Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Help!!!!!

I just bought a 2014 328xdrive. The bmw dealership is an hour from my home and right next to my local airport....after having negotiated a good price I went to pick the car up before I had to catch a flight. I was presented with maintenance /extended warranty/ tire/perma plate/ ding repair. I wanted to think about all that was being offered and was told that I needed to decide then. Well and additional 8k later and me rushing to catch a flight. I had no idea what I had bought. Do I need all the stuff. I tend to keep cars. I traded in a Prius with 140k miles. And no repairs at all.. I just wanted some more creature comforts. And pick up.. Did I get too much warranty maintenance stuff??any advice on this would be great
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Is there really a question of whether you need $8,000 worth of extra sh!t???

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i & 2000 ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccdmd@comcast.n View Post
I just bought a 2014 328xdrive. The bmw dealership is an hour from my home and right next to my local airport....after having negotiated a good price I went to pick the car up before I had to catch a flight. I was presented with maintenance /extended warranty/ tire/perma plate/ ding repair. I wanted to think about all that was being offered and was told that I needed to decide then. Well and additional 8k later and me rushing to catch a flight. I had no idea what I had bought. Do I need all the stuff. I tend to keep cars. I traded in a Prius with 140k miles. And no repairs at all.. I just wanted some more creature comforts. And pick up.. Did I get too much warranty maintenance stuff??any advice on this would be great
8k extra..... Did they at least wine and dine you before they F%^*ed you? Jokes aside, see if you can return those unnecessary items they swindled you into getting.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Too late. Did you have a nice flight?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM

The extended warranty is worth keeping??? What about maintenance extension??? I'm def returning tires and ding repair. But the other stuff?? I'm sure I can get my oil chaned and change my own wiper blade myself.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: bwm 330ci
This can't be real
Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 PM

This is real.... And I need constructive thoughts.. I have seen elsewhere on this site
to get extended warranty. And maintenance package. I alo assumed BMW bore the brunt of problems. At least for 50k miles. Ido live rurally with nothing close(Yes I drive on paved roads)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Did I get too much warranty maintenance stuff??
Yes.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
It would be prudent to read the fine prints of the contracts and check for details on refunds and transfers(if any), and double-check if contracts are BMW's or 3rd party ones.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: E92 328i MT/Sport/Prem/L7
Quote:
This is real.... And I need constructive thoughts.. I have seen elsewhere on this site
to get extended warranty. And maintenance package. I alo assumed BMW bore the brunt of problems. At least for 50k miles. Ido live rurally with nothing close(Yes I drive on paved roads)
If you post the breakdown of the 8K charges it will be easier to give you an answer. Probably, the only thing worth keeping is the extended warranty, assuming you did not overpay for it.

Read the contract, and check if you can back off the deal. Even if you can't, it is worth reaching to the dealership (to the top finance guy, or perhaps the general manager) and complain about the high pressure sales tactic. Keep in mind that both the extended warranty and the extended maintenance can be bought after the fact (sounds like they lied to you). Keep your cool and be very polite! Good luck.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Though everyone says "no", I say to understand what you signed for and it could be a "yes".

A few people are adverse to risk and would like extended this or that. We don't really know what you bought. Tire insurance? Are you willing to fix a flat or buy a new tire when needed. Or is your driveway covered with nails?

Some people like extended warranties. I like to see how the car is. If it a lemon legally, lemon laws take care of it. If it is almost a lemon you might want a new car in four years. If the car is reliable for four years, chances are it will be reliable for two more or even six years.

Enjoy your car. Read the contracts. Once a dealer wanted me to decide now. I said that if I must decide now, I choose no, but if given a day or so to decide, maybe yes. They then said an extended warranty could be bought not just tomorrow but way, way later than that.

My dealer presented me with a long list of add ons but did not push them.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 04-07-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Client Advisor

Mein Auto: 428i M Sport
Although 8k does sound a little excessive, you really should weigh your needs on what packages you got. If you like having your vehicle serviced at the dealer and not a third party, and you keep your vehicle for an extended time like your last vehicle, the extended maintenance may suit you in the long run, no additional unexpected costs when you pair it with a BMW extended warranty. The dent and ding coverage is typically overpriced, you can usually find local shops willing to do it much cheaper should the need ever arise, also, there are typically a lot of caveats regarding those policies including the size of the dents etc. Basically if it cannot be remedied by Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) they won't cover it. The optional wheel and tire protection is a matter of personal preference and your current routes as well, I have never had to have a rim or tire replaced except when the tires are simply worn. But if you live in a metropolitan area with massive potholes and 4 construction sites on your morning commute, it may benefit you.
10671 Parkside dr
Knoxville TN 37922
(931) 436-0781-Cell
(865) 691-3917-Fax
Mike.T.Grala@gmail.com
I specialize in out of state, European Delivery
and Performance Center Deliveries!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Keep the $8k, put it in a bank, and use it to pay for repairs as they come up in the future.

