Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: GS430
M3/M4 as Daily Driver

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on something, most likely an M3/M4. However, I'm interested in the practicality of such a machine. I'm finally at the point in my life where I can easily afford this, but I've never actually driven one. And now that they're boosted, it makes more sense (I live in Utah, and NA engines are comparative dogs at this elevation).

And given the fact that they aren't even out yet, I probably won't be able to drive it until I actually buy one.

This may seem like a silly questions to some here, but compared to the 335i/435i variant, how aggressive is this thing going to be on an engine noise / jarring ride perspective? The closest thing I've driven that may be on par with speed/handling is an R8 spyder - but that's just looking purely at specs. I have no idea how it compares in ride/handling/noise (not to mention a NA v10 vs a highly boosted 6).

I don't plan on tracking this at all, and weekend winding mountain roads are about as crazy as I will get. Most of the time will be daily driving between work, home, errands, etc. I sometimes take drives to Denver a couple times a year (6-7 hour highway drives).

My wife will also be taking it out every now and then for fun, so it needs to be drivable for her.
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Just my opinion but it sounds like youre in tje market for a 435 sport with ppk and premium pkg. M3s can be daily drivers but thats not usually the case. Then agaon you cant beat the engine noise and the experience of an m3. Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive M
I have driven an E92 M3 Coupe w Comp Pck for the last 3 years. I also have an F30 335 w all the trimmings including the PPK & exhaust.

I can answer your question with great experience.

First off, it is a completely different game.

The 335/435 is subtle and refined versus the M3 which will rattle your filings if you make the mistake of hitting a small pothole.

The M3 needs to be pushed (which is what I like), the 335/435 can be put through it paces with little effort.

I'm glad to hear that you can "easily" afford an M3, be sure to understand there other cost associated with a car like an M3 than just the sticker.

If driven properly, you will go through a set of tires every 6k to 10k miles. $1,200.

Your insurance will be insane. $$$

Gas... you might come to believe that you have a puncture in your tank. $$$

You will get speeding tickets. I don't care what you say, you will get speeding tickets and the cop will not find it cool that you own an M3/M4. He/she will hate.

If you are looking for an everyday driver and you can "easily" afford an M3, than you should be easily able to afford a daily driver and an M3.

Any questions?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
If you're looking at a new F80/F82, it should be a lot easier to DD. You've got something like 400 ft lbs of torque right off idle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
I have a M3 as my daily driver and I find it to be a very good DD. I wanted the feeling that the ///M car feels like compared to the non-m versions of the car. I am a car guy through and through and love to drive. It always puts a smile on my face when I take a corner, turn, downshift accelerate etc in this car. I have had many BMW's and I have to say the //M cars will change you.... If you don't have that same kinda passion, i would not wast the money on a ///M and get a #35. If you need a bit more power, you can always get 30-40hp pretty cheap to bump it to help fill that gap
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 128
I would say go for it, but I would also say drive one first. What's the hurry?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M6 F13
I drive the F13 M6 Coupe as a daily driver. Grocery shopping, to and from work, basically everywhere including a few several hour trips.

I have to say driving an M car with the sport-tuned suspension really rattles your bones after awhile but the joy of mashing the pedal and taking off is priceless
Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Any idea what the insurance premium increase is compared to a 'normal' BMW? I have a 535i now and it is about 1200/yr. Thx
2011 535i (ED Jun 2011) Cashmere Silver, Cinnamon, Anthracite wood, anthracite headliner, PP1, PP2
Past: 2008 335i Coupe, Montego Blue, Crimson Red, 6MT
2006 528i (ED)
2003 528i (ED)
2001 Audi TT 225hp, 6MT
1998 528i
1995 318iS

Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racers1600 View Post
The 335/435 is subtle and refined versus the M3 which will rattle your filings if you make the mistake of hitting a small pothole.

Your insurance will be insane. $$$

Gas... you might come to believe that you have a puncture in your tank. $$$
I have never owned an M3, but I want to disagree with these 3 statements.

It looks like it's possible to get an adaptive suspension, so that will likely have a comfort setting.

Most people report marginal higher insurance than, say, a fully decked out 335.

The mpg with the 6 cylinder is going to be a lot better than the 8 cylinder. My guess is that it will be close to 30 mpg hwy, 20 mpg city which is not that much worse than an E90/92.

However, going back to the daily driver thing. I don't think there is an issue with using the car as a daily driver. It's just that it is very expensive per mile and because of low profile tires, you could risk damaging the rims (I would get the tire and wheel insurance for this car) if you drive it on bad roads. Also, it might not be the best thing in inclement weather if you get any snow/ice where you are or drive to places that have it.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997

Last edited by mr_clueless; 04-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanp View Post
Any idea what the insurance premium increase is compared to a 'normal' BMW? I have a 535i now and it is about 1200/yr. Thx
Just call your insurance co. They will be able to give you a quote. I did that when I owned a civic 12 years ago and was thinking of getting a BMW.

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: can you guess?
I thought the M3 was supposed to be a daily driver, not something for the track?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
DCT is amazing and with two m buttons you can program one for race time and another for DD..

I.e. Steering, suspension, and throttle response can all be adjusted.

I normally drive around in bar 1 of transmission and economy settings and comfort and comfort but when I see someone trying to cause problems I hit m1 on the steering wheel MHUD comes up sport plus, sport plus, sport plus and tranny shifting to the max...

