Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
BMW X7 Preview

bmw x7
-A quick render of what the X7 might look like.

Recently BMW announced some the big news of their expansion of the Spartanburg, South Carolina production facility. This expansion will raise production from 300,000 vehicles annually to nearly 450,000 vehicles. Currently, Spartanburg produces most of BMW's X line up, the X3, X4, X5, and X6. With the news of the expansion, also came news of an addition to the X line, the X7, to also be built in South Carolina.

Just what will the X7 be, what can we expect? Well, going by the model name X7, it's going to be the largest SUV ever produced by BMW. It's a large premium SUV that will compete with the Mercedes-Benz GL. This new X will utilize an extended version of the platform used by the X5 and X6. The extension gives the X7 a longer wheelbase and more of a rear overhang, translating into more room inside. Not just a little room, but enough for proper third row seating, making the new X7 a 7 seater. The X7 will be available with only six and eight cylinder engine options. It also looks like all four wheels will be driven and rear wheel drive won't be available.

The X7 will be sold around the world, however, BMW is expecting demand to be highest in North America an China. I know the US loves its big SUVs, so I'm sure it will be a big hit. What are your thoughts on the X7?

Source AutoCar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X7.jpg
Views:	6182
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	432930  

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 04-09-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Luxury Line
BMW had to make a full sized 3 row SUV sooner or later. I asked my service advisor at a BMW dealer a few mo. back why BMW hasn't developed anything larger than the X5. He said that anything larger than an X5 would compromise performance and BMW's "handling." I disagree, sure the 3rd gen Escalade drives like an oversized boat with poor handling, excessive body roll, and a soft suspension, but my abuela's Mercedes GL doesn't even drive like a large SUV, more like a sedan. It has much less body roll, better performance, stiffer suspension, and much better quality than the Escalade.

BMW will now compete with the GL, Escalade, Range Rover, Lexus LX, and Infiniti QX56(if you consider that an SUV)
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
FYI, the X14 looks like this.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /