Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Built to Drive

Mein Auto: 2008 z4 3.0i & 2013 X3
Exclamation X3 Shuts Off While In Drive Mode!!

This is a safety issue in my experienced opinion. While driving my X3, if I accidentally push the start button, the vehicle ceases to operate. Everything stops working.....the car dies right in the middle of the road. I have no idea WHY this is considered an option while in drive, foot on the accelerator, and the vehicle does know what its doing at that point.....so, WHY would it stop? This is a serious safety issue. The start button is located next to the sliver of a button that turns on/off the autostart function and if you push too hard, the start button depresses and the vehicle ceases to operate.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM
just some random guy

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Why don't you get the software update that remembers the ASS setting? That way you don't have to disable it (unless you switch to economy mode).
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to captirwin
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Why would you want to push the stop/start button while the vehicle is moving? It's a STOP/start button, what did you expect to happen?
Wait until your stopped, at a traffic light, stop sign or...
Or as aberrant suggested, get the software update; I did.

Last edited by captirwin; 04-08-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
You would want a button to shut off your car no matter what, if you purposely press it! I agree the ass button is alittle too close to the stop start button but as everyone else stated just get the car programed to remember your last setting. It really shouldn't be an issue with everything else that could go wrong with a car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
No matter how hard I push the auto start stop button, I cannot get the car to turn off, you might have hit the wrong button. The button will shut off the car in low speed, contrary to what you think, it's a safety feature, just try to push the right button and you should have no problem. At high speed, I believe the ignition button is lock out if push momentarily, one need to depress it for a certain amount of time for the engine to shut off.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Not sure I understand why pushing the button is a safety issue any more than turning a key off and maybe locking the steering wheel.

Circa 1985 I was on a work related trip where I shared a rental car with another engineer. We were driving from our hotel to a late afternoon simulator session at a nearby nuclear power plant. On the way (the other engineer was driving) we were stopped for speeding in a radar trap. We were 1500 miles from home and this genius was downright nasty with the two policemen (actually forest rangers in an open jeep in the state park that contained our hotel). After being told there would be $50 fine that could be paid in cash, he told the cop to F..K himself, started the car and put it in gear. I instantly reached over, pushing him off me with my left arm as he tried to stop me, turned the key off with my right, and then tossed the key out the passanger window. While doing this the guns came out of the holsters and the cops were shouting to my genius friend to "get out of the car right now". Over the din of yelling, the cops to him, and him to me to give back the key, I managed to shout louder that I would pay the $50 fine if it would end the incident. To my overwhelming surprise the cops said OK. Nevetheless, this incident has remained in memory and I was curious how it would have played out with a start button instead of a key. I tried pushing the button while driving at speed (no other cars around) and the engine did indeed stop. Pushing it again started it right away but I had to apply some light brake for it to start. After we returned home I had to ask my genius friend for my $50 back and did get it back the next day.

Last edited by RhoXS; 04-08-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: E 350
That was a hair raising trip you had. Guess you didn't travel again with your genius friend anymore.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
You sure it wasn't a scam by the police to get you to fork over $50. Sort of like a large tip to not get a written ticket?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
You sure it wasn't a scam by the police to get you to fork over $50. Sort of like a large tip to not get a written ticket?

Could have been, I never really knew and it didnt much matter. However, I am sure, like most speed enforcement, it was a revenue thing. He was exceeding the speed limit but was not driving unsafely. It took place in a state park and the cops, real state police forest rangers with smokey the bear hats, did appear very professional and obviously restrained. They provided a bunch of other options including court appearances in either the local or our home states before my asshole friend went prompt stupid. I was ready to kill the asshole and they just defaulted to standby mode as soon as they knew they would get their money. Fortunately it just ended up being nothing more than an interesting story to tell. I cannot imagine how I would have explained what happened to the company I worked for if I was not successful in defusing the situation. Being on company business, especially in my industry, requires a certain conduct, both reasonably and legally, that does not include telling a cop that is writing you a speeding ticket to go F..k himself and then trying to drive away.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
It would be interesting to know where your sociopathic friend is after all these years.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche, BMW
I think he is saying the proximity of the ASS button to the start/stop button means it could accidentally be pressed.

I've always wondered what would happen if the start/stop was accidentally pressed while moving but never had the guts to try it. My concern is if the car does the same thing moving as it does stopped when the button is pressed; move into Park mode. Hopefully it doesn't or there could be transmission parts strew on the payment. Maybe the foot has to be on the brake, the car stopped, AND the Stop button pressed before it moves to Park.

I'm not testing however. I typically wait until I'm not moving before I change the ASS function; not just because of the possibility of accidentally hitting the stop button, but because the location of both buttons is difficult to reach while driving. I just wait for the next red light.
2013 BMW X3 35i Carbon Black M-Sport

Last edited by bimmernut1; 04-08-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 28i
The ASS is by default on in my X3. I am so used to it now that it's left on all the time. That little shudder when it restarts tells me the the engine is fine and ready to go. Whether it helps with fuel economy or less environmental pollution, I really don't know. It used to bother me during the initial few months but my wife never really understood why. She thought the car was kind of quiet and appreciated it. Then, I would only turn it off only when the car is stationary and never did I dare to touch that button during the drive. But I agree, the ASS button can be located in a better position.

Last edited by jeff_K; 04-08-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
One of my co-worker try to start up her brand new Nissan Murano by repeatedly push the radio on/off button
Old 04-09-2014, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
One of my co-worker try to start up her brand new Nissan Murano by repeatedly push the radio on/off button
Lmao, this just made my day.

Premium + Nav Pack | Bluetooth Audio Streaming | Video in Motion | Auto Mirror Fold/Unfold | Auto Door Unlock | Flashing Emergency Brake Light | Close Trunk w/ Button & Key Fob | Digital Speedometer | 30L/100km Fuel Meter | Gear Indicator in DS mode | M Starting Screen