Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-09-2014, 03:29 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Id say sell it privately then.
That'll probably be the case when the time comes. but at 47k before taxes and registration it's not exactly in my price range just yet. I'd say in 2 or 3 years when some low mileage pre-leased cars hit the lot I'll try to scoop one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 04-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
To french or not to french? That is the question.

opinions on E30 and E36
Frenched headlights are played out IMO. Right up there with fake German licence plates... Leave it for the high school kids.

----

In other news, I got some more goodies in the mail today. I'm really looking forward to giving this paint correction kit a try. I've read nothing but excellent reviews of it. Seems to be revolutionary in the world of auto paint. And I believe Matt really liked it, too.

I probably won't get around to using it for another month or so, though. Saturday I am joining the BMWCCA on a Cascade mountain twisty road tour, and Sunday is my big day to do all the spring maintenance I've been meaning to do for a while now (engine & trans mounts, belt & tensioner, engine oil, trans and diff fluids, clean throttle body, etc.).

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 04-09-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
How do you intend to implement your throttle body cleaner? And do you have any reason to suspect it needs cleaning? So does that kit come with a random orbital?

1996 328iS - OK FINE! It isn't really original now, Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension
Old 04-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I feed trolls

Mein Auto: 3 series
Hey everyone

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Let me help you out there Jesse

You already know how I feel about the French...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car no french.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	432906   Click image for larger version

Name:	car french fogs.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	432907   Click image for larger version

Name:	car french highs.jpg
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	432908   Click image for larger version

Name:	car french highs and fogs.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	432909   Click image for larger version

Name:	car2 no french.jpg
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	432910  

Click image for larger version

Name:	car2 french fogs.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	432911   Click image for larger version

Name:	car2 french highs.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	450.4 KB
ID:	432912   Click image for larger version

Name:	car2 french highs and fogs.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	432913  

1996 328iS - OK FINE! It isn't really original now, Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit Sport Suspension

Last edited by dwonda; 04-09-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Frenched headlights are played out IMO. Right up there with fake German licence plates... Leave it for the high school kids.

----

In other news, I got some more goodies in the mail today. I'm really looking forward to giving this paint correction kit a try. I've read nothing but excellent reviews of it. Seems to be revolutionary in the world of auto paint. And I believe Matt really liked it, too.

I probably won't get around to using it for another month or so, though. Saturday I am joining the BMWCCA on a Cascade mountain twisty road tour, and Sunday is my big day to do all the spring maintenance I've been meaning to do for a while now (engine & trans mounts, belt & tensioner, engine oil, trans and diff fluids, clean throttle body, etc.).
Stuff is awesome! Good luck! Make sure to follow the directions exactly, keep the pad clean and take a brush to it after every panel. Watch the heat, because if it get's too hot too many times the pad will start to come apart.

I'm sure you'll do it, but make sure to give it a good clay beforehand as well.

Jesse, early E30 foglights are FUGLY! They look like autozone jobs lol.

In other news, bah so many E30 parts!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
D'yall know why the french have yellow lights on their cars?

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
It's so you can hate 'em at night too.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Insane in the membrane!

I love the French, just not the Quebec ones, everyone hates them.

P.s. You're all a bunch of haters.

Last edited by dwonda; 04-09-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:14 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
It's so you can hate 'em at night too.
I thought it was the night-time version of a white surrender flag.

buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Warm Leatherette

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
How do you intend to implement your throttle body cleaner? And do you have any reason to suspect it needs cleaning? So does that kit come with a random orbital?
I'll be disconnecting the throttle body from the intake manifold while leaving the coolant hoses attached and cleaning it that way. This will prevent the spray from going down into the intake. And no, I am not experiencing any problems with my throttle body - it's just routine maintenance brought on my the fact that I'll have to remove everything up to the throttle bodies to access the driver's side engine mount nut. Might as well clean the TBs while I'm in there.

And no, the kit I purchased does not come with the random orbital itself, but you can buy a kit which does include it. I already have a Griot's Garage 6" random orbital, so I only needed the kit which includes polish, wax, pads, and backing plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Stuff is awesome! Good luck! Make sure to follow the directions exactly, keep the pad clean and take a brush to it after every panel. Watch the heat, because if it get's too hot too many times the pad will start to come apart.