They are night and day differences... The dct is even more advanced compared to the E92 and it is more responsive and doesn't freakout as much as the previous gen did when getting on and immediately laying off on the throttle.

You'd be silly to buy a 435i as that would provide even less customization for daily driving settings.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I have never owned an M3, but I want to disagree with these 3 statements.
I do own a M3(e90) I will disagree with your disagree

Quote:
It looks like it's possible to get an adaptive suspension, so that will likely have a comfort setting.
Yes there is EDC on the M3 but is is not like a std bmw with comfort, sport, sport plus. It is firm yet a bit more compliant. By no means would I consider it a comfort mode. It is for keeping better traction with the car based on suspension loads.

Quote:
Most people report marginal higher insurance than, say, a fully decked out 335.
As soon as the insurance company sees an //M in the name, your insurance will go up. M cars are more expensive to fix all the way around. My 2011 M3 is more expensive than my 2012 X5 which has only 14 less HP and cost almost 10K more than the M3. My M3 insurance was more than my 550Msport which had almost the same price.

Quote:
The mpg with the 6 cylinder is going to be a lot better than the 8 cylinder. My guess is that it will be close to 30 mpg hwy, 20 mpg city which is not that much worse than an E90/92.
believe me, the ///M loves gas. You will not find many people who get the advertised MPG. If you drive it like it is made of glass and keep the RPMs below 4k you will get better MPG but that is wasting the other 4.3k of the RPM range which is the REAL reason you would actually buy an M3. Yes this is compared to the E90 V8 but I can only assume it will be the same for the TTi6 you will want to enjoy the entire 7x00 redline. This will change with the new TTI6 but until people actually begin to drive these cars, we will not know or make assumptions.

Quote:
However, going back to the daily driver thing. I don't think there is an issue with using the car as a daily driver. It's just that it is very expensive per mile and because of low profile tires, you could risk damaging the rims (I would get the tire and wheel insurance for this car) if you drive it on bad roads. Also, it might not be the best thing in inclement weather if you get any snow/ice where you are or drive to places that have it.
If you own an expensive luxury car your already facing an expensive per mile cost and the difference in owning a M3 not really that much more(depending on what you had before) and how you maintained your previous car before. I follow old school BMW fluid schedules on all my past and current BMW's for drive train(aka change BS lifetime oils) and my oil changes are about 6-7K.

M3's have 18' standard wheels and 19" option which is basically the same on most luxury cars now so I would not really consider this an issue. My X5 and past 5 series all had 19's and I never had an issue. You just have to be aware of the road.

As for snow and ice, I personally (and many feel the same way) believe the M3 with the LSD actually performs much better than your standard BMW with an open Diff and even Xdrives. Yes in deep snow you are going to have some issues but you can manage. Yes it is pretty much a given you will need a winter tire package. My M3 with a winter setup performs just as well as a BMW w/ Xdrive with all seasons.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500

Last edited by MRV99; 04-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
As for snow and ice, I personally (and many feel the same way) believe the M3 with the LSD actually performs much better than your standard BMW with an open Diff and even Xdrives. Yes in deep snow you are going to have some issues but you can manage. Yes it is pretty much a given you will need a winter tire package. My M3 with a winter setup performs just as well as a BMW w/ Xdrive with all seasons.
I was hill climbing fine in roughly an inch or two but going through a mountain anymore I think I woulda been toast. Winter tire setup would have helped a lot but this was on supersports
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: Jetta 2013 Tdi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
I do own a M3(e90) I will disagree with your disagree

Yes there is EDC on the M3 but is is not like a std bmw with comfort, sport, sport plus. It is firm yet a bit more compliant. By no means would I consider it a comfort mode. It is for keeping better traction with the car based on suspension loads.

As soon as the insurance company sees an //M in the name, your insurance will go up. M cars are more expensive to fix all the way around. My 2011 M3 is more expensive than my 2012 X5 which has only 14 less HP and cost almost 10K more than the M3. My M3 insurance was more than my 550Msport which had almost the same price.

believe me, the ///M loves gas. You will not find many people who get the advertised MPG. If you drive it like it is made of glass and keep the RPMs below 4k you will get better MPG but that is wasting the other 4.3k of the RPM range which is the REAL reason you would actually buy an M3. Yes this is compared to the E90 V8 but I can only assume it will be the same for the TTi6 you will want to enjoy the entire 7x00 redline. This will change with the new TTI6 but until people actually begin to drive these cars, we will not know or make assumptions.

If you own an expensive luxury car your already facing an expensive per mile cost and the difference in owning a M3 not really that much more(depending on what you had before) and how you maintained your previous car before. I follow old school BMW fluid schedules on all my past and current BMW's for drive train(aka change BS lifetime oils) and my oil changes are about 6-7K.

M3's have 18' standard wheels and 19" option which is basically the same on most luxury cars now so I would not really consider this an issue. My X5 and past 5 series all had 19's and I never had an issue. You just have to be aware of the road.

I love hearing all the pros to the M3 it's making my decision much harder I like how it's good in the snow that will make it better for me to have it as a daily driver and slap some winters on for the winter season. should it be doing better than my company car which is a jetta diesel FWD with winters?