I don't know what sort of peace of mind this buys anyone, paying grossly inflated pre-paid maintenance & repair expenses to BMW.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Client Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
Keep the $8k, put it in a bank, and use it to pay for repairs as they come up in the future.

I don't know what sort of peace of mind this buys anyone, paying grossly inflated pre-paid maintenance & repair expenses to BMW.
Typical savings on a pre paid maintenance plan usually average around $1,000 or better. The dealers discount it because the business is guaranteed, some people prefer to have it taken to the dealer the entire time. In this event, it would be a benefit.
10671 Parkside dr
Knoxville TN 37922
(931) 436-0781-Cell
(865) 691-3917-Fax
Mike.T.Grala@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
Everything is either good or bad, depending on the price and your driving habit! The one thing I would like to know is if the dent and ding removal is actually good at the dealer, as I had it done once at a nationally advertised franchised place and I was NOT impressed. I mean yes the dent is gone but you can still see the ripple. I wonder if it is better at the dealer. So if you end up keeping the dent and ding coverage and get to use it, please let us know what kind of result you get, we would certainly appreciate it!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 320i ZSP, 8AT, BMS Stage1
$8000 of extra crap? Wow. Buying an extended warranty when you get a new car is the worst decision ever since the car has free maintenance for 4 years and the powertrain is good til 60k. You have years to decide whether or not youll keep the car long enough to use the extended warranty at which point BMW will send you offers in the mail to buy the same thing you bought, but probably for less. You got fleeced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunk99 View Post
You drive a 320 so pretty sure you have nothing of value to contribute.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Client Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
Everything is either good or bad, depending on the price and your driving habit! The one thing I would like to know is if the dent and ding removal is actually good at the dealer, as I had it done once at a nationally advertised franchised place and I was NOT impressed. I mean yes the dent is gone but you can still see the ripple. I wonder if it is better at the dealer. So if you end up keeping the dent and ding coverage and get to use it, please let us know what kind of result you get, we would certainly appreciate it!
Most dealers subsidize the work to a third party, so it would be different with every single dealer.
10671 Parkside dr
Knoxville TN 37922
(931) 436-0781-Cell
(865) 691-3917-Fax
Mike.T.Grala@gmail.com
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
$8000 of extra crap? Wow. Buying an extended warranty when you get a new car is the worst decision ever since the car has free maintenance for 4 years and the powertrain is good til 60k. You have years to decide whether or not youll keep the car long enough to use the extended warranty at which point BMW will send you offers in the mail to buy the same thing you bought, but probably for less. You got fleeced.
I believe all of the extended warranty and maintenance is transferable so it is considered in re-sale value.

Also if added after the originals expire they will no longer be offered at a discounted or even original price.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 04-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
The good news is that some of the stuff that you bought is a good deal and the rest, spread out over the life of the car, is not that much money. Some of what you spent made up to the dealer what he had given you in the low price. Still, he took advantage of you when you were trying to catch a plane. That is not the way that most of us want to do business.

Now please tell the rest of us the name of your dealer. The least you can do to get back is to give him the bad reputation that he deserves.

It sounds like you will be locked into this dealership for the warranty work. Just remember, the first lie is followed by another. Be wary of everything the service department tells you. I would buy tires and anything else that comes out of my own pocket somewhere else. You know, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Sorry to hear your story.

Last edited by After Hours; 04-08-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Because you say you tend to keep your cars, I would have gone with the extended warranty, the wheel and tire coverage (you need this living in the Northeast), and the ding repair. However, $8K seems a bit excessive. These extras are negotiable, you know.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

If can be verified, you got 'em where it counts!

Ain't so....
Old 04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Man of the People

Mein Auto: '75 2002, '14 435i
Sitting through the after-sale F&I process is probably the worst part of buying a new car. Dealers use high-pressure tactics in selling these warranties because it's pure profit for them. A good F&I person can make well into a six figure salary and boatloads of money for the dealer.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 04-25-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
My my ... what an unfortunate buyer experience.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Big View Post
Sitting through the after-sale F&I process is probably the worst part of buying a new car. Dealers use high-pressure tactics in selling these warranties because it's pure profit for them. A good F&I person can make well into a six figure salary and boatloads of money for the dealer.
The F&I guy I had for my F30 was pretty funny. After about 5 minutes of conversation (me trying to get him to budge on tint, him not budging an inch) he said, "I've been doing this for a while and I can usually tell when someone's not interested. So here's some brochures on what we have to offer. Call me if you decide you want to buy anything. Now let's get that paperwork finalized so you can be on your way."

Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@GraysonBMW View Post
Typical savings on a pre paid maintenance plan usually average around $1,000 or better. The dealers discount it because the business is guaranteed, some people prefer to have it taken to the dealer the entire time. In this event, it would be a benefit.
Come on.... I have to believe that most people don't even break even on these maintenance plans, let alone come out ahead. Plus, you don't have to buy it at the time of your car purchase. Waiting is really the smart move. If you sell or wreck your car, it's money wasted.