I'm sure you'll do it, but make sure to give it a good clay beforehand as well.
Oh yeah, I'd never buff out a car without claying it first. Thanks for the tip on the heat. I destroyed a Griot's foam pad last year due to heat, and I was even following their instructions... Anyway, I'll be blowing out the microfiber pads with compressed air after each panel - apparently standing the fibers back up is very important with the MF pads, which makes sense.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 04-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Yup, I never used air, but that should work well. I simply used a nylon brush.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Warm Leatherette

Yeah, I've got a a nylon brush, too. Meguiar's specifies compressed air as their preferred method of standing the fibers back up and expelling spent product, and brushing them out is their backup method for people who don't have access to air. I don't have an air compressor, and I don't feel like buying one just for this task, so I'm just going to borrow one.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Awwww damnit, I have to remove all of that stuff!? I figured maybe it could be accessed just from underneath. Shows how much I know.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Warm Leatherette

Oh, it's easy. Just remove the air intake, MAF, and elbow boot. That's all you need to remove to get to the top nut of the engine mount, and it only takes a few minutes. But since you'll be staring at the bare throttle bodies by that point, I figured I'd take a few extra minutes and clean them just because I can. No big deal.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I had quite the interesting experience today....

I've been driving the E34 some since I sold the E36. The E34 has a coolant leak and needs to be topped up now and then, so I had to swing by a gas station (I know, I know....) to top it up. I pull up at the air/water machine next to a tired -- no, really beat -- looking late-90's Lexus ES. After I finish topping up the water, the woman in the Lexus says "Excuse me, I think my car needs water, but I don't know where to put it in, can you help?"

I'm sick as a dog, it's 630, all I've had to eat all day is a muffin and tons of coffee, and I'm looking at a loooong drive home.

I look in the car and she's go 2 kids in car seats. Ugh. Fine, I'll help.

I walk back over by her car, and notice there's a bunch of fluid on the ground leaking down by her front right tire. Like, not just a leak, but a big trail with several branches. Hm, this doesn't look like coolant. Get a bit on my finger and it's red and much more viscous than coolant. "Uhm, I think the coolant is the least of your worries, looks like your transmission or power steering is leaking pretty badly."

I pop the hood, and it almost falls back on my head. Oh, the hood struts don't work. Cool. We prop it open with a stick and I pop the radiator cap with a good amount of fear. It was a little low, but not bad. I look around some more and see that it does actually have a coolant reservoir. Why is there a radiator with a separate fill cap? Whatever....I go to put the radiator cap back on, and it doesn't actually latch. It just spins indefinitely. I try to line it up as close to correct as I can before I let her know that I don't think the radiator and cap is the right one for her car. I show her the coolant reservoir so she knows where it is, and top it up too.

She starts to explain that she just bought the car 3 days ago and it's overheating on her way home. She asks if it could just be low on coolant. "Well, it was a little low, but not that bad. I think there's something a little worse going on."

Since she said she just bought it, I looked around under the hood a bit and showed her that it had some oil leaks and such. Then...a little something catches my eye. There's something awfully shiny up by the firewall on the driver side. I look close, and the lid to her brake fluid reservoir is ALUMINUM FOIL. Yes, someone took one single piece of aluminum foil, placed it over the mouth of the reservoir, and pressed it down a bit to hold it in place. I was totally floored. I pointed it out to her, and told her that if she was gonna have her babies in the car she needed to go get that fluid flushed out and a new cap put on there pronto.

She looked pretty bummed by the time I was done. I felt bad for her, but yikes...that was one of the jankiest cars I'd seen in a while.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Man, that's sad.

I'm sure there are plenty of men that couldn't locate or check the coolant reservoir or radiator, but it seems to be the ladies that usually get 'taken' on a car purchase.

My wife wouldn't even begin to know what to look for if she were buying a used car. My daughter might...she does know how to change oil and filter, air filter, even knows how to change the cabin filter, how to check the coolant level, and knows enough to STOP and shut it off if the temperature needle swings even a tiny bit past mid-gauge.

What she DOESN'T know how to do is back across the yard without hitting my car!
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Santa

Mein Auto: 95 M3 --- 98 Camry D/D
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post

I've been driving the E34 some since I sold the E36. The E34 has a coolant leak and needs to be topped up now and then, so I had to swing by a gas station (I know, I know....) to top it up. I pull up at the air/water machine next to a tired -- no, really beat -- looking late-90's Lexus ES. After I finish topping up the water, the woman in the Lexus says "Excuse me, I think my car needs water, but I don't know where to put it in, can you help?"

