Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Only the 28i is offered in 6MT. I'm keeping my I6 for as long as possible.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
I went to the BMW "germany" site and the 2015 z4 is still available in manual. I guess you'd have to phone germany to get a manual. really sad. first the e-brake, now this.

https://www.bmw.de/de/home.html

Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to maltomar
Mein Auto:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1398361799.001943.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	435558

Michael Altomare
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to maltomar
Mein Auto:
I ran into this recently when I bought my 2011 Z4. I searched a 150 mi radius from Atlanta and found only 2 with the manual transmission. I got lucky - the one I bought just came off a lease and only has 16k miles on it.

Michael Altomare
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 330i - soon 2015 Z4
Just returned from a two day M school where the instructors insisted that the stick shift will be an anachronism within a decade. After the classes, I certainly get why you would want the paddles on the track (I cannot even imagine what we did with a stick), but I still enjoy the engaged feel of the stick shift and am glad that I stuck with that on my Z4 order.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADeeter View Post
Just returned from a two day M school where the instructors insisted that the stick shift will be an anachronism within a decade. After the classes, I certainly get why you would want the paddles on the track (I cannot even imagine what we did with a stick), but I still enjoy the engaged feel of the stick shift and am glad that I stuck with that on my Z4 order.
Yeah, all those instructors are racers, so no surprise they're all about DCT, just like they were about SMG. I'm with you on the MT. Love it.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 05-17-2014, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i biturbo
I am selling my red 2010 Z4 twin turbo with 6spd manual.
39k miles. Top condition, but I personally don't like it.
red2010z4@yahoo.com
Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: Lots of 'em!
I ran into a similar issue when I bought mine a couple of years back. I went into order a brand new one but orders had been frozen by BMW at that time. I'm super impatient as it is so I had my dealership search nationwide for a manual in the color combo and options I wanted. Not only did nothing match, there were only four brand new manual transmission equipped cars for sale in the states. It was INSANE! None of them were my ideal colors and none had the options I wanted. So, I walked away disappointed.

I got a call from the dealership about a week later saying that they just took in a trade and it was going through the CPO process and it had all of the options I wanted, manual and in my 3rd color choice. So, I jumped on it! I love my car but I do wish I would have had the patience, water until ordering was opened back up and purchased my ideal car. Oh well, still love it.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Sapphirexae,

On some of these rare cars, you have to go with what's available; it's not like they are on every lot.
What was your first color choice?
I really wanted black, but took my 3rd choice red.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto:
I owe a E89 30 I6 with the 6-sp MT and drove 2 other similar DCTs, one 35 and a 28 in Europe.
The overall car control with the manual is a night-and-day difference as compared to the auto. Sure it is slower in launches, but the differences stop there.
The problem is BMW. Either in the USA, where autos rule, or in Germany where manuals rule in sports cars, the company is setting their cars to be more comfortable than performance oriented. The examples abound, with the 3, 5 and even the 6 series. In the USA, unless a special order, those MT cars sit on the CPI lots many times longer than the autos, thus a hassle and a loss to the dealers.
Yes, I can see a Porsche in my future, in spite of my heart still nostalgic for the OLD BWM company.

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black
Old 05-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles190 View Post
What was your first color choice?
I really wanted black, but took my 3rd choice red.

Deep Sea Blue / Ivory White interior

Atacama Yellow / Black interior

Crimson Red / Canberra Beige OR Walnut interior

Sapphire Black / Canberra, Walnut or Coral interior

I wanted all of them with Sport Package, Cold Weather and Premium. So, pretty loaded. I ended up with:

Sapphire Black / Coral interior
6mt
Cold Weather
Premium
and a few other random options.

I've also done a couple of personal touches to it.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto:
That's also a sharp setup.

Leo-RochesterMI
2010 30ixDrive Black/Black
Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Thanks much. Although not one of my ideals, it certainly looks awesome. I have always loathed red interiors but the E89's is just the right shade of red and a good amount of black, so I actually like it. It gets a shocking amount of compliments. I completely de-badged it (fenders & trunk) and tinted all of the windows jet black. It definitely looks rather mysterious and aggressive.

