Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 3.5d
I closed the deal on the Falkens. I won't be installing them for a couple weeks as I want to plasti dip the wheels. But I'll be sure to post my impressions. Trouble is. we've been on some 18" Hankook winter tires for several months, so it'll be difficult to think back to last summer!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Tread pattern as a style.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
I used to like the Proxes ST I: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/images/..._Proxes_ST.jpg

But they discontinued them for some reason (probably practicality) and the ST II are just your avg tread: http://www.americanmusclecarwheels.c...YO-ST2-300.jpg

Love the tire though.

-> more pics at Flickr <-
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 5 3.5d
Cool

Recently mounted Nitto Motivos on my 20's. So far very impressed. Smooth, handles well, and performs well in the rain. Seem better that the contis dws previously mounted.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Yeah, I went with the Nitto Invo's, and they seem well thus far also. The tread rating is much higher on the Motivo's, so we'll see how long the Invo's last, which are a Summer tire. I have a slight vibration and noise at 65mph only (above and below there is no vibration), but I'm not sure if that's because of the new wheels that were installed at the same time, or not. Discount Tire said that they all balanced fine. I think I can live with it though, but if others have suggestions, I welcome that feedback too.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
Yeah, I went with the Nitto Invo's, and they seem well thus far also. The tread rating is much higher on the Motivo's, so we'll see how long the Invo's last, which are a Summer tire. I have a slight vibration and noise at 65mph only (above and below there is no vibration), but I'm not sure if that's because of the new wheels that were installed at the same time, or not. Discount Tire said that they all balanced fine. I think I can live with it though, but if others have suggestions, I welcome that feedback too.
Assuming the vibration was not there before installation, new wheels and new tires should not cause vibrations - period. Either the wheels are not the proper fit for the car (potentially dangerous) or the wheels / tires have a manufacturing defect, or the balancing was done improperly.

I had a vibration at highway speed after installing Conti DWS tires on my 650i. Conti tried to pass it off as a bent wheel or defective steering / suspension part / poor balancing. I ended up going to a non Continental affiliated tire shop that determined one of the front tires had a manufacturing defect.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Thanks. The wheels and tires are the right fit. I will go back to Discount Tire and ask them to re-examine.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Make sure you have snazzy tire decals on all windows, so that people who don't know what they are looking at (like me) know that you are rolling on snazzy tires. I mean it WOULD be a waste of money if nobody notices your snazzy tires right?
No need to have 'snazzy" decals. It would serve the same purpose to just put a large sign on the two rear side windows (like the for sale signs) listing the brand and size. That way people will admire the car more. Also, to make sure the tires are not like the standard black round tires, one may want to paint them pink, and do the lettering in either white or purple for maximum exposure. That will work.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Assuming the vibration was not there before installation, new wheels and new tires should not cause vibrations - period. Either the wheels are not the proper fit for the car (potentially dangerous) or the wheels / tires have a manufacturing defect, or the balancing was done improperly.

I had a vibration at highway speed after installing Conti DWS tires on my 650i. Conti tried to pass it off as a bent wheel or defective steering / suspension part / poor balancing. I ended up going to a non Continental affiliated tire shop that determined one of the front tires had a manufacturing defect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
Thanks. The wheels and tires are the right fit. I will go back to Discount Tire and ask them to re-examine.

I went back to Discount Tire, they said one of the front wheels had lost a weight or it moved. They re-balanced, but nothing has changed. The vibration is still there at 65 MPH. I increased the pressure from 33 to 35, and 35 to 38 in the rear, but it is still there. I can feel a buzz/humm in the gas pedal if that makes sense, with the higher pressure. I will be going back to the lower pressures. I can't figure this out. I just don't know. Discount Tire did Road Force Balance, so it should have said if there was a problem with the tire or wheel.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 3.5d
I have summer tires on another car that are the same way. They will just not balance. If you are so inclined, maybe put a few ounces of dense airsoft bb's in the tire and see if that counteracts unbalance. Word of warning tho, the first time you slow down to a stop and hear those BB's fall off the inside of the tire and hit the wheels, it'll sound like you have gravel in your brakes.

I did this with 35"x12.5r15" MT tires on beadlock wheels and it worked out great. Or there is an actual product out there. www.innovativebalaning.com. That is where I got my weights from, but I ended up removing some and also went to a higher pressure.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: trucks, sports car
What is the look of the tires. They look just like blackwall tires to me