Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 range rover 4.4
M62 Timing Chain/Guide Replacement P0011

Hi everyone, my name is ryan and I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 which as you all know uses BMWs M62 Engine. It was a mechanics special. When it started the chain made all sorts of constant rattle and then it would idle down to about 400rpm. Also the code p0011 was displayed. So i decided to drop te lower oil pan to find broken timing chain guide pieces everywhere. Having some mechanical knowledge and lots of time on my hands I thought I would tackle this job with intentions of replacing all chain, guides. Tensioners, gaskets, and seals. Getting the fan bolt off was easy, also the crank bolt was fairly easy for me. All in all I removed valve cover, coils, radiator, upper timing covers, alternator. Power steering, all belts an pull-ups, and finally lower timing cover. Now with the front of the engine completely showing all necessary chains and what not. I noticed the middle u type guide on the main chain was completely missing all its plastic. My intentions are to replace all 4 chains, all Tensioners and start putting back together. This is where I am completely stuck. Not sure if infact the chain has allready skipped teeth. As I was inspecting the looseness of the chain near the drivers side bank cam. I lifted the chain a little to much and saw the cams turn several teeth (I'm thinking wtf) what have I done. Is this bad? Now I know for sure nothing is lined up? All I know is how to set the crank at TDC but I have no idea on how to line the 4 cams. It also has vanos which I don't have much knowledge about. I'm hoping I didn't ruin anything. I don't want to move anything or mess with it till I have a little bit of guidance. Please help me. I will send pictures and do whatever it takes. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
I think because you removed the oil lines there was no pressure to keep the VANOS locked in place. Not to worry, it's not misaligned as long as the chain didn't actually jump a tooth. Once you have the pin locked on the crankshaft you have TDC, and can go from there. Here's the thing though. You really need to invest in this tool which it sounds like you have already, but you should keep the cams locked until you've finished checking everything including the slack in the chains. VANOS can make it very confusing, it would sort itself out once it runs so long as you timed it right.

Going forward I would lock the cams immediately, finish the install and checks, then see how it runs. In other words don't mess with either Vanos unit until the engine corrected Vanos at idle.
They would be centered after that, then you could change them out with their own procedure if that was on your list.
Another thing, only the drivers side top chain around the intake and exhaust cam should have moved a few degrees when you accidentally turned it a few degrees yes? Which means the crank was locked, yes? If not, and any lower chains moved then the entire engine should be retimed.

P.S. You drive a Land Rover, so we shouldn't be helping you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M62 Timing.pdf (2.64 MB, 1919 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the reply I Havnt removed the oil lines on top of the cams yet. The crank is not locked nor set at TDC at the moment. Also when I lifted the loose main chain abit near the drivers side cam, I infact did see the drivers side cams jump clockwise several teeth. I really don't know what to do or how to take it from here. I don't want to touch the crank if everything is misaligned now what can I do. I've got 10 hours into this so far. All the parts and rights gaskets will cost approx $1,200 then another 10 hours re installing everything. I'm just hoping that I didn't ruin anything so I won't be waisting my time and money.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM

So lets assume chain accidentally jumped teeth tip and bottom. Where do I start to retune engine before installing new chains, guides, etc... And how do I first check to see exactly how off all the cams and crank is to assess if it is detrmental
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansprimeauto View Post
So lets assume chain accidentally jumped teeth tip and bottom. Where do I start to retune engine before installing new chains, guides, etc... And how do I first check to see exactly how off all the cams and crank is to assess if it is detrmental
Never had to deal with this issue. I've searched quite a bit just now across X5, 740, 540, Range, on xoutpost bimmerforums etc...
Doesn't seem many people had this issue or posted. What I do know is that once the crank is at TDC, the first lobes on both cams for one bank should be facing up almost near each other like an "A" (its in a picture in the link above.)
That's not a good pic to go off of because its all about measurements, so a Bentley manual should be on the list, or have it towed.
See if your searching nets results. Here's a few:

(1)(2)(3)

Last edited by boramkiv; 04-13-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:51 PM

Thank you I have search soo much allready and found the same thing regarding the cams but even if that bank does make an a at top dead center I don't what to look for on the other bank that I seem skip teeth for sure. Al I am afraid to rotate the crankshaft knowing that stuff is out of Alingn. I would have to rotate crank shaft approx. 45' degrees to hit TDC and I recall what direction clockwise or counter clockwise without checking
Old 04-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Propellers Up Front

I don't think the valves hit the piston, but I think they kiss. I can't find any info to back up the claim that the M62B44 is not an interference engine. See this.
And this.

Last edited by boramkiv; 04-13-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:54 AM

I've noticed on both banks at the rear of each cam where you would lock them a speacial tool, I believe each face of the square design has a different number on it. If this is true with crank at top dead center and cams locked, what should the numbers be facing up on the rear of the cams to verify that rthey are in the correct position for the chain
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
I'm having the same issues that you had. How did you resolve this? I've moved the crankshaft and the cams on the drivers side in an attempt to realign the chain and the sprocket from marks I put on the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket. I just ordered (a little late) the tools for the timing but I'm sure the driver's side and crankshaft are not aligned. I'm afraid to proceed without knowing exactly how to put everything in alignment. Anyone else out there have this problem?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:19 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
This ought to help...

http://germanautosolutions.com/diy_t..._tools_diy.php

Setting the valve timing on an engine with dual VANOS can be tedious. You cannot time a VANOS engine from marks alone, you need the tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Thanks,
That website is really informative. The timing tools are on the way.