Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to orlandotommy Send a message via Yahoo to orlandotommy
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i w/ M Sport
Angry Sound System in 2011 Z4

One of the only things I "don't" like is the sound system in my new Z4. I have to turn the bass almost all the way down because it sounds like the rear speakers are going to blow out. I went to a few different local sound shops to see about replacing the speakers and they said even if the rear 3 inch speakers are replaced it still will not sound that great unless there is some type of sub-woofer. Problem is a sub-woofer just isn't going to happen in this car, they said they could create a custom box that would go in the front passenger footwell which would sound the best or in the trunk but that wouldnt sound very good.
They said that BMW uses very low end speakers even in some of their nicest vehicles. I used to have a 3 series and the system sounded great and they told me that was because the 3 series has a built in sub.
Anyways, just somewhat frustrating because I drive alot and really enjoy a good sound system in my vehicle.
Any ideas? Most places said i would need a amp, new speakers and labor totalling almost 2500.00 which to me is just to much to dump into a brand new car, and on top of that it's a lease...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
The sound system in my '11 Z4 is pretty good compared to the one in my 335is. They had really cheapened the audio systems as a cost cutting measure and received so many complaints they fixed it somewhat. It might depend on the build date. My Z4 was built 10/10 and my 335is was built 7/10.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
I always opt for the premium sound system in any vehicle I purchase and in the Z4, it was a necessity after reading so many negative posts about the standard system. The premium comes with subwoofers, better speakers, and more speakers. My system sounds good with the top up or even down.

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
Ditto, after reading early reports of the standard stereo quality (or lack thereof), the premium system was the first thing i was absolutely sure about in my order process.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
Ditto, after reading early reports of the standard stereo quality (or lack thereof), the premium system was the first thing i was absolutely sure about in my order process.
Ditto. Been in enough BMW courtesy vehicles when my cars have been in for service to hear the standard audio systems. Aweful across nearly the entire model range. I had the premium THX audio on my 2007, and the premium sound on my 2011. Both were extremely impressive. Amazing the extreme difference, and for the price of the upgrade, totally worth every penny. Definitely a must on every BMW build.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 550i / 2011 Z4 35is
I've got premium sound systems in both my E89 and E60 and the system in the E60 seems by far superior. Perhaps it's cabin accoustics.

Supposedly BMW will be offering a Bang & Olufsen option in the new 6 series (coupe at least). Sounds like they'll offer the standard system, premium system, and the Bang & Olufsen system. I'm sure it'll be a pricey option, but it seems BMW needs branded audio systems to compete. Perhaps those systems will trickle down into other models as well.

2009 550i - Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; M Sport; Cold Weather; CA; Nav; HUD; Premium Sound; LDW

2011 Z4 sDrive35is - Melbourne Red Metallic, Walnut Extended Leather, M Aluminum Carbo Trim; Premium Sound; Premium Package; Cold Weather; DCT; CA; Nav; PDC

2011 Mini Cooper S - Hot Chocolate

BMWCCA Member No. 434251
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
I think in comparison to a full sedan the acoustics of a 2 seater is going to be limited.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: FJ Cruiser
I have the premium sound in my 35i, it sounds damn sweet to my ears. There's also an equilizer so you can fine tune your sound to your liking. I can often feel the thumping in my chest when listen to music, and that's just how i like it
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
it looks like your z is not equiped whit the premium sound system.Its a shame cuz the the premium sound system is really great
Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
it looks like your z is not equiped whit the premium sound system.Its a shame cuz the the premium sound system is really great
I agree, no complaints here either!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to orlandotommy Send a message via Yahoo to orlandotommy
Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i w/ M Sport
im bumbed but oh well, not going to drop that kind of cash into a lease right after i bought it to upgrade the stereo, live and learn i guess! boo!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: Crimson Red Z4 35is
Is there anyone using a shallow powered subwoofer inside of the car like the Sound Storm Laboratories Lowpro8 or Kenwood KSC-SW11?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 35is
Anybody have any recommended equalizer settings?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app