I'm sick as a dog, it's 630, all I've had to eat all day is a muffin and tons of coffee, and I'm looking at a loooong drive home.

I walk back over by her car, and notice there's a bunch of fluid on the ground leaking down by her front right tire. Like, not just a leak, but a big trail with several branches. Hm, this doesn't look like coolant. Get a bit on my finger and it's red and much more viscous than coolant. "Uhm, I think the coolant is the least of your worries, looks like your transmission or power steering is leaking pretty badly."

I pop the hood, and it almost falls back on my head. Oh, the hood struts don't work. Cool. We prop it open with a stick and I pop the radiator cap with a good amount of fear. It was a little low, but not bad. I look around some more and see that it does actually have a coolant reservoir. Why is there a radiator with a separate fill cap? Whatever....I go to put the radiator cap back on, and it doesn't actually latch. It just spins indefinitely. I try to line it up as close to correct as I can before I let her know that I don't think the radiator and cap is the right one for her car. I show her the coolant reservoir so she knows where it is, and top it up too.

She starts to explain that she just bought the car 3 days ago and it's overheating on her way home. She asks if it could just be low on coolant. "Well, it was a little low, but not that bad. I think there's something a little worse going on."

Since she said she just bought it, I looked around under the hood a bit and showed her that it had some oil leaks and such. Then...a little something catches my eye. There's something awfully shiny up by the firewall on the driver side. I look close, and the lid to her brake fluid reservoir is ALUMINUM FOIL. Yes, someone took one single piece of aluminum foil, placed it over the mouth of the reservoir, and pressed it down a bit to hold it in place. I was totally floored. I pointed it out to her, and told her that if she was gonna have her babies in the car she needed to go get that fluid flushed out and a new cap put on there pronto.

She looked pretty bummed by the time I was done. I felt bad for her, but yikes...that was one of the jankiest cars I'd seen in a while.
Wow. I hope she got a deal on that thing.
Supposed to be a super nice day today so, lawn clean up here I come!
Also have to power wash the garage out and sweep/put my stepfathers stuff on shelves.
Then maybe detail the m3's interior and try to get my gauge pod finished up and in.

1998 Camry- DD Duty
1995 M3 Avus- Money Pit
1998 323IS- Sold/Satan Car
1993 318IS-Totaled
1995 325i-Lux- Sold
Why you don't buy Meyle suspension stuff -http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ostcount=86094
Old 04-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Mein Auto: '09 128i | '97 M3
Quote:
Wow, that's sad for the lady. She probably just needed a car and "got a deal" from somewhere and since it's basically a Camry it can't be all bad, right?

Good on ya for poking around and teaching her a few things. Too many people don't take the time to explain anything and it's detrimental.

Good karma.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Man, that's sad.

I'm sure there are plenty of men that couldn't locate or check the coolant reservoir or radiator, but it seems to be the ladies that usually get 'taken' on a car purchase.

My wife wouldn't even begin to know what to look for if she were buying a used car. My daughter might...she does know how to change oil and filter, air filter, even knows how to change the cabin filter, how to check the coolant level, and knows enough to STOP and shut it off if the temperature needle swings even a tiny bit past mid-gauge.

Lol too soon Ken, too soon.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 04-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Sup playas?
E30 87 325e DD
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM
ein Fahrer

Mein Auto: '95 M3, '04 530i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Saturday I am joining the BMWCCA on a Cascade mountain twisty road tour
I wanted to do that.. but we went on the Port Townsend Cruise last weekend and don't really want to get up early again this weekend

It's going to be a great morning for that drive..
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e30, e36, e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Man, that's sad.

You have any extra pre 3/88 sedan passenger side window motors around? Mine don't work.
E30 87 325e DD
Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 AM
ein Fahrer

Mein Auto: '95 M3, '04 530i sport
I was cruising on the highway on my way home last night, in my M3.. noticed I was matching speed with an Excursion that was in the far left lane. There wasn't much traffic. Suddenly the dude took off.. fast. I dropped to 3rd quickly and could barely keep up.. didn't make any ground. I backed off once in 4th. The Excursion easily accelerated from 65 - 100+ mph in a few seconds. I've never seen anything like it from such a large vehicle
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:

That sounds like the typical car you get from a Buy Here - Pay Here type lot........

They pick up something at the auction that runs, put it on the lot as is, and hope to sell it/repossess it 4 or 5 times before it goes to the crusher. It's a money making business plan, but man you have to be almost sociopathic to be in that business and still live with yourself.