Last edited by sapphirexae; 06-05-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi Sedan
Manuals vs. Leaving the Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopy11 View Post
Have had both the 6M and the DCT...the automatic is superior...makes for a much faster car. They used to have to start a car with a crank...times have changed.
Disagree with your crank analogy. Manual transmissions allow you to get into the right gear in anticipation of a change in the road or a sudden burst against oncoming traffic, e.g., when crossing an intersection. Automatics still have that hesitation...I know because I just drove a 2014 320i as a loaner. Old-fashioned sticks are more fun to row and for a knowledgeable driver, a manual is often the better choice. One reason rarely discussed: they're more economical if you plan to keep a car out of warranty. BMWs are built to go 300,000 miles+, but I wouldn't want to "invest" in a Bimmer with an automatic transmission contingent liability.

That's me. If BMW doesn't build what I want, I'll go to Cadillac or Porsche. BMW is going to need to address its enthusiast market or risk losing its brand cachet. This new age idea of becoming a "mobility company" is risky.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 PM

I prefer manual shift.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 AM
same but different

Mein Auto: 135i, Z3 2.8
I love the control of the manual. BTW for those saying they are going over the the P-car, you'd better hurry as the handwriting is on the wall over there for manual transmissions too.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:31 PM

I have had many manuals and automatics. It has been my experience that when automatics break, a repair is between $3,000 and $15,000. Meanwhile, I've never broken a manual gearbox, and clutch-work is comparatively easy. To me simple is better. I'm not "against" automatics, they're a type of automation, and now the shift times are quicker than human reflex, they present a good argument for acceleration. I noticed something also mentioned earlier, automatics don't know your intensions. I recently owned a SL550 auto, and recently drove a Ferrari 456 auto, and both cars had typical automatic annoyances, little things, such as hesitating in a higher gear when I would have normally downshifted, and shifting early, all automotive industry "trends" to conserve fuel, and keep the rpms as low as possible. The programming is written to identify indicators suggesting when you are racing, passing, or trying to save fuel, but it cannot truly "read your mind", and conditions can change quickly.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhugh View Post
I love the control of the manual. BTW for those saying they are going over the the P-car, you'd better hurry as the handwriting is on the wall over there for manual transmissions too.
I have a close friend who is an executive with Porsche in Stuttgart. He told me recently that it is Porsche's goal to completely eliminate the Manual Transmission by 2016. Te original goal was actually 2014 but they pushed it back. The way sales are going, it won't be a problem. 83% of their sales are of the PDK Transmissions. I've had a few Porsches (all manuals) and it will be a dark day when they are gone.

I can appreciate an automatic, just not in a sports car. My X5 is Auto and in heavy traffic or towing our boat, I love the auto. If it were in any of my sports cars, I'd jump off a cliff!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi Sedan
Sports Cars and Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphirexae View Post
I have a close friend who is an executive with Porsche in Stuttgart. He told me recently that it is Porsche's goal to completely eliminate the Manual Transmission by 2016.
Yikes!

Well, I drove the new Mini Cooper S hardtop with a manual recently and that would be my ride over a Porsche if Porsche doesn't offer a manual. I really, really like the new Mini and consider myself picky about cars. The new Mini is smooth, torquey, quiet and handles like it's on rails. I didn't notice torque steer even when pushing it fairly hard. Since BMW makes the car, BMW is likely keep me in the fold when it's time for my own sports car. Either a Mini or the new Z1/Z2.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:05 PM

I bought a Mini Cooper S Convertible right when the convertible came out. Mine was a asp Manual and it was a neat little car. For me though, the corky uniqueness of the car wore off rather quickly and I kept it only a year. Great car but just not THE car for me. It was cool though, mine had every-single option and was a neat little car to cruise around in.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:57 PM

I'm going to check into simply renting cars I like for 6 months to a year.
That way I shouldn't get stuck with something I do not like.
If I get a loser, I'll throw it back. That's closer to my level of commitment to anything lately.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Anyone in here take their Z4 and have the HP tested on a dyno?
Anyone have their speedometer corrected to actual mph?
just saying..