I will say that again... I don't care about money. I do care about being inconvenienced!! When it comes to cars always lease! On the surface it's fun! New car every 3 years, new car smell, etc. To me that's fun. Life is too short... yes, seriously! Others are more budget conscious and over analyze these types of buying to the "Nth" degree because that is how they were brought and simply "wired" in their DNA.

BMW's will cost you money down the road than a Lexus for example. They just will. Now you may get lucky on a CPO and that's what you're hoping for but it's just simply not for me. That's all I am saying.

Who said MONEY isn't everything... BS I say! Health is first, family second, money is next. Without money you can't do ****. Simply put... you're most powerful asset by far.

Once again, the Watson money soap box.. I apologize but it's the truth. Just Lease already....

2014 535XI M Sport(wife) - Carbon Black / Ivory / CW / PREM / ASSIST / HK
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
What to expect on "quality". "repairs", "resale", etc. All a bunch of open ended unanswerable questions IMO.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

Cool, that's a wise choice on warranty.

Manual transmission: Yes, harder to sell a manual because less than 1% of the American public wants a manual. No, not harder to sell a manual because they are very rare and those that are out there get scooped up quickly provided you find a buyer to begin with.

Remember that 6 years from now, someone wanting a manual transmission likely will want the Sport line, the Dynamic Handling Package, and all the other sport/handling goodies because unlike today, on the used market these deal sweeteners don't cost much extra out of pocket. Someone would do an online search for a loaded sportier car and have it shipped to them rather than taking one that's not loaded locally, this could limit your manual transmission audience and/or force you to lower your asking price significantly.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 04-07-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What to expect on "quality". "repairs", "resale", etc. All a bunch of open ended unanswerable questions IMO.
This is true. Everything we have told you (OP) is based on experiences and averages but your experience may be a lot different than ours. In terms of a manual transmission, who can say if they will be easy to sell in 6 years? Right now, the auto 8 is a better performing transmission in the mind of many so who knows. For example: I once leased an Infiniti SUV, the market for SUVs had turned upside down at lease end so keeping the car made no sense for me at all. If I was you, I would try to be sure that this move is exactly what you want. I am not sure why but your questions lead me to believe you are not too confident about this change and you could end up with buyer's remorse as soon as something goes wrong with your new car.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i manual
Quote:

At least as of today, selling a bmw with a manual transmission shouldn't be any harder than one with auto, imo. I personally had no trouble selling my e46 (and btw after 13 years, 170k miles, it certainly wasn't dying).
If anything on older/high mileage cars, manual should be the "safer" option. Also, if you are selling after ten years, there is not that much value left in the car anyway.

Nobody knows what the new 8 speed reliability will be, but it is a pretty complicated transmission, so... I do hope it turns out to be a good one, since we have two cars with it now.

You can leave some of the optional electronics like navigation/assistance out if your order, but that doesn't change the fact the car is completely computerized.