Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Grand Caravan
2012 35i coming out of winter storage, battery issues?

Oh boy, it looks like I may have gotten myself in over my head here but hopefully things aren't as dire as I'm fearing they may be. My father in law asked me to help him to help get his 2012 z4 out of storage and I figured, why not, I'll probably get a quick spin around the block out of the deal if nothing else. My concern is the battery, He had been starting/running/warming up the car once a week over the winter but he's a CPA and the last month or so of tax season didn't give him any free time to get over to the storage unit and we're not sure if it will start. I figured I'd quickly google if it was in the trunk or if we needed anything special to get to it and I was immediately greeted with horror stories of transport modes and dealer resets. Is there really not a way to just jump start this beautifully over engineered piece of sex on wheels? Our other issue may be that the car is nosed into the storage unit so if there is a jump lug under the hood and the battery is dead we my not have enough cable to reach it. Can we get the car out of park to roll it with a dead battery?
Sorry for the novel from the newbie, thanks in advance!
Luke
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Until you try it you have no idea whether it will start or not. Is there ac power in the storage area? If it doesn't start you can jump it-read the manual as to how. You could also buy a trickle charger and hook it up for the charge. Based on what you have written, my bet is that it starts without any problems.
By the way, the battery is in the trunk, not in the engine compartment
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired
Z4 2004 -retired

Last edited by tsoc88; 04-19-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: E89 Z4 3.5i
Battery Challenge out of storage

No worries. Battery challenges out of storage are common. Don't "jump" the car directly to the battery in the trunk. Always charge and jump to the front of the car where you will find the positive lug under the plastic red cover up on the firewall and a negative lug in the wheel well. Don't use the struts as your negative, it can actually damage the strut and parts. If you have an AC plug available, go to Sears and get yourself a Gold series charger starter combo for about $70 and you can use it to trickle or start the car. It also has diagnostics mode to check your battery state and alternator function. If you have an AGM battery be sure to use the AGM mode to charge. The car will begin to act wacky once the battery hits about 50%. It goes into a protect mode and things will stop working. First thing to go is the window will not drop when you open and close door. You will find it hard to close door with top up. It begins to look like an electrical nightmare but it is just a low battery. The charger starter combo is also needed to switch the battery out so that you can leave power on the system while you change the battery so that you don't have to get BMW to reset everything and you don't have to reset all your pre-sets. A battery change in a Z is an easy 20 minute job - easy access, lots of room. For some reason most dealerships say that the battery is not covered in the bumper to bumper warranty. I find it easier to spend the $225 and just switch it. But next year do your father in law a favor and get the charger and keep the system lit. Good luck, hope you get that drive.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
The easy thing to do is just try to start it, if that fails, hopefully you will have enough power to release the electronic parking brake, if not then as mentioned you will have to charge the battery at the terminals under the hood, DO NOT GO ACROSS THE BATTERY DIRECTLY. worst case if you cannot get to the hood is the positive terminal on the battery THEN find the _ve connection cable that terminates on the bodywork within the boot and then connect the -ve of your charger at this point (not the battery)........
As mentioned if the battery is too low you may have to rest a few things ie windows etc...... but this is not a problem.

Does my bum look good in this !